Keeping Work surfaces tidy: or how to hide a toaster

We're trying to hide our toaster. Why?

Not much work surface. And clutter annoys me (us).

Has anyone found a way to hide a toaster? I think we can sort out our microwave, oven, dishwasher, coffee maker, easily enough, but has anyone found a way to 'disappear' a toaster in a way which allows everyone to use it easily?

Of course we can just stick it in a cupboard: but how do you deal efficiently with the inevitable smoke, crumbs and usability issues?

• Like 1

MiL had a 'tambor' unit with a roller door installed in her new kitchen.

Another idea I've seen is a 'breakfast cabinet' which is like a dresser, and opens up to reveal toaster, bowls, boxes of cereal, coffee machine, etc.

Or you could just use the grill...

Depends how often you use a toaster. Prior to toast hungry kids, we put ours away in a cupboard. Kept the toaster on a tray to catch all the crumbs / mess and to make it easy to take back out the cupboard again.

I think the way to manage crumbs may be to continue the worktop into the roller-shutter cupboard, either my using an insert if it faces forward (offcut), or orientating the cupboard sideways at the end of the worktop.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Or you could have a stove top toaster.

Tennis racket toast if it as Aga or Ceramic. Is there an induction version of a tennis racket toaster?

Or if aallly dedicated to a smooth worktop you could have Dalek Toast if it is a gas hob. Like camping.

dalek-toast.jpg.525a5fc5ec3b122cf269ace9ce45ff58.jpg

Found while briefly researching toast:

Jamie Oliver

In the past, I have turned the toaster on its side, put cheese on bread and slid it in so it toasts on one side and melts on the other. It’s a bit of a jiggle but it works [see footnote]

Guardian Footnote:

Footnote: We strongly don’t recommend turning your toaster on its side to make cheese on toast or anything else, as it is a fire hazard. See this warning from the London Fire Brigade.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/09/how-to-make-toast-the-jamie-oliver-way

Edited by Ferdinand