What are you most pleased about?

Two things ...! Brickwork and the wine cellar ..!

I set my brickie a real challenge with some reclaims that were big and heavy and different sizes and he's done brilliantly ... and even a cock up with my marking out was resolved with a lovely corbel to the chimney that "looks" like it should have been there...

IMG_0216.thumb.JPG.234e8281e4446e694aa7e9aa8d70371c.JPG

And the wine cellar was me being stubborn about not filling in the old garage pit - perfectly sound and dry and a bit of shuttering and some concrete and we have a perfect wine cellar for about £200 vs the thousands we were quoted for a circular one..!

• Like 3

That I'm virtually finished!

How well the house sits on the site (now that its landscaped), how it looks and the quality of the build / finish.

Inside I love having a kitchen worktop height of 1000mm, the showers, endless supply of DHW, and the little snug with best view where I sit and have a cuppa.

• Like 2

I still smile to myself that we actually got planning as everybody said no chance. My "kind" neighbour even offered to relieve some of my financial commitment and buy some of the ground since I had no chance in planning.... he and his council mates have been a thorn in my side all through planning since I kindly refused his offer, this makes it even sweeter now! 

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Alexphd1 said:

I still smile to myself that we actually got planning as everybody said no chance. My "kind" neighbour even offered to relieve some of my financial commitment and buy some of the ground since I had no chance in planning.... he and his council mates have been a thorn in my side all through planning since I kindly refused his offer, this makes it even sweeter now! 

haha - I had the same. Two (local) people told me categorically I wouldn't get permission and gave me hints about how someone might want to graze some sheep and I might recoup my money after 25years. Because I never told anyone about my application, I let these two people go on with their words of wisdom before finally telling them permission has been granted. LIke a camel chewing a wasp I think is the expression!

• Like 3

Love my skylight - it's beautifully made and as skylights go, it gorgeous. We love our new kitchen - even though we'll not be using it for a while. 

I love my in progress garage - since I was 16 I've never had a proper place to work on my cars and now I'm building a 6 car garge, I'm uber excited! We both love the design of the house inside - we did some rework as we we build the internals and it works so well for us. I really like my manifold for the water supplies. 

Lots to be happy about - the challenges and negatives just fade away, pointless bothering about the past :) 

I am just please that I am still managing to progress our build, albeit very slowly, without selling the old one and without borrowing money. I never expected to get this far before the pot ran completely dry, and I even have a plan B to release some assets next March to get even further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

[...]

I really like my manifold for the water supplies. 

Lots to be happy about - the challenges and negatives just fade away, pointless bothering about the past :) 

Yes, I could tell that you were going to enjoy that: 'sod-it-I'll-do-it-myself' writ large all over that post a couple of weeks ago.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Strikes me there's a good bit of doom and gloom about.....

So, what are you most pleased about in your build or refurb? Not the place for moans. Not the place for groans.

What puts a grin on your face when you go on site?

I'm most pleased that I've not murdered anyone this week :D 

Proud of myself I am! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

That every time I drive home (so far) the barn is still standing and Faye is still there. It's been painfully slow but I can almost taste it being watertight. 

Is this because Faye has been locked in said barn? :) 

"That every time I drive home (so far) the barn is still standing and Faye is still in there" 

• Like 2

That the pain has stopped. 2 long years of nearly killing myself took its toll on my back, knees , elbows and every other joint. Now it doesn't take 5 mins to get out of bed and straighten up. I can sit out the back now in this great weather and finally enjoy living in it. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Don't worry Faye! @Mrs Construction Channel, we're on your side.... we'll come and set you free!

Thats very kind of you but really it is ok. He keeps me very well fed and watered. Sometimes he even brings me dessert. 

The only change I would make is for him to be a little less good looking. He tries so hard to fend off all the other women but it must be very tiring for him. ?

• Like 1

Just now, Mrs Construction Channel said:

Thats very kind of you but really it is ok. He keeps me very well fed and watered. Sometimes he even brings me dessert. 

The only change I would make is for him to be a little less good looking. He tries so hard to fend off all the other women but it must be very tiring for him. ?

Ahhh. Thanks Faye ??

I am pleased about everything on my build from (finally) getting planning permission, the whole build looks great and what I wanted it to look like. The icing on the cake is our builders, what a great bunch, nothing is too much trouble, i thought i was a fussy so and so but they are just as fussy!!!!!!!!!!, also my new toy ( historic MG kit car) is just the best thing to buzz about the country lanes in after a hard days work on site. I am one very happy bunny.

3 hours ago, Mrs Construction Channel said:

Does this mean we can't say rude things and fart loudly now?

Ola! ?

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Does this mean we can't say rude things and fart loudly now?

Ola! ?

xD there are a lot of other females that have been here a long time and no one batted an eye,

"Faye" makes one comment and we have to start pretending we are well behaved :D 

Dont worry, she lives with me.....the personification of an uncouth builder ;) 

4 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

xD there are a lot of other females that have been here a long time and no one batted an eye,

"Faye" makes one comment and we have to start pretending we are well behaved :D 

Dont worry, she lives with me.....the personification of an uncouth builder ;) 

"Fire in the hole!" ??

• Like 1