Saniflo

Pocster

Right been thinking about this.

Basement WC and kitchen have to pump vertically no choice. Ignoring cost intended to have a separate macerator for WC and another just for kitchen waste (at least that's just grey water).

Regarding the ensuite ; assuming I can't get a normal waste pipe with sufficient fall in there would it be fair to assume a macerator pumping only horizontally is better than one that needs to pump vertically!?

Hey Nick! ; you sure you aren't the PR man for Saniflo!

xD

Have read some other horror stories. Apparently even floss can tangle around the blade and burn the motor out. Some people are so concerned about their system when people visit they make sure they use the 'proper' toilet as they can't be trusted to not put 'bad things' down their saniflo 

I do find it strange that in 2017 a reliable system for this doesn't exist!. Surely a sink waste disposal system has the same task?; that has to deal with liquids and different solids......

Though expensive are the 'commercial' systems any better??

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/saniflo-sanicom-heavy-duty-commercial-pump-system-1/

Edited by pocster

Once you've decided to fit one, the discharge pipework is no worry at all. These will pump high and far, even through 22mm copper or 21.5mm overflow, naturally I'd recommend soldered copper for the incline, then convert to at least 1 1/4" pvc solvent weld or 50mm if possible ( to provide an air beak to mitigate siphon issues ) for the run that falls again ( with rodding caps at every practical / accessible change of direction ).

The best method is to rise continuously in 22mm copper and terminate into the soil stack so you have no discharge sized pipework with a fall. Is that possible?

18 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Once you've decided to fit one, the discharge pipework is no worry at all. These will pump high and far, even through 22mm copper or 21.5mm overflow, naturally I'd recommend soldered copper for the incline, then convert to at least 1 1/4" pvc solvent weld or 50mm if possible ( to provide an air beak to mitigate siphon issues ) for the run that falls again ( with rodding caps at every practical / accessible change of direction ).

The best method is to rise continuously in 22mm copper and terminate into the soil stack so you have no discharge sized pipework with a fall. Is that possible?

I think so!

Cheers

This has to be one of the most hilarious threads of all time. Nick certainly has a way of calling a spade a %^% shovel !!!!

We used to call them "turd choppers"  I can certainly agree they are noisy, and like a waste treatment plant with moving parts, I would not volunteer to service one of them.

Ever considered a composting toilet for the basement?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

This has to be one of the most hilarious threads of all time. Nick certainly has a way of calling a spade a %^% shovel !!!!

We used to call them "turd choppers"  I can certainly agree they are noisy, and like a waste treatment plant with moving parts, I would not volunteer to service one of them.

Ever considered a composting toilet for the basement?

Or just a potty under the bed!

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Or just a potty under the bed!

Ceramic chamber pots have a value, but not for numbe 2s.

Extended windowsill and a longdrop is better for that.

But then the neighbours will get a crossbow and flechettes.

Edited by Ferdinand

The thing that surprises me is that these units have been around for decades, yet they are still noisy and potentially unreliable.  I'd have thought that there has to be a way of making a quiet and reliable solution to this problem by now.  The house in Portpatrick where we stayed was at the bottom of a very steep drive (the builder wittily named it "Doonhill"..........) and had a pumped system for the whole house.  It was a submersible pump in a chamber under the drive, and never gave a moment's trouble in the five years we lived there.  It was also silent, and unless you knew that there was a pump there you'd never guess.

The problem isn't with the unit ( until the motor dies of old age or the capacitor or float switch follow suit ) it's people putting things down the loo that they shouldn't. 

If you just drop the bomb + loo roll it'll never miss a beat, until aforementioned normal wear n tear intervenes.