Steel Fabrication and CE marking

ToughButterCup

The problem with most of the warranties is that they cover failure rather than poor quality. They will most likely argue that the welds haven't actually failed so there isn't a problem. If the building doesn't fall down in first 10 years they are laughing. 

I recall a case where someone's drains were blocking once a month due to poor design/layout. Their claim was refused because the drains worked when unblocked.

On 10/01/2021 at 13:35, Temp said:

The problem with most of the warranties is that they cover failure rather than poor quality. They will most likely argue that the welds haven't actually failed so there isn't a problem. If the building doesn't fall down in first 10 years they are laughing. 

I recall a case where someone's drains were blocking once a month due to poor design/layout. Their claim was refused because the drains worked when unblocked.

Yes Temp , I have come across this argument before. However this (welding) is a structural safety issue. The counter argument to this is.. prove that what we see will not fail when subject to the design loads and is equal / equivalent at least to the recommendations in the codes. Initially you are often greeted with silence when you counter this way.

The photographs I posted form part of a remedial works scheme. It’s a very long story but the builder went bust, the structure was found to be defective and off the back of that the warranty provider instructed and employed a contractor to carry out remedial work.

There can be no doubt that they (warranty provider) are now responsible for the welding you see in the photos as it was they that instructed the contractor who carried out the welding.

It is fair and reasonable in my view to expect that the warranty provider will remediate the works to a level that reflects the original “value” and quality of the build that they have underwritten. To achieve this, the remedial works should be capable of resisting the loads etc that were used in the initial design. In some cases there may be an allowance for fair wear and tear but this is in my view not applicable to structural safety as it compromises on what we call the “robustness”.

The above is a bit off topic but hopefully if any members are having trouble with their warranty provider then this may point you in the right direction. One way of dragging the warranty providers to the table is to focus on the structural safety aspect. Once you turn this into a safety issue then it tends to focus their mind!

• Like 1

I'm only an amateur/novice/DIY welder. I don't understand why they were trying to weld across gaps? If it was me I'd cut small strips to fill the gap where i was going to weld, or is that cheating? 

On 09/01/2021 at 21:31, Gus Potter said:

The good the bad / ugly?

Here are some photos from a project that is covered by one of the major home warranty providers.. who have been arguing for some time that there is nothing wrong with the welding. The steels and aluminium sections you see are holding up a substantial glazed structure subject to snow drift loading in addition to the run of the mill design loads.

I think I may have shot myself in the foot earlier by extolling the virtues of CE marking...but there are benefits.

The fabricator who did the work claimed they were CE marked but on investigation it turned out that they used to be under their old company before they went bust.

Anyway, some key points are: try and avoid site welding unless you have access to a real pro who can over head weld etc. Believe it or not the “goodish” and the “ugly” work was carried out by the same firm.. I cannot explain..

If this sparks some interest then I’ll try if I can post a blog on what to look out for if you are self builder looking to buy and get some steel fabricated and some practical tips I know of to get best bang for your buck and so on.

As always if anyone feels free please comment.

The "goodish" Not a bad end plate weld on the box section, it is covered with a galv finish though.. seen worse.

759203903_Borderingonthegoodweld-Copy.thumb.JPG.4c567420477589caf300a14ce2846f0b.JPG

Oh dear going downhill!

2072180219_Gettingworse-Copy.thumb.JPG.1aedfa2f1d77779519a1620400dc9ae0.JPG

And now we are somewhere else.. how do you classify the quality of the weld when it is kind of not there?

241103382_Isthisaweldatall-Copy.thumb.JPG.375d61e7c4ed1d458d0eb0d74b76d470.JPG

Surely the welding in the first photo was done in the factory with the steel then shipped off to the galvanisers? Looks reasonable...

The shit welding on that extrusion at the top of the second and third photo is aluminium isn't it? That can be a mission on site, especially if windy. 

Then the angle to the box all steel? Looks like they used the same broken silicone gun for both! ?

Reminds me of a few months back when I set up a bit of angle clamped to a box section and told my lad to weld it up. (He hasn't been welding long). No matter what he did it'd only take to the box. Give it to Dad I said. Silly Daddy, with my dodgy eyes I'd picked a piece of old, discoloured, BRASS angle from the garage. I'd kept my mask on, switched to grind mode when I cut it to length and ground it clean. I just didn't notice including when setting up. 

I've occasionally had stuff tacked up on site then taken back to the factory, properly welded and galvanised such is my aversion to plain painted steel. 

Saying that I've even "fabricated" complex templates in the same thickness MDF, cut to fit with woodwork tools then sent that down to the fabricators and said "copy that" in steel.