Self build in spain

Suspect the key is to find a very experienced (10 years or more doing similar to what you want) Person from the UK who moved out there to be a Project Manager or other professional, and can recite explicit examples of the problems you wish to avoid, and how a later project avoided the problem.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 3

First step. I think we have found the perfect plot.... with in budget. Quick calculation we would be allowed 290m2 excluding basement and as the build is on a slope the basemant would only be three sided. 

First idea was to come out and do a hands on self build with icf but quick reading I see you need a builders signature and a archiectect signature on the build warrant with costs (for a tax payable to local council) . Looks like what ferdinand says good people on the project is key.

Also, Spain is different to the UK wrt security of tenure etc, and just as you can lose a house or plot, or gain one here by doing xyz ... the same can happen there.

You need someone who has been in and of the elephant traps and can explain it to you, as well as just Spanish professionals. 

I know little except horror stories and happy stories and the need to manage risk, so I will drop off now.

Are there courses for aspiring expats? There are definitely expat forums like this.

I guess we should also ask the awkward question as to whether you are better buying a new one, and if a self-build would be a money pit. Spanish house prices are still some way below their peak in 200x, and it is not clear the the economy is anything like reformed, and the euro is still a political plaything.

• In 2008, Spanish house prices fell 8.75% (-10.05% inflation-adjusted)
  • In 2009, house prices fell 6.57% (-7.23% inflation-adjusted)
  • In 2010, house prices fell 3.85% (-6.67% inflation-adjusted)
  • In 2011, house prices fell 8.17% (-10.28% inflation-adjusted)
  • In 2012, house prices fell 11.34% (-13.82% inflation-adjusted)
  • In 2013, house prices fell 9.19% (-9.44% inflation-adjusted)
  • In 2014, house prices fell 2.96% (-1.96% inflation-adjusted)
  • In 2015, house prices fell 1.71% (-1.71% inflation-adjusted)
  • In 2016, house prices increased slightly by 1.67% (0.1% inflation-adjusted)

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/Spain/Price-History

Is Mallorca different? Does it matter to you if it is not? THere's a Mallorca-booster here with a different angle

https://mallorcapropertymarket.wordpress.com/tag/mallorca-property-prices-2016/

Best of luck.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Hello Alexphd1,

As other commentators have indicated, it is important to rely on profesionals experienced on the ground. People who know well their work and have passed the hard learning process already (I'm a Spanish architect, I know how painful dealing with the administration can get to be).

There are ways to skip the obligation of needing a registered builder, but you will defenetely need an architect to sign your project. He can also be useful to introduce you on the local techniques, since they are different as in the UK. Urban Planning and legal assessment is also a key point. You don't want an ugly surprise after you bought the plot.

If you have further questions, I'll be glad to help.

Edited by selfbuild

• 1 month later...

Just a quick follow up. I am doing a lot of homework just now. 

I was having a chat with someone over in Mallorca regarding insulation. She spoke about a group of Germans she knew who insulated the houses to a German standard but this increased the problem of dampness inside, she said it is best to have low/no insulation and a drafty house.... The houses we viewed tended to be build single block, poor double glazing and a open log fire for heat in the winter, Solar DHW tank on the roof and AC units. Am i right in thinking a decent insulated house, with good 2g/3g glazing, UFH/ASHP , AC and a MVHR system to would beat this dampness ? Would the MVHR work in reverse ie chill the fresh incoming air in the summer?

In a sunny climate you need think about limiting solar gain, so smaller windows facing the right way and external shutters. We have hired several houses in the canaries and they have all been cool indoors without air co.

Avoid having an internal DHW cylinder inside the property because you don't want a inside heat source in the heat.

Use solar PV; surprisingly little in Spain. Solar thermal tanks are very common.

Bear in mind electricity is very much more expensive than in the UK. Mains gas is rare, LPG is common but mainly for cooking.

Have an external hot water tank on the roof to supply DHW. In-line hot water heaters and electric showers are normal in hot climates.

Use external shutters for solar shading.

Don't forget a pool and the best ways for maintaining water quality and minimizing maintenance and running costs. For 4 months in the winter it will be too cold unless you plan in heating at the design stage.

You will need both a English speaking solicitor and accountant in Spain.

Tiled flooring throughout is normal. Bear in mind the colour of the tiles you use; particularly if it is subject to solar gain. Tiles are cheap.

Most properties have out of necessity, wrought iron security protection on all external doors and windows; burglary is far worse in Spain.

You need as much cross ventilation as possible and A/C in main rooms and bedrooms for cooling and heating in winter,

Plumbing is diabolical in some places, make sure you have non-return valves on your sewage outlets.

Flooding is common in winter, hence why that have so many dry river beds. ensure you make provision to protect your property, We were in a national flood disaster zone last year, it was a very sad site.

In winter there are cold spells when you need solar gain and a source of heat, do not under estimate this requirement it is very important; we spend two winter months every year in Spain. 

Use a decent internet supply and use this for TV, you will need a special TV box, dare I say with KODI, and perhaps a large satellite  dish. I doubt you need a Telephone landline now that roaming charges have been cancelled in the EU, we use WIFI and messenger/whatsapp for calls, we use video calling all the time when calling UK and it is all free, except normal internet charges.

Consider using passive cooling by having a large vent in the top part of your roof , insect mesh and then a top hat above vent.

Have insect mesh on windows and consider inward opening windows; mosquitoes are a real problem in some areas. In Florida they have a insect mesh around the whole of the pool and Lanai because the insect problem is so great.

Suggest you join "expats in Spain" website - ask your questions there and for getting tradesmen. That will lead you onto other forums more specific to the areas you are considering.

Consider using "DOYOUSPAIN.com" for car hire, very cheap in Winter , £5 per day inclusive, just booked it

Good luck.

• Like 1

Much appreciated on some very good info. Solar PV is a strange one in spain, we did think about no mains electric and fulling the roof of PV but with AC and pool requirements think we are pushing it a bit much. I cam across 2x expat forums, a british expat one and a general expat one.

My understanding of solar in Spain is that the state run Electricity system is losing something like 30 billion a year, and in the absence of political will to charge what it costs they are groping around for cash cows, one of which us to tax solar produced electricity.

http://www.mariscal-abogados.com/sun-tax-on-photovoltaic-systems-in-spain/

My further understanding is that having walked into this lamppost, they now find themselves having to backpedal.

It may already have gone. Or not.

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/03/10/parliament-spain-removes-punitive-sun-tax/

The only thing you can be sure of is that you cannot>:( be sure. 

F