Bonding Fibreglass to PVC Pipe

I know there's a few boaty/planey (technical terms!) types on the forum so I had a quick question regarding bonding fibreglass to PVC pipe:

As a general rule its supposed to be a "no" as fibreglass doesn't stick that well to plastics but in the past I have got away with it by roughing up the pvc and giving it a good clean with acetone. I've also used 3M 5200 in the past but it takes bloody days to dry properly and is a messy horrible product.

I wondered if anyone had used any other methods?

9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

What situation is it to be used in? Penetration through a grp roof?

Yup! Well a GRP box gutter to be precise (Its still a concept idea at the moment but I'm working it up :))

I've made up a drain for a GRP roof, using a bit of GRP tube that fitted inside a standard 68mm down pipe.  IIRC, I bought it from Cornish Fibre Sports, back when my cousin worked there.  It was easy to just bond this in place, as it was shaped like a top hat, with a thin flange to bond the roofing on to.  The down pipe just pushed up from underneath, over the stub.

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I've made up a drain for a GRP roof, using a bit of GRP tube that fitted inside a standard 68mm down pipe.  IIRC, I bought it from Cornish Fibre Sports, back when my cousin worked there.  It was easy to just bond this in place, as it was shaped like a top hat, with a thin flange to bond the roofing on to.  The down pipe just pushed up from underneath, over the stub.

Thats what I was looking for but I've not been able to find anything like it online. CFS don't list one.

I was going to come up with a few ideas but it looks like the other lads have it covered. 

What i I would say backs up nick in that your pipe is a bit small I wouldn't rely on doing some calcs on water volume 

common sense would dictate that any foreign debris will block that in a second, I would definitely use a larger pipe. 

You can get self etching polyester resins and there is a paint on liquid to help bonding to PVC (can't remember the name, it was a white coloured liquid, possibly a silane).

If you try and bond to the internal surface of a pipe you will almost certainly have problems as the GRP will shrink while it cures.  This may not be obvious at first, but it will in time.

Also worth applying a gelcoat to the PVC first as this can allow for a better mechanical lock if the surfaces is scored (roughed up).  It also allows the base resin to adhere better.

Or you could apply a release agent to the inside of the PVC, then a gelcoat and a 'fast mix' for the layup.  This will shrink away.  Then you can release the pipe from the GRP, smear it with silicone sealant and reassemble.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I was going to come up with a few ideas but it looks like the other lads have it covered. 

What i I would say backs up nick in that your pipe is a bit small I wouldn't rely on doing some calcs on water volume 

common sense would dictate that any foreign debris will block that in a second, I would definitely use a larger pipe. 

Ive been trying to come up with a hidden gutter design for my dormer. For it to work the outlet pipe would need to sit behind the timber cladding hence needing to try and keep the pipe diameter narrow otherwise the reveals on the windows will be deeper than I ideally want. 

Closing off the pipe entry in the hidden gutter is not hard with a bit of stainless mesh to prevent debris entering. 

However i cant convince myself of a satisfactory design.....yet!

I could run the drain pipe internally but as this is an "afterthought" I've got no means to connect the internal pipe to the storm drain run as I made no provision in the slab. 

I could connect it to it to the foul drain but if the BCO spots it I'll be in trouble as I'm fairly certain that's not allowed. Or is that only in the case of mains connected foul? (Mines a treatment plant).