Cutting glass tiles

Stones

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Is there anybody out there who still puts sockets in tiles?

I will be, but above the Corian splash back where we are tiling up to the bottom of cupboards or around the window at the same height. 

1.thumb.jpg.feeb4f040f2825bb0594ef062229bd9a.jpg

There are some set in to the splash back on the island at the transition but I will be having a very nonstandard kitchen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Cutting glass mosaics isn't an envious task. I can mark them in straight lines with my big ( 1200mm ) rubi cutter and use my big nibblers to break them but it's just horrible TBH. If your wet cutting with a good new blade in an electric wet cutter then the little glass shards and 'flyers', which go everywhere when dry cutting, tend to stay on the cutter where you can keep washing / hosing down ( I rarely cut inside with glass ). You can't rub the dust / shards off with your hand so you need a bucket of water to clean down, where the glass bits can collect at the bottom. 

Coloured glass mosaics start life as clear regular bits of glass which then have a coloured film / backer applied to create the illusion of the colour going right through. Not damaging that backer is very important so take care if your cutter isn't new / could damage it. ;)

Cutting slowly with plenty of water is my preferred method, and it's much more forgiving as you can shave a blades width off to give a cleaner edge if you so choose/have to.

Appreciate the input, very useful for anyone else considering glass. Working round the 2 double sockets on that wall was going to be the biggest issue. Having thought about it, my first port of call to get the tiles cut was going to be a visit to the local glass shop, especially given the issues you highlight in respect of the tiles having backers.

However, it's all change for me, as SWMBO has changed her mind and opted for a smallish metro tile (150x75) in quite a vivid colour having found a picture in a magazine she was looking through. 

Appreciate all the responses.

3 minutes ago, Stones said:

However, it's all change for me, as SWMBO has changed her mind and opted for a smallish metro tile (150x75) in quite a vivid colour having found a picture in a magazine she was looking through. 

Just a work of caution about pictures of tiles and even catalogues, having gone through the same process (for the bathrooms) we worked out what we wanted then went into Tops Tiles just to look at them and were warned by a very helpful chap (older) that the companies deliberately alter the colours in the catalogues to make them more appealing.  You need to see tiles in the flesh to be sure that the colours are what you expect, especially with mosaics!

• Like 1

I know what you mean.  We'd previously seen the tile, but in the absence of a board/display, my good lady was struggling to visualise how it would look in our kitchen. The picture provided sufficient visualisation for her to commit (tile colour matches the soft furnishing 'layering' she is currently undertaking). 

@Calvinmiddle I take it you managed to house the socket in the combined depth of the decor panel & cabinet sides?

Looks really good, a very neat solution.

The splashback I have to do is similar in scope but I do have two sockets in the wall to deal with. Also plan to remove the current upstand.

IMG_20170626_183540.jpg

Cheap seats here as ever but I took a 3m length of cheapo worktop and thinned it down to 1/2". That's my upstand. (Do have a bit of st/st to go above). I routed 3 dead square holes in it that line up exactly with the back boxes.

In case anyones wondering, I did have >300mm from the induction hob to the cooker switch until SWMBO decided she wanted the hob dead centre of the double unit instead of dead centre of the right hand door! :(

I've to fit an extractor hood sometime and the st/st sheet between that and the upstand. The switch for that will go to the right of the hob. It'll mean a bit of in-situ routering of the upstand and feeding from the other side of the wall. That'll all be done in 20mm galv conduit like the rest.

SAM_4611.thumb.jpg.40378c2b5eb073d6adcc1a1e3bda4d2c.jpg

Don't disagree with that, but I suspect I'll face an uphill struggle with SWMBO to persuade her to keep it. Once finished it will become a 'feature' and its that which will dictate things.

She wasn't that keen on the idea of shower panels but has been won over on practicality, so it may not be a big issue. I would have preferred a single surface and wanted to use the same stuff as the worktop, but seemingly it didn't provide the required 'contrast'.  

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I'm with your missus on the last point. Having the worktop finish up the wall is not my cup of tea. :ph34r:

Mine quite likes it up against the wall in our kitchen.