fire retard treatment for cladding

lizzie

25 minutes ago, Stones said:

It depends on the amount of cladding you have, i.e. area covered and proximity to boundary.  Would have to check the regs for the exact figures.

its only on the west and east and most of the west is glass, my order for clading is 100sqm.  There are no building close to us and the only boundary wall is one we built on the north side we are down a bridleway surrounded by field except for the north where we abut a large garden. Our plot is a corner of that large garden and the house is a fair way across it.

The regs only concern distance to a boundary. The neighbours house could be some distance away, but the assumption is he could build up to his boundary so you might still need fire proofing.

I had to move my wood store shed >1M from the boundary to avoid having to fire proof it.

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

The regs only concern distance to a boundary. The neighbours house could be some distance away, but the assumption is he could build up to his boundary so you might still need fire proofing.

I had to move my wood store shed >1M from the boundary to avoid having to fire proof it.

Oh that is just crazy!

The north wall of our house (which is closest to the boundary wall) will be rendered so I think our clad is at least a metre off at the only corner near the wall....sounds like a phew.

thank you.

@lizzie

Part B of the Building Regs has all the info you need. If your wall is rendered you should ok but you'll need to check window locations and areas obviously if you are close to the boundary.

edit. Part B for England. You need page 42 onwards:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485420/BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf

Edited by Ian

I once had to have some timber cladding treated and the only treatment that BC would accept was pressure impregnated - not surface applied.  This had to be factory applied and the only product / supplier was called NON-COM.  It cost a fortune and added to the cost was the transport from the sawmill to the treatment works, then to site.  It tripled the price of the cladding.

The elevation was 1.2m from the boundary with a field.  I would have preferred to use fibre cement cladding (Marley, Hardie etc) but the planners wouldn't have it.

12 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I once had to have some timber cladding treated and the only treatment that BC would accept was pressure impregnated - not surface applied.  This had to be factory applied and the only product / supplier was called NON-COM.  It cost a fortune and added to the cost was the transport from the sawmill to the treatment works, then to site.  It tripled the price of the cladding.

The elevation was 1.2m from the boundary with a field.  I would have preferred to use fibre cement cladding (Marley, Hardie etc) but the planners wouldn't have it.

omg I dont even want to think about that!

21 hours ago, Ian said:

@lizzie

Part B of the Building Regs has all the info you need. If your wall is rendered you should ok but you'll need to check window locations and areas obviously if you are close to the boundary.

edit. Part B for England. You need page 42 onwards:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485420/BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf

Thank you thats great.