Guttering inside?

Hey all,

I'm going to have rainwater harvesting . Have a pitched roof. One side can go straight into the below ground tank.

The other side of the roof will have guttering ; but rather than an unsightly pipe running from the gutter across the house to the tank on the other side; can I take this pipe work inside through the roof area and connect up on the other side into the down pipe?. Is that 'allowed'???

Cheers

How will you get it through the roof?

The guttering is at the lowest point of the pitch and below wall plate level.

Can't you just drop it into a drain and direct that into the tank??

9 minutes ago, RichS said:

How will you get it through the roof?

The guttering is at the lowest point of the pitch and below wall plate level.

Can't you just drop it into a drain and direct that into the tank??

My plan was to take it down the outside wall then in and through .

cant have any drain down that side as a wall 

Standard drain pipe does not have sealed joints. How many times have you seen the outlet blocked and water leaking from a joint further up?  I would not want standard drain pipe inside my house under any circumstances.  Perhaps convert to standard 110mm drain pipe for the inside run, at least the joints will be sealed.

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Hey all,

I'm going to have rainwater harvesting . Have a pitched roof. One side can go straight into the below ground tank.

The other side of the roof will have guttering ; but rather than an unsightly pipe running from the gutter across the house to the tank on the other side; can I take this pipe work inside through the roof area and connect up on the other side into the down pipe?. Is that 'allowed'???

Cheers

There's nothing in the Building Regs which would stop you from doing this but it carries risks of water leaks, surface condensation and noise intrusion.

I've done it on commercial buildings quite a lot but using metal pipes with mechanically fixed (crimped) and sealed joints. If you get any blockage you'll need to be able to rod the pipe without the risk of dislodging a joint.

Another alternative would be syphonic drainage. I'm not a big fan of it personally but this method is commonly used on commercial buildings as it is very cost effective:

https://www.cibse.org/getmedia/699c149b-f37e-4634-9607-58248550b3c8/SYPHONIC-RAINWATER-SYSTEMS.pdf.aspx

Thanks guys.

Yes sorry; should of explained. Didn't intend running standard drainage inside. Would have hope fully 1 continuous pipe (no joins) and the connections outside the building.

Should be ok to get a service eyelet in both ends in case of a blockage.

I'll lag the internal pipework and clip it to the wooden roof structure to avoid condensation and noise.

Simply can't have a horrible 7m pipe running across my property!  B|