They try again how can we stop them

Next time, WAIT until he has actually picked something up and is leaving the site with it before you confront him, then it IS theft and the police had bloody well better take notice.

I assume you are living in the hut?  Is there a way you can leave the hut and make your way round to where the car is parked ready to confront him at the car with his bounty? Preferably with a camera?

I am happy that his attempt was a crime and that it should be recorded as such. To wait would have risked a couple of hundred pounds worth of laser at the best being damaged. 

There is a bit of legislation that allows me to challenge the local police over their actions

Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004 introduced the victims charter which gives a victim extra protection and rights if they are "a persistently targeted victim" 

The CCTV from yesterday was from my old cameras so yesterday i fitted one of the new 4mp ptz cameras that gives a much better picture.

• Like 1

I put a fair bit of effort into dissuading people walking on to our site, even though I don't really think we had a serious risk of theft from the site.  My concerns were that I knew local kids were getting in, and I didn't want them getting hurt, and then there was the infamous council tax snooper, who just ignored the signs and fence and climbed in to look through the windows.

As far as the law goes, I did find that you can rescind the common law implied right of access, the law that allows people to walk up your drive/path to deliver stuff, try and sell you stuff etc, by means of a clear notice at the entrance.  You can make that notice specific if you still want to allow the postman in, for example.  From that point on, anyone that walks on your land without your authority cannot claim that they are allowed to under common law, which removes one line of defence for any intruder who is challenged.

I think that if I were in your position, then time spent rigging up some effective, but legal, means of dissuading intruders would be time well spent, as much for peace of mind as anything else.  Temp's video of booby trapped bait would be something that might be worth trying.  I doubt that a device that, for example, sprayed paint or dye on someone would be deemed illegal, as it's an old technique that has been used to protect cash for years.  The same goes for alarm mines fitted with saluting blanks, they are legal and both the alarms and the saluting blanks can be purchased without a licence, AFAIK.  Given that you have a prominent site entrance, you could also look at something like a chain that is normally resting on the ground, anchored at one end, with some form of rapid tensioning system that pulls it up to waist level when triggered (a simple weighted beam and bit of rope, with a pull cord to release a stop would probable do the job).  That way you might get a chance to apprehend anyone running off, by triggering the chain to rise just as they are running out.  You can also buy caltrops, spiky devices intended to puncture car tyres, and you may be able to rig something that hurls a load of them under the area where the car is parked, when triggered by an alarm.

Edited by JSHarris
typo

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Next time, WAIT until he has actually picked something up and is leaving the site with it before you confront him, then it IS theft and the police had bloody well better take notice.

I assume you are living in the hut?  Is there a way you can leave the hut and make your way round to where the car is parked ready to confront him at the car with his bounty? Preferably with a camera?

If something eg padlock is broken on the way in that is criminal damage.

40 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

If something eg padlock is broken on the way in that us criminal damage.

The police will do sweet FA over a broken padlock. I think you can even "get away" with shoplifting now if caught, if it's under a certain amount.

Police stations near me now 9 to 5, closed on Bank Holidays whereas it was 24/7/365 only a few years ago. Spoke to a copper, 51, the other day, he said "I've 4 years to go, can't f***ing wait!"

There's not enough police and they're hampered by liberal do gooders.  Protect your own property and there's a good chance you'll be nicked because it's EASY for the authorities to do so.

Only solution in my book is sort it yourself, live with it and keep quiet. Just disappear the scum.

Return to the concept of an Englishman's castle and all that.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Police stations near me now 9 to 5, closed on Bank Holidays whereas it was 24/7/365 only a few years ago.

Same story here.  They closed the Salisbury police station, with it's custody suite, in order to sell the site for development into a college.  They moved the police into the council office, where they share space with ordinary council workers.  Apparently it's a bit of a nightmare trying to maintain privacy there. 

The major problem is that this "cost cutting" exercise has had a major impact on the way local officers can function.  As one described it to me, if they arrest someone, two officers have to drive for 40 minutes to the nearest custody suite, spend several hours there dealing with the booking in, questioning etc, then they have a 40 minute drive back to get to where they are supposed to be on patrol.  9 times out of 10 they get back around the end of their shift or after it's finished.  The net result is that they are very reluctant to make any arrests now, as they know that if they do they will be either incurring unpaid overtime, or they will just not be available to deal with any other stuff, as they are taken out of action for so long, largely as a result of the long journey to Devizes and back.

I was talking to two I guess fast response (not armed) coppers just outside Sevenoaks. I asked how far they covered. "We go as far as Thanet" said one.

I said so if there's a serious shout in say Margate they might have to go there. "Yes" came the response. (40 minutes?)

Jokingly  I said "Not just the two of you?".

"No, there's 8 of us!"

At that point two of their mates pulled up! :)

Edited by Onoff

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

If something eg padlock is broken on the way in that is criminal damage.

On the one occasion we had an attempted break in (when we lived in Oxfordshire) they got as far as ripping the glazing beads off the back door but never got the glass out. Instead of logging it as an attempted break in (which I am sure is what it was) it was logged as "criminal damage"

22 hours ago, dogman said:

Half three this afternoon they tried again. I was able to chase him off as he triggered the garden alarm

596a51d095fb0_homecctv_Camera5_homecctv_20170715152705_10418668.jpg.a67b633c607cda543e94eab7d8693ebf.jpg

596a51ecb66fd_homecctv_Camera5_homecctv_20170715152711_10424732.jpg.21d7b70439bd12010a9554fea9fa9cd3.jpg

Anyone make out what the car is?

Volvo V50 estate?

Edited by Triassic