Garage 100mm step down

Vijay

Is 100mm the norm when it comes to the step down from the house to an attached garage?  My AT suggested making it 150mm to replicate 2 brick courses but I just can't see the point???

Cheers Ian. But is there any advantage with going more than a 100mm step? The only thing I can think of is it would bring it level with the external ground level, but I think it best to have a 100mm step and then a final slope towards the external doors, so they finish level with the external ground (150mm below FFL)

50mm slope is a big slope and you will notice it unless your garage is 10m or more. 

I would go the 150mm - it's not a difficult step as it's less than an ordinary staircase. Makes it easier if you put a landing on the door side in the garage so you don't jolt down. 

On 23/07/2017 at 18:13, Vijay said:

Cheers Ian. But is there any advantage with going more than a 100mm step? The only thing I can think of is it would bring it level with the external ground level, but I think it best to have a 100mm step and then a final slope towards the external doors, so they finish level with the external ground (150mm below FFL)

@Vijay

There's no advantage to having more than a 100mm step unless it helps with the natural level differences between the garage and the house.

Personally I wouldn't want a sloping floor to my garage as I have floor mounted racks etc in mine and a flat floor is obviously better if you use your garage for storage.

On 23/07/2017 at 20:19, Vijay said:

Garage is just under 13m externally but I'm having front and rear doors (garage door at front and some sort of french doors at the rear)

13 meters you say? Now we are talking :)