Cheese

SteamyTea

I have just burnt my mouth eating a cheese omelette (had 3 of them really).

This got me think about the latent heat of fusion and what it was for Cheddar.

So a quick google and I found out it is 123 kJ/kg [0.0341667 kWh/kg], water is 334 kJ/kJ.

Now it is always best to use a material that can store the most energy, but water fuses at 0°C, so is of little use.  But the  melting point of Cheddar is about 65°C.

It would be fun to make a thermal store out of cheese as it would store a decent amount of energy, smells nice at first and you can eat it if you get hungry.

Anyone have any other favourite foods that they would like to try out?

• Like 1

McDonalds Apple Pie! Don't know what sort of sorcery they use to get the PCM technology into them but they certainly hold the heat.

Driving in the dark whilst eating one should be part of the test IMO! :ph34r:

Edited by Onoff
Poor diction & grammar: "know"

Are there any 'better' cheeses for this application? I am a goats cheese man myself but suspect it will be worse than cheddar so perhaps a really hard cheese might have improved characteristics. Other substances one could think of include, fudge, chocolate and a gigantic humbug!

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

McDonalds Apple Pie! Don't what sort of sorcery they use to get the PCM technology into them but they certainly hold the heat.

Driving in the dark whilst eating one should be part of the test IMO! :ph34r:

They ferment lava and dye it green. Near lost the family alliance when the filling hit my lap a while back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, The MacD's AP caught me out too.

With cheese it seems the harder it is, the less heat it holds.  But I dislike cottage cheese.

Presumably a simple matter of containing less water?

Would a high sugar content medium such as jam not work well. I remember as a kid that all the mums made jam as a matter of course and as such there were some scalding incidents. I was always getting told off as in "It's still hot!"

I think you all need to stop being so silly and have a serious think about what you are trying to achieve.

what do we actually want from the cheese? i am assuming we want it to be able to absorb heat fairly quickly and stay molten for a reasonable amount of time.

does the fact it is "molten" help?

first thought would be camembert or mozzarella, which leads me to think that it is usually the tomato sauce that burns my mouth on a  pizza,

are tomatoes cheaper than cows? /kg of product? 

I would prefer to eat the cheese afterwards.......

Sounds very much like a culinary generator to me. :) 

Me and the better half have just polished off two oven baked, mustard topped, camemberts. Served piping hot with two rounds of inch thick farmhouse white bread for dipping in the hot goo inside. 

Breaking through the baked mustard crust is splendiferous, but second place compared to the profiteroles for desert. 

Stick a fork in me.....I'm done.