Roof window glazing

chrisb

My extension design has two 1m x 1m flat, fixed rooflights / windows to let a decent amount of light in. I've been looking around for quotes / reviews of a particular product so that any installation requirements can be taken into consideration when the TF design is finalised.

I've seen Eco branded units here for £690 each and a U-value of 1.1.

Fakro triple glazed are £1141 from the same outlet with a U value of 0.88. This seems expensive for what is likely to be a small energy saving in the grand scheme of things in my house.

Signature units are also available, but don't seem to have any customer reviews and I've not seen them mentioned anywhere on the forum.

A quick search on eBay didn't turn up very much in the way of cheap Fakro or other branded units. However, loads of sellers are listing things like this, which seem very similar to a glazing unit that goes into a UPVC window to me.

Installation method seems to require forming a 100mm wide frame around the opening with timber + whatever roofing material you have (in my case it will be GRP, I hope) and sticking the glazing unit down on top with sealant. If that's all that is required, then £375 seems like a much better option! I guess there would be a cold bridge where the timber frame is, but this could be reduced by lining the aperture with 25mm PIR perhaps?

Any advice welcome!

Chris

I used one of the ECO+ brand tripple glazed roof windows. The quality of finish is definitely not up to the Velux / Facro standard, but in your case that may not matter as a roof light you are unlikely to look at close up. I had no trouble fitting it and that supplier provided prompt delivery.

The cheap ebay one I would avoid. I am not even sure it would meet building regs.

If they are flat and never to be opened or moved then all you need are some laminated/toughened DG units, black CT1 and some anodized aluminium 50mm angle and you're done.

Build up your upstand with either timber or an 18mm ply/PIR/ply sandwich and then do your roof covering. 

Two beads of CT1 along the top of the upstand and then on goes the unit. Let it set and then make up a mitred frame of the angle, two thin beads of CT1 to hold it on , sealing the edges and the corners to protect the edge of the glass. 

I got our two from Skylight International - really pleased with them - aluminium frames and glazed as you wish be that double or triple. I think I paid around £1500 for a 2.4x0.9m with triple glazing and Solar tint on it. There is a 150mm upstand and they provide a full kit to install it - it's screwed into the upstands, with a sealant bead round the outside of the upstand and a foam tape around the inside. 

You can see my install here - it won't be hugely different for a GRP roof. https://theoldwatertank.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/we-have-sky-light.html 

I bought my 3G Fakro skylights from Europe for a big saving. PM if you want supplier details. GBP is weaker now so saving may be smaller if purchased today. Also got my VAT refunded for this under new-build.

• Like 1