Accidental Swimming Pool...

Well it looks as if we have successfully installed our Condor ASP 08 in the ground, actually it is not powered up yet as we have not completed the house wiring. 

So so whilst I have a digger, dumper and a couple of mates, we started moving all the soil we dug out for the footings and slab back from the bottom of the site, looking to build up a level lawn running out from the decking.

However we seem a bit light on old spoil, so made a few calls to get 100m3 of type 1, sadly the price was eye watering and no one can deliver until next week....

We have a decent size plot, so are now pinching some from the bottom for the time being. You can see where this is leading....

Anyone any experience on low budget external swimming pools?

We appear to have excavated one!

No but you can make a stunning "swimming pond" for not a lot of money..!

Some of the stuff they do on Pool Kings in the US is amazing and that's just black butyl liner in a hole with stone around the edge. 

A lad I know just built one for his kids. Dug by hand & beer starting last October he's just finished it ready for the Summer hols.  It is I think only 2.5 x 3.5 x 1m deep (small garden). Reckons it cost him £1500 all in. Only downside is it's costing about £100 a month to heat so he's looking at a home brew solar thermal system. Hollow block construction with rebar then concrete down in the blocks. Uses a preformed liner that they make to suit what you've built.

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Can't you line a rectangular pit with 300mm EPS and have the liner onto that? 

Insulated, and a lot of cube of spoil to come out for reclamation. 

Don't think so. Any decent size and if the ground dries out it'll just "give" outward with straight sides. Different with a pond. Might even find that ground pressure is such it'll just squeeze the EPS walls inward over time.

4 hours ago, Ian said:

One my neighbours in rural Wales with unlimited free wood uses one of these to heat his (small) pool.

http://www.woodenspasolutions.co.uk/product/wood-fired-swimming-pool-heater/

I had a lot of wood onsite, however the mates that I left there working yesterday evening, have now let slip that the 'had a bit of a bonfire'.... apparently no lasting damage.... they are declining to send me photos. ;) 

53 minutes ago, Vijay said:

One thing to consider is keeping an external pool clean. My sister in law is American and she grew up with pools and hated external ones cos the maintenance was constant

The alligators? :)

Only half in jest I have rellies who live literally next to the Everglades. Each house has a jetty into the lake and there's gators in there. The idiots actually go water skiing. 

This is that small one the lad I know built for around £1500:

IMG-20170722-WA0000.thumb.jpg.3597c65ed8660ff7bc5d5ad902f98403.jpg

IMG-20170722-WA0001.thumb.jpg.1afa79c14c8efc74182bc694871d545f.jpg

"Hi mate, sorry for the late reply. The liner I got from dolphin leisure in Hastings, the underlay from somewhere else, I can't remember and can't find a receipt. The filter equipment was from uk pool store in Maidstone."

Edited by Onoff