Cost of floor tiling

lizzie

Hello all

Can anyone give me any idea for floor tiling labour only. I have 180sqm of 600x600 porcelain tiles to go down and have had scary quote of £50 a metre labour only to lay.

Many thanks

Liz

sorry forgot to say Im near Stratford upon Avon

Edited by lizzie
location not included
  • Like 1

£22 per m2 for laying ditra and tiles was very cheap !  I'm in Swansea and that would have been priced at no less than £35-40.  

Edit : £50 over 180m2 is too high unless it's London. That's a lot of area so a good bit of meat on the bone there ;). If they're good, chop them to £40 and see if they'll bite. 

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

£22 per m2 for laying ditra and tiles was very cheap !  I'm in Swansea and that would have been priced at no less than £35-40.  

He was only a young guy but a real grafter and a perfectionist too which was great to see. I'd be happy to recommend him to anyone else with a build in north Wales.

• Like 1

We paid around £22/m² for about 65m² of travertine stone tiles, laid mainly on to a pretty flat slab, but including two bathroom floors that were laid on to marine ply screwed and bonded to the OSB floor.  We're right on the Wiltshire/Dorset border, roughly midway between Salisbury and Shaftesbury.

Edited by JSHarris

Going rate in the northern home counties is £32-35 per sqm for porcelain upto 90x90 inc adhesive and grout for large continuous areas of over 40sqm. Smaller fiddlier areas add around 2-3 per sqm. Knock off around £3-4 per sqm for labour only.

Thank you all.

My feeling was it was a try on.  Tiles are going straight onto mbc slab with uf heat in slab. we are tidying up a few liitle spots and it will be presented to them perfectly flat and buffed ready for adhesive. Its a single storey fairly open plan building with the same tile right through except in bathrroms .........and they are not included in the 180 @ £50 price bathrooms quoted separately per room to include full bathroom install apparently.

These people who quoted were from the list I got from the Porcelanosa showroom in Solihull where I bought my tiles.

Maybe its because a girl asked for the price perhaps I should get a man to ask probably would be cheaper quote!

Liz

I fear women customers more than men so don't be all shy now ;). Just say what price you'd like to,pay and go for the haggle. 

Tell them a higher price is subject to seeing the quality of the laying ( so they don't just scoot through it to get the money back on the job ). 

37 minutes ago, lizzie said:

These people who quoted were from the list I got from the Porcelanosa showroom in Solihull where I bought my tiles.

Ah! Well there lays your answer!

It seems "extortionate rates" for fitting is the only way they know.

I guess they work on the basis of "well if you'll pay our prices for the tiles then you wont mind the fitting rates" :/

I do accept though that they have some beautiful products!

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I fear women customers more than men so don't be all shy now ;). Just say what price you'd like to,pay and go for the haggle. 

Tell them a higher price is subject to seeing the quality of the laying ( so they don't just scoot through it to get the money back on the job ). 

ha ha good idea!

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Ah! Well there lays your answer!

It seems "extortionate rates" for fitting is the only way they know.

I guess they work on the basis of "well if you'll pay our prices for the tiles then you wont mind the fitting rates" :/

I do accept though that they have some beautiful products!

I got them in the sale 40% off....no sane person would pay their headline prices surely LOL

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Problem is....their 40% off is 20% higher than you should be paying :P. Stay out of the showrooms people ! The same tiles can be found elsewhere with a bit of ringing around ;)

Second that - Casa Grande tiles obtained for a 55% discount from list for a 140 m2 quantity. The order also had another 70m2 of various bathroom tiles.

Oh no never again Nick........we said that 30 years ago with the last one too but we were young and foolish then now we are old and have not learned the lessons but at least life isnt boring. Who needs a pension fund anyway!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lizzie said:

Who needs a pension fund anyway!

Presumably the person selling the tiles ... xD.

My last job was a fixed price including the kitchen.

My one before that was ideal ... import a good with detail relative who is a good tiler and stand there handing out tiles and cups of tea.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1