Saniflo

Pocster

Hey all,

Been looking into these macerating pumps.

On the saniflo website it suggests placing the unit behind a finished wall (say directly behind the WC).

As these are sealed units non serviceable is this wise?. If it fails it's not just removal of the toilet but knocking a hole in your wall to get at the unit and replace.

Cheers

Edited by pocster

16 minutes ago, PeterW said:

They are not sealed units and you have to get them to service them. 

The saniflo website shows them behind a panel.

... and there are better units from other providers.... :ph34r:

They require regular servicing? or just when faulty?

1 hour ago, pocster said:

They require regular servicing? or just when faulty?

Potentially both. Some of the newer ones are much better at handling "hard" items and they do have their place although it would not be choice for a main bathroom

2 hours ago, pocster said:

I am planning it for an ensuite 

I assume I'd have to raise the shower tray in order to get a fall into the unit ?

really did want a shower tray flush and embedded in the floor 

No - some have a low level input for showers so it can stand on the same floor level. 

Well as I need to add insulation , UFH and then screen I assume the tray waste won't be an issue.

I could also make sure that the macerator sits on the beam and block i.e. not on the finished screed floor

When these things pump vertically I *assume* I should install a non return valve near the unit? i.e. so in the event of failure and pipe disconnection I don't get sewage all over the ensuite floor!!!

Sell the project, take the loss. It is probably a better option.

They really are last resort, they will fail, there is another make with a much better reputation, sorry my memory fails me....

I really would not put one behind any plasterwork, or inaccessible, also be very carefully what you pour down the plug hole into it.

Our existing kitchen is lower than the external drains, so we have a sanitive.  As you can probably tell I'm not a fan....

2 hours ago, Jimbouk said:

Sell the project, take the loss. It is probably a better option.

They really are last resort, they will fail, there is another make with a much better reputation, sorry my memory fails me....

I really would not put one behind any plasterwork, or inaccessible, also be very carefully what you pour down the plug hole into it.

Our existing kitchen is lower than the external drains, so we have a sanitive.  As you can probably tell I'm not a fan....

I'd rather ? in a bucket and throw it out the window. Work of the devil. Yes they're servicable, plenty of people ring and ask me to fix them...............I tell them to FO. My reply is "replace or nothing" as its always the impellers blocked or the capacitor for the motor ( which are immersed in the worst milkshake you'll ever see ). I'm shaking my head as I'm typing....yuk. 

On 22 June 2017 at 14:18, pocster said:

I am planning it for an ensuite 

I assume I'd have to raise the shower tray in order to get a fall into the unit ?

really did want a shower tray flush and embedded in the floor 

The tray can't go flush as the sani-shat inlet is at the bottom of the unit and you cannot have waste runs going uphill. So elevated tray or nowt sorry. 

Can't you get a soil pipe in here somehow? ANYhow ? 

On 22/06/2017 at 14:11, PeterW said:

Potentially both. Some of the newer ones are much better at handling "hard" items and they do have their place although it would not be choice for a main bathroom

Hard items?

Do you have an insufficient curry budget?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pocster said:

Well as I need to add insulation , UFH and then screen I assume the tray waste won't be an issue.

I could also make sure that the macerator sits on the beam and block i.e. not on the finished screed floor

When these things pump vertically I *assume* I should install a non return valve near the unit? i.e. so in the event of failure and pipe disconnection I don't get sewage all over the ensuite floor!!!

Access and maintainibility need to be *major* priorities with these buggers.

I only have one and that was installed by a tenant in our shop basement without our knowledge sometime within the last but one decade. We have always successfully maintained that it is a T responsibility so far !

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I fitted one for a friend of my wife's parents. Ensuite added to the master bedroom for accessibility ( night loo visit instead of the far away downstairs bathroom ). Installed as the budget wasn't there to tap into the sewerage, against my advice and will. 

I made the ensuite out of stud frame and decided the best of this evil was to mount the unit backing onto the bedroom, boxed within the wall so the Sani-shat was out of view from inside the ensuite, and out of sight from the bedroom. The idea was that if the unit failed / other, you could get at and remove the unit via the removable panel I created, thus leaving the bathroom and WC in place and unnafected. A new ( replacment ) unit could then be fitted in its place within about 30 mins start to finish. 

That was taking the WC, basin and an elevated shower tray. Still working but I told them "#1's only if you want an easy life, #2 goes downstairs" and I also said don't ask me to EVER fix it, it'll only ever be slung and a new one fitted. Until they agreed that I wouldn't fit it. Just waiting for the ? to hit the fan, only a matter of time tbh. 

Here we go....

image.thumb.png.bd8742217e1444000660cc277ba46d00.pngimage.thumb.png.fbde93fdd981272a03026ed06cbc2013.pngimage.thumb.png.431cecc1eea5b554c9f80dacbe4e04db.png

The rear access was big enough to get the unit out without disturbing the bathroom, and a boxing around the bit of the unit sticking out into the room made it 'invisible'. Boxed and tile skirted to match what you see there. 

Just looking at the date makes me realise I've fitted ( under duress ) probably two or three of these in the last 20 years! 

LOL!

I get the impression we aren't fans of these.

What fall over distance must a standard toilet waste run have?. I got to cross the width of the house around 7m to reach the drain. Would also require drilling through a 1 foot thick reinforced concrete wall - guess a diamond cutter would be needed.

BUT!; below ground for a WC I have no option but a sani - shite (as you call them B|) - but why no non return value on the output?

Fully appreciate when it busts to just replace it! - not interested in attempting a repair 

Cheers

Edited by pocster

11 hours ago, pocster said:

- but why no non return value on the output?

Sorry, forgot to discuss this. They come with an integral heavy rubber 'crap-flap' on the outlet as standard. No other type of NRV would do as the sweetcorn launcher would block them.

Consideration must be given to the ongoing discharge pipework as certain runs require an air admittance valve to be fitted mid point to alleviate any possible siphoning issues. Upsizing the pipework will negate this, which is what I did each time. I didn't like the idea of an AAV getting contaminated, then jamming in the part open position and then the turd tornado crop-spraying out of it ( as they pump at around 10bar iirc :S ). 

Edit : 10psi :/. My bad. 

Linky

Just to chuck in my three ha'pence worth, they are NOISY.  We stayed in a holiday let some years ago that had one of these, and the noise if someone went to the loo in the middle of the night was enough to wake the dead.   The pump seemed to start from some sort of level switch, and the one in the holiday let would give a short couple of bursts even if the loo wasn't flushed.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

The pump seemed to start from some sort of level switch, and the one in the holiday let would give a short couple of bursts even if the loo wasn't flushed.

That's usually a part blocked NRV ( rubber crap flap ) and the residual fluid that's been pumped away ( still sat in the outlet pipe as the unit doesn't pump that pipe clear, it only pumps the unit out into it ) is able to slowly seep back into the machine, back-filling the unit and raising the level switch causing the unit to bail out again. Another inevitable annoyance associated with one of these things. :(

20 hours ago, pocster said:

BUT!; below ground for a WC I have no option but a sani - shite (as you call them B|) - but why no non return value on the output?

How far below ground ? Basement ? 

10 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Sorry, forgot to discuss this. They come with an integral heavy rubber 'crap-flap' on the outlet as standard. No other type of NRV would do as the sweetcorn launcher would block them.

Consideration must be given to the ongoing discharge pipework as certain runs require an air admittance valve to be fitted mid point to alleviate any possible siphoning issues. Upsizing the pipework will negate this, which is what I did each time. I didn't like the idea of an AAV getting contaminated, then jamming in the part open position and then the turd tornado crop-spraying out of it ( as they pump at around 10bar iirc :S ). 

Edit : 10psi :/. My bad. 

Linky

Hmmm, that cat flap does sound crap (no pun intended) could I not simply add a non return valve to the discharge pipe just for peace of mind?

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

That's usually a part blocked NRV ( rubber crap flap ) and the residual fluid that's been pumped away ( still sat in the outlet pipe as the unit doesn't pump that pipe clear, it only pumps the unit out into it ) is able to slowly seep back into the machine, back-filling the unit and raising the level switch causing the unit to bail out again. Another inevitable annoyance associated with one of these things. :(

How far below ground ? Basement ? 

Yep basement (this is a separate WC); so no choice here. The ensuite I'm thinking about is at ground level.