Cemp biodiversity

Construction environmental management plan, that's a mouthful. 

My ecology guy said I will need one of these. Anybody done one or got any useful pointers I can use. 

Just reading our ecology report and and it seems that although nothing was found of any interest on our actual building plot(good planning) the rest of the site is very interesting and I need to put measures in place to mitigate any risk to all the silly little wriggling things that may want to visit the construction site. 

You couldn't make it up ?

Edited by Russell griffiths
Poor spelling.

Hi @Russell griffiths, have a careful read of the ecology report AND the LPA response. That should provide an evidence-based rationale for a proper plan. Beasties may wriggle, croak, fly or fart, but the consequences of disregarding them are - potentially - serious. 

That said, there is a general easing of the regulations. It  is certainly the case for GCNs. 

I have never encountered an academic discipline quite as open to local interpretation as ecology. But it still needs to be taken seriously in terms of the paper work. 

On the ground.... 

• Like 1

What gave you got?

Certain things eg slow worms you can handle yourself, which is in the detail of the law or regulations.

Detail is everything and needs to be sweated.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I have done a CEMP.  It had to cover land contamination, transport plan to an from site, control of dust and pollutants and lots of other stuff.  Some common sense.  Some things you otherwise may not think about but make sense and some things that are a bit of a waste of time.  Overall an OK exercise but I think it would be better as a form filler, rather than an expensive start from scratch that will just get farmed out to others to produce and not read by those on site.

We had to have one of those,  it was one of our conditions.

I found out later that a cemp is normally imposed on larger developments not single houses.

Speak to the environment office at the council early on and try not to agree with anything you don't feel is necessary.

• Like 1

Ok some good points here so I will try and fill in a bit more info. 

Our site is a third of an acre sitting amongst another eleven acres, all owned by us. 

We have kept the building plot very neat and tidy very short grass no scrub, the ecologist found nothing of any interest, but the rest of the site COULD provide habitat. 

we have a planning consultant dealing with our planning and she has told us that the local council have been applying lots of conditions with anything that gets approved. 

Her opinion is that we do a CEMP and submit it with our ecology report so we are already showing how we will deal with any ecology on site. 

Do you think the erection of a newt fence around the whole building plot could provide a lot of proof that we are doing our bit to mitigate any risk to the little wriggling things. 

Cheers russ. 

13 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Construction environmental management plan, that's a mouthful. 

My ecology guy said I will need one of these. 

Well he would, wouldn't he.  The bottom line is that the site could provide habitat, that's says to me the sites currently clear of problems!  I'd submit the ecological report and see what the planner says. Only if they say a CEMP is required, would I produce one and I'd do it myself.

One final thought, the garden portion of my self Build site is part of a Site of Special Scientific interest. The only thing I was asked by the planner to provide was a bat report. This whole report thing is a bit of a post code lottery. 

Edited by Triassic