Moving oil fired boiler away from house

Ok gang. Som guidance required if possible please?

At my new gaff, the boiler is an oil fired Wocester of some sort planted next to the house. This has a couple of downsides. First one is, if you have the bathroom window open you get the exhaust fumes coming in. The other is, it properly in the way of my driveway widening plan!

There is plenty of space on however in the corner about 15 feet from the house.

What are the downsides of moving it that ive not thought of. And assuming i insulate the pies and run the underground, how much will it really affect the efficiency?

Anyone done similar?

8 hours ago, Roger440 said:

yes, and yes!

Have you been watching 'When Harry met Sally' ? :D

If it's already an exernal boiler then relocating it is simple enough. It's best to either dig a trench for the pipes and insulate them as much as possible, or, if that's not practical, run the pipes along a wall. With the latter I'd box them in to stave off wind chill etc as, even with insulation, they'd still have quite bad losses. Use Armorflex as its better than say Climaflex and you'll be fine. Dependant on how exposed / harsh the local climate can get, you may want to consider a heat trace tape, but only if they're not going in the ground. 

If trenching then you want the pipes rising vertically out of the floor, in the corner of the new slab ( you'll need a slab for the boiler to sit on ) so the pipes rise inside the case of the boiler. If it's a condensing boiler don't forget you'll also need to extend the drain relocate that too ;)

Regards to the oil alteration, this needs to be done by an OFTEC registered engineer so you stay certified and properly insured. It's not rocket science and many probably just do it themselves, but an oil leak under your house would be devastating so think twice before saving a buck there. You'll also need to check all the valves and safety controls are both working AND compliant with current regs. If you fiddle with it today it'll need to comply to today's oil regs, eg tankmaster / main oil isolation at the tank outlet is operational, the isolation valve, the fire check valve and the filter are all present and installed as per current regs, and that  the flue can terminate accordingly in the new location too. 

Does the current boiler already have a frost stat?

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Have you been watching 'When Harry met Sally' ? :D

If it's already an exernal boiler then relocating it is simple enough. It's best to either dig a trench for the pipes and insulate them as much as possible, or, if that's not practical, run the pipes along a wall. With the latter I'd box them in to stave off wind chill etc as, even with insulation, they'd still have quite bad losses. Use Armorflex as its better than say Climaflex and you'll be fine. Dependant on how exposed / harsh the local climate can get, you may want to consider a heat trace tape, but only if they're not going in the ground. 

If trenching then you want the pipes rising vertically out of the floor, in the corner of the new slab ( you'll need a slab for the boiler to sit on ) so the pipes rise inside the case of the boiler. If it's a condensing boiler don't forget you'll also need to extend the drain relocate that too ;)

Regards to the oil alteration, this needs to be done by an OFTEC registered engineer so you stay certified and properly insured. It's not rocket science and many probably just do it themselves, but an oil leak under your house would be devastating so think twice before saving a buck there. You'll also need to check all the valves and safety controls are both working AND compliant with current regs. If you fiddle with it today it'll need to comply to today's oil regs, eg tankmaster / main oil isolation at the tank outlet is operational, the isolation valve, the fire check valve and the filter are all present and installed as per current regs, and that  the flue can terminate accordingly in the new location too. 

Does the current boiler already have a frost stat?

THanks Nick. 

yes, pipes would be underground. Boiler , well, whole installation is only three years old, but can't say I've seen a condensate drain? but there is sort of condensate drain coming out of the side of the house? can't say I really understand it? Was also planning to move the oil tank as that's in the way of the garage! 

BUt in principle it's do-able then. Was just worried I was missing something obvious. I shall take a pic of the boiler this weekend and post it here. Hopefully will make more sense

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2017 at 21:30, Roger440 said:

No pics yet :( 

But ive found 2 pipes coming out draining onto the floor.

Probably the condensate and the blow off aka PRV. :/  

Blow off is fine, condensate discharging onto the ground near your foundations is not good at all.  

9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Probably the condensate and the blow off aka PRV. :/  

Blow off is fine, condensate discharging onto the ground near your foundations is not good at all.  

There is another pipe coming out of the house near the boiler which drips water sometimes,. Im assuming some other condensate of some sort? Not really sure. Thats going on the floor next to the foundations too. Just another reason to move it.

Sadly no pics yet :(

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

Of it's a COMBI boiler (most oil fired outside boilers I see are) then you are going to get hacked off at how long the hot water takes to reach the tap.

Fortunately its not a combi. Hot water tank right next to bathroom. Takes seconds..

53 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

There is another pipe coming out of the house near the boiler which drips water sometimes,. Im assuming some other condensate of some sort? Not really sure. Thats going on the floor next to the foundations too. Just another reason to move it.

Sadly no pics yet :(

Well, I don't want to say get some bloody pics.....but.....

"GET SOME BLOODY PICS !!" :D

• Like 1