Need quick to learn CAD software recommendation

I need to do a bit of CAD this weekend, and I am not currently up to speed with any package.

It relates to a change of use application for an industrial unit, and my Planning Consultant has advised that a sketch plan on graph paper on this application does not look polished enough and may be an 'in practice' reason why the Council may refuse to validate the application and request more information.

What I need to do will be:

1 - Pull in OS mapping purchased online as a layer/background. Currently I have this background as a PDF.

2 - Draw extra bits (eg car park layout).

3 - Have the appearance of a 'professional drawing' when printed out - Frame, Scale, Notes etc. I do not need exact precision on the drawing, just not to trip a Validation elephant trap.

4 - I might want a couple of library elements - eg row of oblique parking spaces - though such can be drawn.

Can anyone recommend? Time to do the job will be short, since I have about 8-10 queries to resolve.

Cheers

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Just download a few freeware 2D Cad programs and see how you get on with them.

Trouble with CAD is users tend to like what they first used and changing to another program is troublesome.

LibreCad is an open source package that is similar to old AutoCad programs, it is also portable so you don't actually install install it.

https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/librecad-portable

It is also worth trying out Sketchup and the new Microsoft clone.

13 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Use Sketchup. The twist is needing to use Layout for (paper and dynamic)  presentation. PM me for a resolution to that problem

Hi, I'm interested in a resolution for this problem too...mind if I PM you?

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Try my idiots quick taster guide PDF to DraftSight:

I used DS extensively during the planning stages of our build - was an absolute life saver when interpreting the TF plans, basement drawings, planning internal layout etc..

I wasn't able to refresh the licence after the initial 6 months though so had to install it again on a different machine. Aside from that it's ace.

I'm thinking if you're going to spend say 8-10 hours on this over the weekend would it not be worth downloading AutoCAD and using the free 30 day trial? As said above people tend to go back to the first drawing programme they learn and find it difficult to change so why not start with one which would be good to continue with. I spent the last 20 years on AutoCAD (can't believe it's that long until I counted it in my head) and have found the transition to 3D BIM software over the last two years slow.

Alternatively if you take the sketch you want and the pdf background you'll find sites you can upload it to and have people draft it up for you. It could be £50 well spent and save you the whole weekend.

53 minutes ago, Dudda said:

Alternatively if you take the sketch you want and the pdf background you'll find sites you can upload it to and have people draft it up for you. It could be £50 well spent and save you the whole weekend.

I think these are wise words indeed. Unless you think you'll get future benefit or enjoyment then head over to https://www.peopleperhour.com/

I've used contractors from that site a number of times. The last only a few weeks ago where a mate of mine wanted a logo, business card, letterhead etc for his small business. This guy did the lot for £50 within 48 hours and it was an excellent piece of work: https://www.peopleperhour.com/freelancer/muhammad/ashfaq/logo-and-identity-designer-wordpre/1217544?referrer=hourlie

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Off to try Draftsight this morning, and @Onoff's idiot guide.Expect some questions on the thread over there!

@Barney12 good suggestion. I think I will try myself this time as I will be needing to do more in future from time to time.

F

I think from memory the last two pictures in my little guide are out of sync. I meant to correct it.....but you know me! :)

On 7/7/2017 at 10:30, Barney12 said:

I think these are wise words indeed. Unless you think you'll get future benefit or enjoyment then [...]

The benefit I get (apart for the process of learning, on which I am firmly hooked) is the way that designing something makes  me pay great attention to detail. 

The process of briefing someone to do the job for you is fraught with pitfalls : and that's why -at many levels- people say 'sod it I'll do it myself'.

But I must admit to being hooked on learning software packages. Sunday mornings ; I try to find an hour to teach myself some new aspect of (at the moment) Sketchup.

CAD is the way to go. My chippy mate makes everything up on the fly and gets away with it cos he's pretty damn good and experienced (and an old git :) ).

When he works with me on anything I've CAD'ed up he's always impressed how it all fits together as per design.....even though it's taken an age to get there!

I've tried teaching him CAD but he's a Luddite, it's like feeding caviar to pigs!

But @Onoff, how much did the process of making the CAd drawing teach you about the object.... a good deal, I suspect. And in doing so you shortened the the time it takes anyone to build to your instructions - reduced the number of on site panic-ridden questions, reduced frustration, and got more value out of the people working with you.

11 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

But @Onoff, how much did the process of making the CAd drawing teach you about the object.... a good deal, I suspect. And in doing so you shortened the the time it takes anyone to build to your instructions - reduced the number of on site panic-ridden questions, reduced frustration, and got more value out of the people working with you.

I grew up creating fix lists for others to follow when they get to site. Doesn't always work out. I'd mark a bag "M10x40 - For castors". Another bag would say "M10x70 - For rail spacers". Zip lock bag written on in thick black marker. Next thing I'd have the bloke moaning and bad mouthing me that the castor bolts were too long and the rail ones to short! 

I used to say in the days when you could smoke on site, "Sit down, lay the stuff out, have a fag and READ my lists!". It was worse when transitioning from imperial to metric. They wouldn't check but just say they needed some more 5/8" nuts and it would turn out they were in fact M16. Same with 25mm and 1" bore wheels. Bought them all verniers but they only stirred their tea with them!

PPPPPP! :)

The big problem with all CAD packages is the learning curve, I'm sure, and a large part of that problem probably stems from people not having been taught the basics of draughtmanship at school, I suspect.  I did Technical Drawing as a subject at school for several years (including O level), then never used it at all until I needed to learn how to use AutoCad for a job at work that involved some aircraft modifications.  This was pre-Windows, when we ran AutoCad on a "state of the art" 286 PC running DOS, complete with the AutoDesk dongle that was used to prevent software piracy..................

I went and did the AutoCad course, and found it tough, but not too bad.  The hardest part was remembering all the stuff I'd done in Technical Drawing years earlier at school (like remembering which projection was which).  I can now knock up drawings in AutoCad in a few minutes, having built up a big library of parts and part drawings over the years, so it might take me 10 minutes or so to produce a whole new set of elevation drawings for our house, with lots of changed details.  Someone starting from scratch would spend many tens, perhaps hundreds, or hours just getting to grips with the software, before they ever managed to produce a useful drawing.

For anyone that's only going to ever want to produce drawings very occasionally, then I would strongly suspect that just paying someone to do the job would be a lot quicker and easier.

Edited by JSHarris

Yep, nothing like a bit of 1st and 3rd angle projection, isometric, 30 and 45deg oblique! All done on a board where you can't see the construction lines at arms length. Wonderful grounding for CAD!

I've been using "Sweet Home 3D", it's free and very easy, very quick to use.

I've created a 3D plan of my 3 bedroom apartment within 4 hours.

Did think about using LibreCAD but after 10 minutes and not being able to draw a line I reverted back to Sweet Home.

On 07/07/2017 at 07:04, Ferdinand said:

I need to do a bit of CAD this weekend, and I am not currently up to speed with any package.

It relates to a change of use application for an industrial unit, and my Planning Consultant has advised that a sketch plan on graph paper on this application does not look polished enough and may be an 'in practice' reason why the Council may refuse to validate the application and request more information.

What I need to do will be:

1 - Pull in OS mapping purchased online as a layer/background. Currently I have this background as a PDF.

2 - Draw extra bits (eg car park layout).

3 - Have the appearance of a 'professional drawing' when printed out - Frame, Scale, Notes etc. I do not need exact precision on the drawing, just not to trip a Validation elephant trap.

4 - I might want a couple of library elements - eg row of oblique parking spaces - though such can be drawn.

Can anyone recommend? Time to do the job will be short, since I have about 8-10 queries to resolve.

Cheers

Ferdinand

Well first thing is what software do you have access to? I am sitting with ACAD 2017 in front of me at the moment and have 2015 on other machines. What you propose to do requires very basic CAD skills to be honest, I reckon you could do it with the commands L for line tool, CO for copying stuff, select and Delete key to delete stuff select and M to move stuff and if you don't worry about colours and layers and just draw everything in lines and print it in black and white no one will know you've not got everything all properly layered etc. But this means having ACAD - the licence I have on this machine is £1500 I did have a ummm. "trail" version I used at one point too, it was a long trail.

However, you can download and install ACAD on trail for 30 days. If I was you I would just get hold of it and start messing about tonight, loads of guides and it's pretty easy once you get to grips with the, well grips and commands!

Just how much work is involved? Mean are we moving a few lines or are there curbs and soft verges and general civils to add and all sorts? I would offer to do it for you but if you read my other posts this is a big weekend for me, excavator rolls in tomorrow! I could maybe find you a CAD tech would would do it for a small fee.

Edited by Carrerahill

Hi all, just had a read through this thread. I use Sketchup and do find it really easy to use. As

@recoveringacademic mentioned, learn a new part every time you use it (youtube is your friend for tutorials).

Layers are pretty easy to use except when you have been drawing for half hour and realise your working in the wrong layer, easy to rectify though.

Not sure how it works with plans etc as I don't have layout (need to do plans myself) so might have to resort to pencil and paper!

Edited by jntabbycat

I just use CAD like the bag of a fag packet generally. I'm pretty ill disciplined when it comes to saving, naming etc. Usually works out though. I'll even print out angles to set the bevel gauge to and full size profiles to compare to sawn timber profiles I've made.

I'd advise against using AutoCAD and Draftsight to work on the same drawings say via Dropbox. AutoCAD throws a hissy fit and tells you "this drawing wasn't created in AutoCAD" etc.