EV charge points

lizzie

Yeah, there are shedloads coming off lease. Here are some random thoughts:

• First of all, the model to go for is the 4hs (note the s). It has the cheapest insurance because it has radar cruise control, speed limiter button, lane-departure warning, and brake warning system. 
  • I don't think any of the pre-facelift models have parking sensors, but the 4hs does get a reversing camera.
  • It suffers from the usual Japanese disease of going "bong" and "beep" for no obvious reason. One of the more irritating is that lane-departure warning, but there's a secret way to turn it off.
  • I bought a high mileage 64-plate example, leased by someone who clearly didn't pay their own fuel and only cared about the BIK tax. I don't think it had ever been fast-charged, and rarely 10A charged, judging by the pristine state of the charge ports. And indeed, the battery capacity seems to be about 90% of spec (I've not dumped the ODBII data, but the dash computer consistently says I get 9–9.5 kW∙h of charge from empty). 
  • It always tells me I'll get 25–27 miles of pure EV range, which seems about right. I'm seeing 45–65 MPG on longer runs (without a recharge).
  • I've not ventured into the Ecotricity fast-charger network, but now Vince has changed the pricing (again), I might.
  • For the geeks among us, it's great to be able to completely control the regen (with the paddles). Some people like to dial it up to maximum and drive with just one pedal. But it's much more efficient not to use energy in the first place, rather than have to regen it, so I prefer to switch it off completely and think ahead, like the IAM driver I am not.
  • It's a comfortable ride. The pre-facelift model isn't the prettiest thing on the road, and the facelift brought a nicer cabin, including heated steering-wheel. But they are of course much more expensive pre-owned.
  • The paintwork is pretty thin. It's suffered from stonechips, etc. I might consider investing in a respray. 
  • According to Honest John, "Mitsubishi has built a battery factory in Cirencecester. If any of the cells become faulty they would replace all 56 (?) cells and only charge for the faulty cells - this cost was assuming the car was outside the 8 years electric warranty."
  • Bought from Used Cars of Bristol, who seemed to be decent enough to deal with.

Enough rambling. Ask any question and I'll do my best to answer.

• Like 1