Splayed Cladding - Weather Protection

Barney12

I've been researching cladding options and I quite like the idea of splayed cladding detailing. I.e.

2017-07-05_17-32-08.jpg.4bdffaf8f2cc6705f19afa5a47c3383d.jpg

All the companies that supply it mention that you need "weather protection" due to the open nature of the boards (which is pretty obvious). But, nowhere can I find what the recommended means of weather protection is? It would be going onto a timber frame.

Is the answer as simple as; batten, fully weatherproof board, batten, splayed timber?

In other words you clad it twice!

The house I saw with that particular style of timber cladding used profile metal sheets as the weatherproof layer on the walls and roof, battened then over clad the whole building (inc roof) as pictured. 

I have seen that done/ The outside was clad in a breathable membrane, then battened then clad.  I thing the crucial thing in the one I saw, was the gaps were narrow, and the edges were cut at an angle, so water entering the gaps would drain outwards, so probably not much would rain would get through the gap.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I have seen that done/ The outside was clad in a breathable membrane, then battened then clad.  I thing the crucial thing in the one I saw, was the gaps were narrow, and the edges were cut at an angle, so water entering the gaps would drain outwards, so probably not much would rain would get through the gap.

Yes the Vastern version is as you describe:

https://www.vastern.co.uk/cladding/splayed-cladding/

2 hours ago, Trw144 said:

Surely a breathable membrane would suffice? That's what I ve used on mine, although it's within the overhangs of the balcony so is nt really exposed

Does a breather membrane actually prevent full weather penetration?

Or is it type dependant? 

14 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Or is it type dependant? 

There's quite a wide range of breather membranes out there. Being a bit ocd, I compiled a list of options with info pulled off the BBA certificate. So I was able to compare g/m2, tensile strength in two directions, nail tear strength, and UV exposure rating.

It is that last factor that is likely to be crucial. Most membranes are only rate for 3-6 months of exposure, so if your cladding detail allows light to fall on the membrane you might be in trouble. Having said that, my wall membrane was fairly cheap stuff and has been keeping the weather out for about a year now, doing a much better job than I had dared hope.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ian said:

@Barney12

maybe all you need behind the timber is a black coloured UV resistant breather membrane and black battens.

This is what I did - although mine is more for aesthetics so that you can't see the shiny silver membrane of the timber frame itself. Its pretty sheltered from the weather as you can see it in my amazing blog.

The hardest part I found was finding a membrane that did nt have a great big logo/name of manufacturer plastered all over it.

11 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Or is it type dependant? 

Yes, if its a proper breather membrane it will provide full weather protection. Obviously common sense needs to come into it as it won't take a snow load etc.

Your main issues:

UV resistance (difficult to assess quality?)

is an insect barrier required?

Colour of the membrane will probably need to be black or dark grey

This 'Grand Designs' build did just what you've been looking at but they had a coloured membrane and no insect barrier that I could see:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/welsh-homes/grand-design-eccentric-mr-strangeways-10061276

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

That looks like lovely stuff. A little dig suggests £45 per sqm or thereabouts.

It seems to weigh about 1 tonne per sqm when used as cladding:

http://www.woodtrend.co.uk/Cladding/IPE-CLADDING

And there is space for appalling anti-Yorshire puns ("pronounced ee-Pay").

How long will it last without maintenance?

F

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ian said:

is an insect barrier required?

I think for us this will be a must.

We already have two bees nests (hives?) in the outbuildings which I really don't mind (although the corner of the workshop is a bit like Heathrow!) but I don't much fancy inviting them to live in the dormers of the main house!

We also have a hornets nest in the woods off to the side of the garden and I'm going to have to be honest; they scare the sh*t out of me!!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

An architect I know who specifies this says that the insects don't like the strong ventilation and won't hang around. 

That sort of makes sense all the creepy bitey things around our place like a warm dry gap. 

Not a draughty bright area.