Erm...

Don't tell me you've NOT got something like this knocking around:

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/warmup-replacement-floor-probe-for-3ie-4ie-thermostat-2015-upgrade?campaign=googlebase&gclid=CNr0r-fd99QCFcEp0wodGAQAqA

As in its a 10K NTC sensor.

Available at Topps Tiles, Eurocell, Trading Depot etc.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Erm...

Don't tell me you've NOT got something like this knocking around:

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/warmup-replacement-floor-probe-for-3ie-4ie-thermostat-2015-upgrade?campaign=googlebase&gclid=CNr0r-fd99QCFcEp0wodGAQAqA

As in its a 10K NTC sensor.

Available at Topps Tiles, Eurocell, Trading Depot etc.

That's a result right there. :)

I'll see if I can grab one tomw morning and report back here. 

Tres bien x2 ?

Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated as always ?

Would a good wrap of amalgamating tape not be better to attach the sensor? After all, used often enough on hoses under the bonnet.

Or...cable tie it and wrap in foil tape?

Edited by Onoff

IMG_5946.thumb.JPG.ef2c68a67db59e7ac0cd3a22a6e961fa.JPG

Its going down in that void. I can just about get the pipe stat springs on ;)

The idea being if the thermistor fails the landing carpet is the other side and can be taken up to get to it in the next life. 

The white square is the SPEEDFIT pipe with the sun shining on it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

IMG_5946.thumb.JPG.ef2c68a67db59e7ac0cd3a22a6e961fa.JPG

Its going down in that void. I can just about get the pipe stat springs on ;)

The idea being if the thermistor fails the landing carpet is the other side and can be taken up to get to it in the next life. 

The white square is the SPEEDFIT pipe with the sun shining on it. 

So what are you going with now? The kit I linked and a UFH probe?

I wonder if a Tenby would do as a clip?

For repeats of this again I wonder if Ezybond clips would be nice and quick? I've them in 15 & 22, could send you a few. Thinking the UFH probe might be about the same dia as a stripped bond?

ezy-bond-demo-300x83-300x83.jpg.48e436596bb368d4873111d150447abf.jpg

Edited by Onoff

I'm going with the UFH probe as they're nice and robust. 

Next time I'll not have this dropped in my lap so late in the job and it'll be a copper pipe ;)

Ill order the PCB that you linked @Onoff as it's just a one trick pony. The eBay one seemed too complicated with its many buttons of tom-foolery and I'm not sure if it needs manual intervention after a power cut. 

Too late I know but I emailed Swansea hackspace:

https://swansea.hackspace.org.uk/

Justin Mitchell from there came back earlier but I've only just read it:

"The hackspace does have a small stock of generic bead thermistors, I cannot remember exactly which kind they are but 10k ntc sounds plausible. You are welcome to drop in and check, there is a workshop on today 12-4ish and there is our usual open evening monday 7pm onwards.

Tom whitehouse electrical/spares store in swansea market -might- have something, he has an odd selection of stuff.

many tumble driers and other home goods use ntc thermistors, so you might get one from a spare parts supplier but they may not know what rating it is.

next best urgency is to buy from cpc online as they will next-day you stuff and their minimum order is £5"

Worth knowing for the future. Bet there's a whole new bunch of neeks, nerds, gerds & blerds there that could assist on your madcap ideas! :) In fact there's one in most towns.
  • Like 1

Tom Whitehouse Electrical ( in the Swansea market ) is a favourite from my childhood. Just to let anyone know, I rang them pretty early into this thread and they said they no longer stock electronic components :(. Another victim of the online availability of such stuff, they now mainly do lighting, bulbs, and a lot of DJ stuff. 

I remember spending my pocket money there when I was about 10 years old and onwards. Crocodile clips, battery holders, and my favourite....LED's of every colour I could buy. I may well have been one of the few 10 year olds with access to a soldering iron ?

I remember messing with a transformer in my mates bedroom, another electronics geek, and by sending 240v back into the secondary side we were getting an arc at around 4KV and were using it to cut through plastic spoons. :D 

How the fack were still alive I don't know. 

Maplin's gone downhill badly- as have CPC in a way- too many kiddie gadgets.

I spent my teens working in a local TV and video repair shop, and we sold a fair few components. Heck, the boss tried to entice maplin over here about ten years before they finally came over.

9 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Maplin's gone downhill badly- as have CPC in a way- too many kiddie gadgets.

I spent my teens working in a local TV and video repair shop, and we sold a fair few components. Heck, the boss tried to entice maplin over here about ten years before they finally came over.

Yes, i remember having to go to Cardiff to get to my nearest Maplin store, many moons ago.  

37 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I remember messing with a transformer in my mates bedroom, another electronics geek, and by sending 240v back into the secondary side we were getting an arc at around 4KV and were using it to cut through plastic spoons. :D 

You're not the only one ..!

We decided to see how many of those Scalextrix transformers you could piggyback together ... mates dad had an old dial multimeter that said 3Kv or something daft on it and we tried to measure the output of three that we had wired together ... none of us were good at maths at the time but it's since been calculated that we had about 85Kv (thankfully at milliamp levels ..!) and we wondered why the meter never seemed to work properly again. 

And we wired the lot together with speaker wire ..! :D

• Like 1

For me it was Filmers in Dartford. Also Garlands in Deptford where  I bought the complete resistor range  (with money earned digging footings) & Stevensons in Bromley where I bought my first soldering iron (S R Brewster make?). 

Maplins was mail order only for me but a bit later I'd occasionally go to their (only?) Southend store. Back then you could buy ferrite rod, Jackson variable capacitors and Denco coils.

Worth a butchers on eBay searching for "10k ntc thermistor". Lots of cheap ones on there in various styles; loose, with leads, tags, screw terminals etc. 

Thinking you might be able to make a few up for next time. 

Edited by Onoff

Guess what I remembered I had a spare of in the back of the van this morning ?

image.thumb.jpg.f00b204943bf2b26788d02691d4647ba.jpg

Bought 2 heat mats for a job ages ago and it came with a cheap controller so I shelved it in favour of a warmup 3ie. 

Multimeter time....fingers crossed. :)

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just ran it under hot water and resistance drops with heat. From 10k to around 3k. 

Result! So it's deffo NTC and behaving as per the book:

https://learn.adafruit.com/thermistor/testing-a-thermistor

Don't forget you need to mount that Cebec module in something. 1G surface mount box? Grommets or small glands for in / out?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Don't forget you need to mount that Cebec module in something. 1G surface mount box? Grommets or small glands for in / out?

I'll box and gland it down the arse end of the job, when the sparky is 2nd fixing. Got a lot of switching circuits, feature lighting etc etc so that'll be done in one hit.