We have ikea bathroom cabinets to mount on our bathroom porcelain tiles.  They are Godmorgon 40x14x96 and weigh 12kg each.

I remember that the tiles being a nightmare to drill into to mount a towel rail, I had to buy some diamond drill bits and even then it took ages to drill into them and I was worried I might break the tile, they are large 60x45cm tiles.

So wondering if I could mount the tiles using some 3M VHB tape like this one here

Ikea had the tape on these hooks we used in the bathroom and I swear I could used them as rock climbing holds.

So I'm thinking of getting a roll of tape and sticking it to wall side of the four sides of the cabinet,  letting that cure for a day and then sticking it to the wall.  Has anyone used that tape for doing something like this and did it work?

Those drill bits say they are for ceramic, these are porcelain, and rock hard.  That's why I had to get the diamond core drills before, and even then each hole took ages to drill and I had to use the wet sponge trick to stop it overheating.

Appreciate that I may have to use a drill in the end but really am wondering if the tape is an easy solution

To answer your question, no i have never tried and TBH i doubt i would sleep too well if i had, Just for the sake of experiment though you could try the tape along with a "loose fixing" Just as a safety measure,

also +1 to the wax filled core drills, I have always got on well with them as long as you remember to start with the edge, Obviously i buy mine from other places;) 

I used VHB tape to stick the curved Lexan portlights (windows) to our boat and much to the distress of some bolt-minded friends I did this without any other fastening method!!!! "Couldn't you just use a couple of machine screws?", I remember a worried friend, baffled by this fancy newfangled double-sided sticky-tape, asking. But I researched correct usage of VHB, read about some of the applications and became convinced it was a decent alternative to a ring of bolts that would, inevitably, eventually leak.

@Calvinmiddle - I'm sure if you use a sufficient area of the correct tape to take the static load those cabinets won't go anywhere. Bear in mind though they might NEVER go anywhere... The key to using VHB tapes - as with all sticky stuff - is prep, 3M do products specifically designed to clean and then prime the surfaces to which you wish to stick things but isopropyl alchohol and a clean cloth should do it. 

Gratuitous Caribbean boat shot below, you can see the lexan panels (just) - still firmly on after 15000miles and a mid-Atlantic battering the likes of which your cabinets are fairly unlikely to experience unless you have a very serious plumbing failure. The boat's new owner recently replaced a scratched panel, removing the old one required an angle grinder...

10152672638372119.jpg

I can vouch for the strength of this stuff.  When my last car was written off, there was a massive amount of bodywork damage.  None of the VHB fastened external trim came off, even on panels that were badly creased.  I think the only time I've had a consistent bond failure with the stuff has been when using it to attach a dashboard camera mount to the windscreen.  It seems to last about a year to eighteen months before coming off.  I suspect it's a combination of heat and degradation from sunlight, as it's always the bond to the glass that seems to fail, the stuff stays extremely well bonded on to the attachment (so well bonded that it takes ages to scrape the old stuff off).

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Worth trying the erbauer one? ?

Decisions.....decisions........

I used different sizes of the Erbauer type to drill 14 holes in my porcelain tiles. I sprayed water on them and ran them at slow speed but they have a limited life.

48 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I used different sizes of the Erbauer type to drill 14 holes in my porcelain tiles. I sprayed water on them and ran them at slow speed but they have a limited life.

The £40 ones don't last forever so just wondering if it's for one job / bathroom then is it worth spending the extra £20? I bill these to the customer so don't particularly want to buy anything beyond their needs if it's at extra cost. 

A box of screws left over is fair game but 50% increase on one item needs a 'bit' of scrutiny. ;)

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

The £40 ones don't last forever so just wondering if it's for one job / bathroom then is it worth spending the extra £20? I bill these to the customer so don't particularly want to buy anything beyond their needs if it's at extra cost. 

A box of screws left over is fair game but 50% increase on one item needs a 'bit' of scrutiny. ;)

I only got 3 or 4 holes per Erbauer bit for around 20mm to 25mm diameter. The large bits, 50mm and 60mm I used Spectrum EPX but there weren't so many holes of that size so they lasted.

With the bigger holes I tend to drill the tiles before fitting them. I make a circle out of decorators caulk ( like a moat ) and fill it with water so whilst drilling the bit stays submerged and cool. I've got a 30mm bit which must have done 40-50+ holes and is still going. 

Cheap bits run cool seem to last quite well, but the 5& 6mm ones are a pita as your usually drilling fitted tiles so can't keep the buggers properly wet / cool. 

11 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Worth trying the erbauer one? ?

Decisions.....decisions........

i have been useing these for the odd shower screen i have to fit,

supposedly they have a wax core that does the cooling, and contrary to what peter said they say to run them at full speed, which is what i do and have never had a problem, iv only ever bought one and it must have done 50+holes by now, just remember to start it slow with the edge ( at an angle) holding the drill tight so it doesnt skid about, once you are in about a mil or so, give it the beans and you will get a hole. :) 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marcrist-6mm-Dry-Diamond-Tile-Drill-Bit-/112478177916?hash=item1a3038ca7c:g:IHEAAOSwsW9YwwUn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

i have been useing these for the odd shower screen i have to fit,

supposedly they have a wax core that does the cooling, and contrary to what peter said they say to run them at full speed, which is what i do and have never had a problem, iv only ever bought one and it must have done 50+holes by now, just remember to start it slow with the edge ( at an angle) holding the drill tight so it doesnt skid about, once you are in about a mil or so, give it the beans and you will get a hole. :) 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marcrist-6mm-Dry-Diamond-Tile-Drill-Bit-/112478177916?hash=item1a3038ca7c:g:IHEAAOSwsW9YwwUn

Bird is the word. ?

I'll order one and send you the bill if it burns out :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/07/2017 at 20:42, Construction Channel said:

If it burns out that quick I'll consider paying your bill ?

Ok folks. Using the aforementioned Marcrist 6&8mm double ended bit.

Results are in.....it's fantastic :)

Havent ever had a porcelain tile as hard as the ones on this job, and my regular diamond tipped 6mm bit, used wet to do a few wet holes already with near zero wear, didn't even scratch these tiles :(

£41.99 later ( last minute dash to screwfix ) and it's going through with reasonable ease. 6 holes in and even though it's looking a little rounded now, it's still going. Will update shortly after seeing if it gets the 10 remaining holes done too. 

Im a convert people. These bits are worth every penny ( that the customer will be paying as it's a consumable).