Guttering Colour

Morning, as the title suggests I have to make a decision on the guttering, namely the colour as the roof slates are soon to go on and we need to fix the rafter brackets.

Looking at coated steel either Roofart  or Lindab ( I like the idea of the flexible brackets). Do I go with dark grey 7011 a similar colour to the slate and windows  (RAL 7016) or black as a contrast. The old cottage is random stone and the new extension is stone and timber clad. Any help appreciated as have struggled with this for some reason.Cheers Karen. Cottage Design 25-05-16.pdf

I'd go RAL 7011. It looks more considered and isn't as harsh as the black but is still dark enough. I went with RAL 7016 in PVC to match my windows which cost me 20% more than black as it isn't standard and was harder to get. Black is a standard colour and will look standard and the contrast you mention isn't a good contrast. A contrast of natural timber cladding turning grey or the natural stone against the crisp RAL 7011 windows is an example of a good contrast. 

Aesthetics are a personal thing...

We went with a silvery-grey or grey look for external "features" - guttering, downpipes, windows, soffits, eaves and partial zinc roofing. This is for a more contemporary white-rendered external with red brick slips bottom 300mm and some external timber cladding in one area, and red clay roof tiles.

I like the clean look this creates - subtle yet the features are there. For me, black would be visually jarring and perhaps more suitable for a less contemporary exterior.

YMMV.

• 8 months later...

Just ressurecting this thread @ragg987 and @richi where did you get your grey soffits, bargeboards and fascias from.  We are building a white render house with anthracite grey windows etc Really don't want wooden bargeboards etc due to the maintenance but planners do not want white UPVC...

In this pic, some of the white protective film is still on the window frames. The slates are Eternit Thrutone fibre cement. 

IMG_20180405_195050.thumb.jpg.225ee537b25b454b8583111e187adf1c.jpg

This is a garage conversion and extension. You can just see the rest of the house through the bifolds (the older part is phase II, which we're still planning).

• Like 2

I used Cembrit Cembonit for our boards. This is a through-coloured board that when cut presents the same colour and finish as the surface. It needs to be supplied cut to size as is a pig to cut on site, though you can do so using a specific diamond blade. You will need colour-coded screws, these are not cheap.

I also looked at Marley Eternit and Pictura. These are not through coloured and would require edge painting and sealing. Also more expensive than the Cembonit.

And finally I received samples of Hardie cladding boards - did not look very nice at all, had a bobbly texture.

If you wish to go through this route pm me and I will let you know my supplier. The big names you get with a google search were horrendously expensive.