site cctv camera

Hi can anyone make a suggestion for a cctv camera on site to keep an eye on things once our frame is up. we dont have neighbours that can see us so we are vulnerable.

We are concerned because our frame is going up next week and despite us placing our window order and paying thedeposit back in March the window company didnt get it off to Internorm It was only discovered a few weeks ago when they were trying to work out what the big chunk of money in their bank was all about, branch manager had been fired a few weeks before and we are not the only customers affected but I think the only new build. Windows not scheduled now until end August.

MBC want to get on with frame next week and so we will have approx 6 weeks with frame and no windows. We can make weathertight with plastic and carry on with internal work and cladding but we will have a vulnerable insecure building and we have a public bridleway along our boundary so hardly secure with just heras fencing for site safety.

I have power on site so can run mains to a temp camera if needed. I though either battery or mains camera with sim so I can view remotely from my phone.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Liz

P.S. If this is in the wrong section please could you move it, I couldnt find a site security section.

Guest Alphonsox

What services do you have to site at the moment ? Electricity, Phone line, mobile phone service ?

my question would be what do you want from your CCTV? 

do you want to use it for potential evidence if the unthinkable did happen? or do you just want to be able to check on the site whenever you want? 

I only ask because it will make on a differnece on the price, placment and quality of the cameras you buy.

there have been quite a few threads about this so probably best to put "CCTV" in the search box and have a read.

If you just want to be able to check on the site there are some fairly cheap, reasonable quality packages you can get that work on a mobile phone signal, if you want it for evidence you might be looking at a different price bracket

2 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

my question would be what do you want from your CCTV? 

do you want to use it for potential evidence if the unthinkable did happen? or do you just want to be able to check on the site whenever you want? 

I only ask because it will make on a differnece on the price, placment and quality of the cameras you buy.

there have been quite a few threads about this so probably best to put "CCTV" in the search box and have a read.

If you just want to be able to check on the site there are some fairly cheap, reasonable quality packages you can get that work on a mobile phone signal, if you want it for evidence you might be looking at a different price bracket

thanks I just want to keep an eye on it not for evidence. If I saw anything untoward I could ring police I am half an hours drive away.

I will do the CCTV search as you suggest and If you have any  suggestions on the packages I would be grateful. Im not very clued  up on this sort if thing, I looked on Amazon and got totally confused!

L

What's the risk you're trying to mitigate?  I'd suggest that you need to be properly secure before you do much in the way of first fixing, so if you hold off on that, there's probably not much appeal for thieves if you weigh up the re-sale value to risk...

3 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

What's the risk you're trying to mitigate?  I'd suggest that you need to be properly secure before you do much in the way of first fixing, so if you hold off on that, there's probably not much appeal for thieves if you weigh up the re-sale value to risk...

We are already months behind, lost first lot of trades due to delay, have struggled to get replacements,  in a rented house and we have to be out of by end Oct already extended lease as much as we can. I have a health condition I cant live on a building site & my PM goes away for an extended holiday early November.....shall I go on!

I would just like to keep an eye on the place while we have a vulnerability of about 3 weeks between starting first fix and plasterboarding and windows arriving...... If we dont use that time to start first fix we will be in trouble getting done in time for 2nd fixes (already rearranged several times) . We had originally thought we would be in by end May...yes May just gone! 

All v stressful.

Just order some sheets of 18mm shuttering plywood and screw those on from inside. ? Affix some laminated signs saying "smile, your on camera. Nothing of value left on site" and that's about all you can do. 

If you leave the site secure then you put off the opportunists, but unless your on a 24/7 vigil the cctv will help little. :/

What @Nickfromwales has written is right. Your principal aim should be to keep the "opportunist scroat" (technical term!) out of your house.

CCTV is very unlikely to deter such people. It will be "hoody up and in" and then just a remit of mucking about or damaging things. 

Spend the money on some OSB or ply and get those openings screwed shut from the inside. 

I guarantee you'll end up using the wood again for something, even if it's just standing the mixer on to keep it out of the mud!

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

[...]

If you leave the site secure then you put off the opportunists, but unless your on a 24/7 vigil the cctv will help little. :/

It was on the basis of exactly this advice a couple of years ago, that we invested in some expensive locks and chains and secure (no such thing really) storage. And both our dogs (farm dogs) are in kennels and runs right next to our  site stores.

Any attempt at theft will have to be noisy. Thats the best we can hope for. Our son is a local copper, his partner a CSI. They both say that a balanced approach mixing high quality insurance and low-level theft prevention is worth the investment. We are right on what they call the M6 Corridor crime route. And most of the proceeds are distribute in the local ports within hours.

The high speed rechargeable angle grinder plus ultra thin cutting disk is the key weapon to resist. More than one layer of protection slows the thief down and makes the process noisier. Cover your chains with anything that will clog the grinder blade.  Add dogs to the mix if you can. Geese are the best, but messy, and problematic in other ways.

You also need some luck.

18 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Cover your chains with anything that will clog the grinder blade.

A very cheap and low tech version of this is to cover chains in duct tape and thread a piece of cheap blue rope through the links too. 

Duct tape makes a real mess of blades and cheap blue rope soon gets tangled up - both would soon stop a battery grinder. 

Winding some magnesium ribbon under the duct tape too could have some "interesting" results ... you could follow the brown trail to the culprit then .... 

The site security chain I used is one that I used to use to secure my boat trailer, and is similar to the description @PeterW has given.  In my case I used two lengths of Kevlar dinghy rope, threaded through the chain, then covered the whole thing with a bit of heavy duty black heat shrink sleeve.

The idea is that the Kevlar should act a bit like the padding in chain saw clothing, and tangle up around a grinder blade.

I'd explain the situation to Joe at MBC and get his guys to board everything up for you - may cost a few quid extra but they'll do a good job.

You will also need some task lighting inside if you're trying to get any follow on work done.

53 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I'd explain the situation to Joe at MBC and get his guys to board everything up for you - may cost a few quid extra but they'll do a good job.

You will also need some task lighting inside if you're trying to get any follow on work done.

Thats a brilliant idea thank you!

While you're at it, try and get hold of an old front door that's been scrapped, and get it firmly fixed as a temporary entrance that you can make secure with a good lock.  You can often find old doors that have been taken out by replacement door and window fitters - my neighbour acquired a perfectly serviceable uPVC door set for his garage like this.

• Like 1

I had the chain on my site gates cropped in the early stages of our build - nothing stolen, but it made me aware of how vulnerable we were to passing scrotes with bolt croppers.  My first reaction was to replace it with a f.o.b chain, but changed my mind when I realised that the next easiest way in is through the 2mm heras fence wire.  Better to lose 2 quids worth of chain....