Internal door opening

Pocster

Hey all,

Looked online but can't find the answer for this.

Due to some complications my bathroom door might have to be narrower than usual.

I *assumed* this might cause an issue for BC (not going to ask them and draw attention to the problem!); due to wheelchair access.

Do *all* building have to have min width doorways for wheelchair access (I can understand on a bungalow) but on a  house with stairs??

Or is it at BC's discretion ?

Cheers

p.s new build

Edited by pocster

For a new build there's no real discretion, other than a bit of minor deviation allowed by assessment by the building inspector.  The minimum opening widths and the access space inside the WC has to meet the dimensions in the diagrams in Part M.  In our case I increased the dimension once side of the WC and ended up about 20mm short of the minimum dimension on the other side, but that was done on the advice of a wheelchair-using friend, who tried it out for us and said he'd rather have more room on the side nearest the door.  I explained this to the building inspector during the completion inspection and he was happy to sign off on it.  I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have accepted a narrower clear opening width, though.

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

Due to some complications my bathroom door might have to be narrower than usual.

[...]

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

Do *all* building have to have min width doorways for wheelchair access (I can understand on a bungalow) but on a  house with stairs??

Or is it at BC's discretion ?

Cheers

p.s new build

I thought you weren't doing a new build but a renovation..??

If so, Part M doesn't apply. 

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

[...]

I thought you weren't doing a new build but a renovation..??

If so, Part M doesn't apply. 

No it's a new build. Just taken so long it seems like a renovation! B|

12 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

For a new build there's no real discretion, other than a bit of minor deviation allowed by assessment by the building inspector.  The minimum opening widths and the access space inside the WC has to meet the dimensions in the diagrams in Part M.  In our case I increased the dimension once side of the WC and ended up about 20mm short of the minimum dimension on the other side, but that was done on the advice of a wheelchair-using friend, who tried it out for us and said he'd rather have more room on the side nearest the door.  I explained this to the building inspector during the completion inspection and he was happy to sign off on it.  I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have accepted a narrower clear opening width, though.

Thanks. The bathroom internal space is no issue.

Part M 2015/16 edition...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/540330/BR_PDF_AD_M1_2015_with_2016_amendments_V3.pdf

Page 7 section 1.15 suggests that there is a minimum width for "all doors to habitable rooms" and the "WC on the entrance storey".

I don't think a bathroom is a habitable room so I think you are ok. Best check I've read that correctly.