Cleaning out deep narrow holes

CC45

Evening all,

Got a bit of a challenge to get your brain cells working.

Boring holes for some rsj that will hold back some soil & fence. 1m ones can be cleaned out with a rabbiting spade and / or a post hole digger.  The borer gets most out but there's always a bit left in that needs cleaning out.  The holes are only 12" in diameter so room is limited for working the above tools. Tomorrow we need to go down 1.5m - we arent too sure how we will clean them out - lot of talk of 'hoovers' from the states but very little over here.

Suggestions gratefully received.

CC 

Soil isnt wet but is slightly moist at depth. Not 100% sure a hoover will pick it up?! Cant use longer handles - cant get them far enough apart down the hole.

Do you chaps really think a hoover would do it?  The other half suggested an equine poo picker would do the job.

I think the problem here is the "need it now".

I spent an hour two hours last night looking into post hole borers when I counted up how many fences I am likely to build, and may turn into one myself. Just saving two men half a day would justify spending £100 or more, and I have 10-20 substantial concrete posts to do in the next 3 weeks.

To answer your question, I think you want one of those pairs of grabbers but with a mechanism which prevents you having to open the handles wide.

One tip: if it doesn't have them mark 6 inch increments on the handle so you can see the depth with no tape measure.

This chap has the type I am talking about, which would need extension handles, and also demonstrates using a wet and dry hoover:

I have no idea where to get such at a couple of hours notice.

Personally I am thinking about ordering a Boston Post Hole digger (one blade is fixed).

F

Edited by Ferdinand

We just tend to dig deeper than necessary and then it's a brick into the bottom to provide a firm base and in goes the post. I hire the petrol post augers as they do the job much quicker than a person can. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

We just tend to dig deeper than necessary and then it's a brick into the bottom to provide a firm base and in goes the post. I hire the petrol post augers as they do the job much quicker than a person can. 

@PeterW

Darn. So you haven't got one I can finagle :ph34r:.

At a risk of thread diversion, looking into those they seem to be either rather wimpy (ie good soil only, may struggle with packed clay - that has a 52cc motor, £117 inc 3 borer sizes) or of the type that could bodily throw both Popeye and Bluto into a gorse bush 20 feet away when it hit a stone (2 man 190cc Briggs and Stratton motor sold on Ebay last night for £117 but £45 carriage. £550-ish new.). I think Stihl 2 man versions had a reputation for kickback. I don't know enough to take a flyer.

If you can guarantee decent ground conditions a buy/sell on the wimpy version would be justified by one day of use. I can't guarantee such conditions.

I  could not find anything convincingly in between eg something torquey with better dampening.

Hire charges per day for Day 1 seem to be 25-35% of new price, which is high enough that it makes me want to buy one instead.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I would want one that is for 2 man use - they should have a torque clutch on them to stop the inevitable wrist break but they are better when they have the wide handles.  

Its roots and bricks that stop them normally - clay isn't an issue. 

+1

I hired one of those to put a load of posts in single handed. Just as I was finishing the last few a passing farmer tells me they usually just push them in with a back hoe.

8 minutes ago, Temp said:

+1

I hired one of those to put a load of posts in single handed. Just as I was finishing the last few a passing farmer tells me they usually just push them in with a back hoe.

Yes, file that in the "101 uses for a digger" file.  I pushed several fence posts straight in with the back of the bucket. You need posts cut to a point at the bottom (at least you do in our soil)

To make it a 1 man job, get them started with a sledge hammer so they will at least stand up in the right position before going for the digger.

• 2 weeks later...

I used a 2 man Stihl petrol auger like on this page http://www.sydenhams.co.uk/gardening.aspx which took about 20 seconds per 1 metre hole into chalk (which was already excavated to 1m below where the chalk started).  Only 1 hole caused issues but we just put a smaller diameter auger on to create a starter then went back to the correct size.

If you're right against a boundary the splayed handles will push you maybe a foot away.  The hire price versus man hours...no brainer.

For amusement, when i needed a slightly bigger deeper hole I got this;

kingpostx3.jpg

On 17/07/2017 at 12:59, ProDave said:

Yes, file that in the "101 uses for a digger" file.  I pushed several fence posts straight in with the back of the bucket. You need posts cut to a point at the bottom (at least you do in our soil)

To make it a 1 man job, get them started with a sledge hammer so they will at least stand up in the right position before going for the digger.

Tends not to work that well with concrete posts?