Painting over wallpaper backing

mike2016

Hi,

I want to remove all wallpaper from the house and replace with paint. Unfortunately after stripping one of the bedroom walls I found out that the original builders just slapped wallpaper directly onto the plasterboard without a skim first. The wallpaper was subsequently removed in later years and replaced with newer wallpaper. 

What I'm finding is that after using a steamer the backing of one of the wallpapers is still present. If I damp an area with warm water and try scrapping the backing away I end up removing the plasterboard lining (circled). I've started so I may as well finish but are there any good options besides getting the walls skimmed or removing all the backing/glue by hand (tortuous!)? 

I was thinking of a shellac based primer on top of the backing, with plasterboard tape for the seams and some polyfilla on this and any rougher areas? 

Thanks.

IMG_20170723_093711.jpg

40 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

If you're looking for a smooth wall then getting it skimmed seems the best solution.

How about simply applying a good quality lining paper and painting over that?

+1

This will need local repairs done with a good quality single application filler, such as Tupret, and then recovering with lining paper and then paint. Anything else will just result in shockingly bad walls.

The best job will be seal, and skim. 

• 2 months later...

Too late now, I missed it the first time. But in a case like this where you have to patch up and fill bits, surely the obvious choice is Gyproc Plasterboard jointing filler the stuff that would have been used originally when dry lining the wall.  Easy to apply, quick drying and easy to sand if you are not perfect at applying it.