under sink instant hot water

Hi all

Looking for a simple under sink instant hot water, direct mains fed

It's for the garage and will serve 2x sinks (not at the same time) Occasional use only

Any recommendations? looking at the cheaper end of the market;)

Thanks

David.

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

Can you clarify if they need a pressure relief valve to be fitted ?

Page 4

Any stored water heater will need expansion and a PRV. If there is a very short run of hot water pipework before the only outlet then you'll also need to fit an expansion vessel, so the PRV doesn't nuisance pass. The manufacturers instructions ( MI's ) will give these particulars to the letter, and they differ with size and make. G3 is required for stored water heaters even under 15L capacity........

image.thumb.png.284eefb59236023c32ab7c9558123c25.png

I thought under 15L got you off the hook for a DIY install but it doesn't seem so. 

So basically you'll need a pipe to atmosphere which falls continuously in accordance with D1 and D2 discharge pile work particulars. Again, these will be in the MI's. 

Maybe fit a bigger supply cable and fit an instant?

That's interesting, as our boiling water tap has an under-plinth boiler, with a PRV that connects to the sink waste, no expansion vessel and it's supplied as a kit for DIY install, including being pre-wired with a 13A plug.  The MIs make no mention of it needing to be fitted by a G3 competent person, in fact they are written for a DIY type install.  The PRV lets by regularly, every time the unit heats up, and the integrated trap that's part of the PRV waste connection relies on the PRV regularly letting by to keep it topped up.  The PRV in question is also the pressure, and hence flow rate, regulator for the tap, and has a knob on top for pressure/flow adjustment.  This unit can be supplied with a TMV, so that it can also feed a hot tap at a safe temperature, as well as the boiling water outlet.

Edited by JSHarris

The Hyco one I linked to is all self contained and has no provision to connect any external relief valve or discharge pipework.  I know of one working well feeding a sink immediately above it, and a basin probably 6 metres of pipework away with no issues and nothing fitted external to the unit, just cold water in and hot out to the two taps.

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The Hyco one I linked to is all self contained and has no provision to connect any external relief valve or discharge pipework.  I know of one working well feeding a sink immediately above it, and a basin probably 6 metres of pipework away with no issues and nothing fitted external to the unit, just cold water in and hot out to the two taps.

Looking at the eBay item you linked, @ProDave, it says "PRV included - must be fitted in every case" in the description. Perhaps it has changed?

F

4 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I think that refers to  a PRedV, not a PRV, to ensure that the water pressure cannot exceed the 6 bar limit of the unit.

Yes it is fed from a pressure reducing valve, but no (over) pressure relief valve.

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I think that refers to  a PRedV, not a PRV, to ensure that the water pressure cannot exceed the 6 bar limit of the unit.

Aha.  :/

Clearly I have some plumbing homework to do!

The only pressure relief valve I can recall was the one that nearly blew up Three Mile Island because they left it shut.

Edited by Ferdinand

One problem is that the abbreviation PRV can refer to either a Pressure Relief Valve (one that opens to vent an excessive pressure to a drain) or a Pressure Reducing Valve (one that limits the incoming water pressure to a certain safe value).

Here we seem to have adopted the terminology PRV to means a Pressure Relief Valve and PRedV to mean a Pressure Reducing Valve, but that's not very widespread elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

One problem is that the abbreviation PRV can refer to either a Pressure Relief Valve (one that opens to vent an excessive pressure to a drain) or a Pressure Reducing Valve (one that limits the incoming water pressure to a certain safe value).

Here we seem to have adopted the terminology PRV to means a Pressure Relief Valve and PRedV to mean a Pressure Reducing Valve, but that's not very widespread elsewhere.

We're pioneers, that's why ;) 

?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...