Range cooker or hob/ovens

14 minutes ago, Shah said:

Bora is next level I guess (very pretty :) ). Why get an oven plus a combi as well? Why not just a combi? So Neff is good for built in ovens/combis? Any other brands?

One word ... size ..!!

Combi will rarely be over 40 litres which is quite small for an oven. You need a much larger cavity for a fan oven for a turkey or similar. 

And we have 3 on order ..!! Two matching ovens either side of a built in microwave....! And if I can find a reasonably priced one, there will be a warming drawer under the micro too ...

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Combi will rarely be over 40 litres which is quite small for an oven. You need a much larger cavity for a fan oven for a turkey or similar. 

Ah yes didn't think of that.

38 minutes ago, PeterW said:

And we have 3 on order ..!!

3 ovens...... :D 

22 minutes ago, Shah said:

Ah yes didn't think of that.

3 ovens...... :D 

In my new kitchen I have a full size fan oven a combi and a warming drawer. I had exactly this set up before and it works perfectly for me. The range cooker in this rental has 2 electric ovens a warming drawer and a pan drawer and 7 gas burners! The ovens are rubbish they wont take my large baking trays. Its not a small range it measures 1000 across but I think must be a really cheap range...Stoves, never heard of them. If you are getting a range check the oven cavity sizes. 

I have had Miele ovens in the past but I prefer Neff because of the slide and hide. Neff are very reliable but also have a great after sales service if you need an engineer.  I dont like Siemens which is what all the kitchen places try and sell you because of the incentives they get.....I know some are owned by the same huge parent company but they are not just the same products with different badges they are different products.

This is a very personal choice of something you live with and use every day...my appliances and my shower are the two areas I wont compromise on...OH happily leaves it to me.......actually my Nespresso coffee machine is another no compromise LOL

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, lizzie said:

In my new kitchen I have a full size fan oven a combi and a warming drawer. I had exactly this set up before and it works perfectly for me. The range cooker in this rental has 2 electric ovens a warming drawer and a pan drawer and 7 gas burners! The ovens are rubbish they wont take my large baking trays. Its not a small range it measures 1000 across but I think must be a really cheap range...Stoves, never heard of them. If you are getting a range check the oven cavity sizes. 

I have had Miele ovens in the past but I prefer Neff because of the slide and hide. Neff are very reliable but also have a great after sales service if you need an engineer.  I dont like Siemens which is what all the kitchen places try and sell you because of the incentives they get.....I know some are owned by the same huge parent company but they are not just the same products with different badges they are different products.

This is a very personal choice of something you live with and use every day...my appliances and my shower are the two areas I wont compromise on...OH happily leaves it to me.......actually my Nespresso coffee machine is another no compromise LOL

There are Neff slide and hide ones around for around £360 but they are quite small. It sounds as if you need to cook a kangaroo fillet while it is still on the kangaroo, so such may not meet the spec !

How big is a full size fan oven?

The ovens in our Rangemaster Kitchener 90 are 69 and 66 litres.

Edited by Ferdinand

Just now, daiking said:

We have 2 x 71 litres cut and shuts. It was the largest single oven I could find at the time for the wife.

Still had to chop off her arms and legs before I could cremate her though.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

What are the advantages of the slide and hide doors?? Normally I keep the door closed as much as possible, I don't like heating my kitchen by the oven! 

You can get closer to lift heavy things like kangaroos, and it doesn't stick out in more compact kitchens to impede circulation of people.

And people seem to think they are posh.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Alexphd1 said:

What are the advantages of the slide and hide doors?? Normally I keep the door closed as much as possible, I don't like heating my kitchen by the oven! 

I don't suppose there is a lot of difference if you have a traditional low level oven (as we do and Bake off) but I really wouldn't want a normal large oven door burning my belly button (or worse) if you have a higher level oven. I can really see the advantage of it there where you are leaning over it with your torso instead of breaking your back bending down.

Still not convinced but don't knock it until you try it so they say!  On the other hand if I could get a smaller version of a commercial oven I worked with  I would go for that, the power of the fan was awesome but easy to adjust for varies cooking methods. 

54 minutes ago, daiking said:

I don't suppose there is a lot of difference if you have a traditional low level oven (as we do and Bake off) but I really wouldn't want a normal large oven door burning my belly button (or worse) if you have a higher level oven. I can really see the advantage of it there where you are leaning over it with your torso instead of breaking your back bending down.

I have a bad back and bending down to the oven is a pain in more ways than one.  I also like the easy viewing of whta us cooking. Neff have patented the s&h technology so no one else can copy it.  I think mine was about £700 and is a large capacity.  There are cheaper Neff ovens but basic models but not circotherm s&h.They dont do s&h on combi because it is a totally different door because of the microwave but its smaller so not like reaching around a full size.

I had never heard of bake off when I got my first one! I am now on third so you can tell I am impressed but its a personal choice not all of us like the same thing.  I dont have pyrolitic either because I have breathing issues and cannot tolerate the fumes. I find a good oven cleaning service a few times a year works perfectly for me.

We've put in a Slide n Hide Neff - it'll be useful for when you've finished cooking but want to leave it in the oven until ready to dish up without continuing to cook with ther residual heat- slide the door out the road and carry on. 

But apart from that, it's so cool. I love it :) Can't wait to try the plug in meat probe we got with it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

I would also go for the deep warming drawers over the shallow ones, lot more useful! 

Screenshot_20170711-211815.png

Interestingly different to me. The killer application for mine is for plates.

It looks as though the Neff B44S32N5GB (think that is the one I bought) Hide 'n' Slides which have been highly reduced for a couple of months have now gone back up in price.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/cooking/ovens/neff-b44s32n5gb-slide-hide-electric-oven-stainless-steel-10143345-pdt.html

When I have had waist level ovens I have used the drop down door for serving. 

Ferdinand

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PeterW said:

Hopefully not at that price.... they can be had new for £480 or so

Had a look around internet and the best price i can find was £650-675

Where did you see them for £480?

11 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

I would also go for the deep warming drawers over the shallow ones, lot more useful! 

Screenshot_20170711-211815.png

Definitely this.

We were originally looking at a standard plate-warming drawer, but then my mother in law (who'd recently had her kitchen done) mentioned that she couldn't get any of her casserole dishes into hers. If you have hopes of heating anything other than plates or a shallow platter in your warming drawer, get a deep one!

15 hours ago, lizzie said:

If you are getting a range check the oven cavity sizes

Yes good point.

16 hours ago, lizzie said:

Agree although don't drink coffee :)

15 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

It sounds as if you need to cook a kangaroo fillet while it is still on the kangaroo, so such may not meet the spec !

How big is a full size fan oven?

The ovens in our Rangemaster Kitchener 90 are 69 and 66 litres.

Haha. We won't be cooking that big portions so a rangemaster oven should suffice.

14 hours ago, PeterW said:

Hopefully not at that price.... they can be had new for £480 or so

Yes agree. Will keep an eye on it. Nef has a £100 off for trade in till yesterday!

12 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

Agree on this. Life would be easier.

• Like 1

that previous picture of a deep warning drawer is a extra wide appliance at 30 inches but deep warming drawers at a standard width is so much more useful than the shallow ones. 

I think this picture is a step to far though.....

Screenshot_20170712-182346.png

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Like 4