Drilling through metal web joists

Roundtuit

First fix pumbing has started today.  The pic shows the waste pipe for the ensuite basin waste.  My preferred location for this would have been hidden in the stud wall that sits on the joist to the right of the current location, but that means putting a ~40mm hole approx, 40mm in from the edge of a 150mm wide joist.  It would be within 400mm of a supporting wall.  Have the plumbers just taken the easy option, or does anyone see a problem with doing that?

5978f178730ad_basinwaste.thumb.jpg.69d8a947add7b517a20b72a04485250e.jpg

Thanks.

Andy

Page 8 uses the word NEVER a good few times when referring to drilling into / through the chord. 

I'd never drill or notch one myself, not even to appease a customer ;). Accommodation of pipework should have been considered at the design stage so best to shout at someone else. 

• Like 2

Ok, thanks. Waste stays where it is, and I try to minimise the impact. It's not a biggie, it just limits the choice of basin/furniture a bit, which was one of the hundreds of little details I couldn't have even tried to get my head around in the early stages! (No shouting involved, stand down the plumbing militia!?)

:D

You can have the stud walls just off the joists which allows you to come up inside the stud, but tbh, BCO usually start crying if you put a waste pipe in a stud wall between two habitable rooms due to the noise of the water discharging through it. Have you thought of a false stud wall in front of the main one? If you plasterboard the first with acoustic control PB then fit a false 2x2" stud wall with the pipework inside that, then ply then PB you tick all the boxes and hide all your pipework ( with the ply to hold all fixtures / mirrors etc ;). ).