Sometimes nightmares are real.

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Yes. It is . It really is. But then again what else is left for us to do. Sit down and give up? Stuff that.

So, what do you call the cocktail for this one then? Cocktail Collapso?

Having discovered no reference to a Three Little Pigs cocktail, it has to be a classic Harvey Wallbanger.

(And I am slightly regretting my Big Bad Wolf quip on the other thread. :/)

Serious points:

It sounds like a make haste after a pause situation, because is this not actually the good weather season? YOu do not perhaps want to be redoing this in October, for example.

Can you use the blocks in the garden somewhere? Eg a raised sitting area or artificial badger set or something?

Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Cripes Ian - just seen this, how awful for you both.

Yes. I'm #king annoyed.

But we need a strong and stable solution to this problem and we are working with our partners and others towards a speedy resolution. I would like to thank all the semi-emergency services who have already attended this morning; the scaffolders, and we are in active contact with our supply partners Durisol. I am sure that they are also working with their partners and others - the message I want to get through is that we are strong and stable despite this temporary problem. What is needed now is for the community to pull together, emphasise that together we are stable, together we are strong. We are not going to be distracted by a few blocks lying on the kitchen floor.

But I'm still pissed off.

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Can you use the blocks in the garden somewhere? Eg a raised sitting area or artificial badger set or something?

Blocks, probably not. But the minced blocks, yes. So it's off to hire a diesel mincer next week, and bag it all up. The chippings appear to me to make good temporary walk ways. They drain well, and keep the mud off yer feet.

Yes, I need to inject some Vim and Vigour into this one: windows for one thing due early September. Already rung Gaulhofer to give them a heads up. 

Ian

• Like 1

Bit of a bugger, but on the bright side it could have been a hell of a lot worse, plus there will be lots of people reading this that will have learned from it. 

I'd guess that one key point may be that the system you're using isn't that common, and so some of the quirks may not be known or understood.  Do you think that bracing might have helped?  The only ICF build I went to look at had a fair bit of internal support rigged up, in the form of sheets of shuttering ply and timber braces.  I believe these were put in place ready for the pour, but they may well also have been there to stiffen things up before the pour.

• Like 1

This is unfortunate  @recoveringacademic and I'm glad no one was injured. Everybody pulling together and helping out and postponing deliveries and holding deliveries in the factory (if required) shouldn't be an issue. As discussed, we'll happily assist in anyway shape or form, and we'll hold the delivery if required. Hopefully things can get back on track fairly quickly.

Edited by craig

The amount of walls that have just missed me when they have fallen over is scary. It's one of them things that happens on building sites.

My sunroom peak feel over when I was infront of it and I ended up upside down in the boundary trees. Had to dive of the scaffold to  avoid the peak hitting me. My mum and dad thought I was dead as all they could see when they rushed out was a mess and a set of feet sticking out of the trees.

Dust yourself down get the mess cleared up and keep going. Get the builder in and see what went wrong and how do you insure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks folks

@JSHarris, right as usual; needs shuttering, and yes, the sector needs more experience of Durisol. 

I am working hard in the next bit to be even-handed.

The system is Austrian. It's robust. They wouldn't give it house room if it were less than spot on.The common practice there is -  a few courses then pour.

Last night we had a 30 square meter  sail (wall) stuck out in the wind: gusts of 40mph. I'm sure that adds up to a fair old bit of shock (dynamic?) side load (as opposed to steady load). Full of concrete, nothing would have happened.

The west side, far more shuttered than the upwind side (east) is still standing.

By chance I had etched a few reference points in the wall and the floor. Using a laser plumb 'line' I checked that the remaining walls are still where they should be. They are either spot on or less than half a laserspot out (half a mil). 

Better get with shifting more blocks. I've exhausted all my English and German swear words.

Christ I'm damn annoyed. Damn annoyed.

Almost as annoyed as I was at Sgt Williams for failing me on my first 'P Company' in the 1970s (I deserved to fail)

20170719_120643.thumb.jpg.8e222b0c1504d3185fbdb8e58ca2e3ef.jpg

2 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Right. Thanks. Crosser still, but wiser. I haven't paid for it yet....... But that's what I'm being billed. I feel a few phone calls coming on.

Thanks again,

Ian

£480 here for two crew and pump when doing the floor, £680 for additional two crew when we were doing the ICF pour (we did it using a 50m line rather than with a boom). 

Yes £450 + VAT for a concrete pump per day here in Kent, so worth a call, if they expect further work on the build you might hope they are accommodating. Just out of interest how much concrete did they pump on the first pour into the form blocks, the volume looks quite small once you take out the interstitial insulation?

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

.The common practice there is -  a few courses then pour.  The argument here is, 'Well do you want to pay £1000 per time for the pump? And of course that's almost OK, if and its a huge if, you don't pile up blocks (but don't pour)  and then disappear for a couple of weeks.

Hmm, I'd like to see the integrity of the walls and how the joins form doing it this way - just because it's all hidden doesn't mean it's not important. Whilst I'm no expert, I cannot see how pouring concrete in small batches can be suitable for large walls (getaway-with-able if it has rebar down it tho).

After a few courses high it should all be braced - which can be done very quickly with some 4x2. 

It depends on what the concrete is being required to do and whether there is rebar.  It's pretty common practice to pour in batches during reinforced concrete construction, leaving rebar sticking out of the previous pour in order to ensure there is a good bond between the sections.  If the concrete is required to be an airtight/watertight layer, then it's generally not a good idea to pour in batches (some may recall the poured concrete basement in Grand Designs that had really bad leaks along a junction between two pours).

If possible, then I think just treating it like ICF, and adding bracing before the pour, might well be the best solution, especially as it will be a lot easier to fill all those voids up using a concrete pump that it will with a labourer and buckets.................

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

The common practice there is -  a few courses then pour.  The argument here is, 'Well do you want to pay £1000 per time for the pump?

I have spotted one firm offering a mini mix lorry and a towable pump.

Which seems to be a good idea to reduce costs. PUmp was £350 extra including operator.

https://www.coppard.co.uk/pages/concrete-services/concreting-services.php

But this is not an area where I have experience.

Right folks, here's what's happening.

Done a good deal of clearing up today. Why oh why oh why do scaffolders put clips at exactly the wrong height for my head? Still, if I can't take joke, shouldn't have started should I?

Been on to Durisol. The rep's coming on Tuesday of next week, and we're putting an order together then, to be delivered by the end of next week I suppose.

I paid the contractor on a day rate. And so far I've paid about half his bill. 

I will be interested to see what he has to say for himself when he gets here.

Ideas on how I should approach this one will be gratefully considered.

Ian

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Triassic said:

[...]

Hopefully you'll be back on track soon. 

Thanks for the good wishes.

Durisol seem to be pushing the boat out a bit. Hopefully we'll get an order in and delivered by the end of next  week.

It's a Faff when the BM  is a 400 mile round trip.

Sorting this with the contractor depends very much on whether he was expected to have knowledge and experience of using Durisol, I suspect, plus whether or not there is anything in the MIs for Durisol that say that it should be concreted in batches, or braced to remain stable before the pour.

I'm guessing here, but if the contractor was unfamiliar with the product and was relying on information from you, Durisol or your architect, then it may well be that the contractor isn't wholly at fault.  It will come down to what could be reasonably expected in the circumstances.

• Like 1