Pillar drills

pudding

I'm looking for a pillar drill. I've got some 100mm square cedar posts that I need to drill some perfectly square and true 1/2in holes in for base fixings, so I thought now is a good time to ge a pillar drill. Budget say 150-200. Any recommendations or essential features to have/avoid?

Ta.

Edited by pudding

Like so many workshop tools at this price point the vast majority out there are Chinese units in various guises! Some exactly the same machines painted different colours! 

I've got a Woodstar TD16T 550w unit which is good quality and seems robust but it doesn't seem available anymore. If your budget will stretch go for a 550w machine. 

You could do worse than take a look at Poolewood Machinery http://www.poolewood.co.uk

Good service and friendly advice. I've used them for a few things and have a couple of Charnwood branded items from them which have performed very well, especially the table saw.

I can't believe I gave mine away to my son. What a STUPID thing to do.

The chances of me rescuing it now are zero. I could easily pinch it back, but it wouldn't be worth the years of grief.

However, a Christmas Present plan opportunity presents itself: maybe it's not all bad....^_^

1 minute ago, recoveringacademic said:

I can't believe I gave mine away to my son.

Great you have a son who is interested in making / mending stuff. Ours, and his sister, appears uninterested - wonder what he / they will do when they inherit my workshop! Just scap it all I expect, probably in the same skip with my CD collection. Have not made it easy though biggest machine weighs in at 750KgO.o

In pillar drill terms you might find that buying a pistol drill with the right attachment points and a drill frame for it will do just as well and your can use the pistol drill without the frame. You will of course need 110mm of travel and 210+ clearance in the throat to drill 100mm deep. 

20 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

In pillar drill terms you might find that buying a pistol drill with the right attachment points and a drill frame for it will do just as well and your can use the pistol drill without the frame. You will of course need 110mm of travel and 210+ clearance in the throat to drill 100mm deep. 

You don't get a geared-down drill that way though :/. Pretty much essential for a pillar drill TBH. 

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You don't get a geared-down drill that way though :/. Pretty much essential for a pillar drill TBH

Not many of the cheap pillar drills will have geared heads and 12mm forsner bit or standard drill bit can be turned by the larger pistol drills. Agree that a good pillar drill is a joy. This machine would be / is my weapon of choice. 

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Great you have a son who is interested in making / mending stuff. Ours, and his sister, appears uninterested - wonder what he / they will do when they inherit my workshop! Just scap it all I expect, probably in the same skip with my CD collection. Have not made it easy though biggest machine weighs in at 750KgO.o

I was chatting to someone the other day who said the very same thing.  His cunning plan is getting involved in the mens shed movement up here, the aim being that any workshop equipment not wanted by family would pass on for the collective benefit of like minded individuals.

• Like 1

I would suggest something like this http://cpc.farnell.com/sip/01700/bench-pillar-drill-50mm-350w/dp/TL19178

It's what I call the "generic bench top pillar drill" sold under any number of different names from loads of suppliers, even been in Lidl before now. I have been using one for over 20 years, bought originally for about £50. 5 speeds via belt change. I'll bet you find one a lot cheaper than that on ebay.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stones said:

The mens shed movement up here, the aim being that any workshop equipment not wanted by family would pass on for the collective benefit of like minded individuals.

Yes we have one reasonably local to us, in Maidstone, good idea.

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Not many of the cheap pillar drills will have geared heads and 12mm forsner bit or standard drill bit can be turned by the larger pistol drills. Agree that a good pillar drill is a joy. This machine would be / is my weapon of choice. 

That looks very similar to what I used as an apprentice. Cleaned at the end of every day with Trichloroethane 111 aerosol spray, ( and that's the last thing you'd remember for 30 mins or so :D )

Banned now of course. :/

I wouldn't want a pillar drill without an emergency strike switch at the front to cut the power, if you get tangled up for any reason :/. A foot operated switch would be a good option but having the cut off inaccessible at the rear would put me off tbh. When geared right down these drills have some serious torque available and won't stop for anything, also very unpleasant when they pick up and spin the vice block :S........never let go of that !

12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

never let go of that !

If you think you will need to let go then you perhaps should have clamped the vice down, much the safer route anyway. Essentially you have to be sure the drill will break before you do, if you are not sure bolt it down. O.o

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I wouldn't want a pillar drill without an emergency strike switch at the front to cut the power, if you get tangled up for any reason :/. A foot operated switch would be a good option but having the cut off inaccessible at the rear would put me off tbh. When geared right down these drills have some serious torque available and won't stop for anything, also very unpleasant when they pick up and spin the vice block :S........never let go of that !

I'd second that.  I acquired a very old, but massively constructed, industrial pillar drill many years ago.  It had been thrown out because it didn't have a no-volt switch, just a rotary switch on the left hand side.  I bought a no-volt switch contactor box and fitted it to the front of the drill and I've been grateful for the big stop button several times when things have decided to go whizz about.

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 1

I still remember the lecturer in the SWALEC training centre in St Mellons, Cardiff screaming as another fresh 16 year old left the chuck key in the lathe and switched it on. After a few seconds of spooling up to speed you could hear it fly off and whack a few walls and the ceiling before coming to a stop. Worse day was when I left the lever up on the metal folding press and all it took was a fly landing on it to drop the couple of hundred kg anvil back down, flicking the lever like a whip as it went. Caught me right in the chops and nearly took my front teeth out.

Looking back I realise just how dangerous the equipment we were 'playing' with was :(. Nowadays we wouldn't be allowed in the same room as it ! I can't remember why we had a lecture about NOT blowing bubbles ( with the unlit oxyacetylene torch ) in the oil pot used for tempering, but the word explosive rings a bell ?

Good times. ?

19 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

If you think you will need to let go then you perhaps should have clamped the vice down, much the safer route anyway. Essentially you have to be sure the drill will break before you do, if you are not sure bolt it down. O.o

You soon get lazy when you've a series of holes to drill :/

Best set to mention the need for a recirculating coolant system if your doing any serious work. A can of spray is ok, but leaves you machining single handed, so the automatic coolant systems are worth considering. 

A cheap and cheerful one here.

7 hours ago, pudding said:

Thanks for the replies. What about this - http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb541dbt-530mm-drill-press-230v/17643#product_additional_details_container . Seems bigger and more powerful than most around this price?

Or this if it perhaps better quality? http://www.poolewood.co.uk/product/fox-16mm-pillar-drill-f12-941a/

I wouldn't touch that Titan machine with a 10ft barge pole for the reasons others have mentioned.

That Fox unit looks pretty much identical to my Woodstar machine which I had been a good workhorse. 

I've got one (actually two, but I won't go into that) of the Lidl ones. Not particularly impressed, to be honest. What did I expect for £50? Seems just sloppy enough to ruin accuracy, and the casting on the table clamp broke the first time I used it. Without a working table it's next to useless, as there is only 50mm of travel.

44 minutes ago, pudding said:

So that Titan is one to avoid due to the lack of emergency shut off switch? Shame as I was v  tempted as the rest of the specs seem good.

Absolutely. When you've got a nice bit of timber that has swung round hit you in the chest causing winding you and is then spinning like a blade you'll appreciate a front mounted switch. Ask me how I know! :)

I'm actually quite surprised they're allowed to make them with a kill switch at the back. Seems pretty self defeating to me. I was always taught that you NEVER lean across a tool.