Triple glazed units. Thickness

dogman

• 5 weeks later...

So, the new glazing panels turned up today. 7 large triple glazed panels for the sliders. I knew it would not go well ( i expect it )and one was broken whist being transported.

We had agreed soft coat x2  toughened and laminated solar reflective outer pane with krypton 

Trouble is how do you tell if we are being conned. They have put it in writing but there is nothing to say its either Krypton or solar reflective glass.

In fact the glass they took away was exactly the same. Ok it is sort of reflective when stood outside but the glass looks the same as the glass doors and fixed pane windows. It even has a number printed on it that is exactly the same as the number on the glass taken away( we took photos)

Anyone got solar glass and does it have any identification on it?

The glass will have a marking, depends on where the glass was made to be honest.

If UK, usually a kite mark, if EU it will usually have the EN number etched into the glass or spacer. Thats to do with the toughening/lamination of the glass. The gas filling isn't marked anywhere and it's a case of believing the written documentation supplied.

The solar coating will have a slightly different tint to it but it's difficult to tell.

Edited by craig

The easy way is to point a thermal imaging camera at it.  If it's coated then it will reflect back pretty much all the long wavelength IR that the imager looks at.  The effect is very dramatic - I took a thermal image of samples of external reflective film stuck on one of our windows and it stands out very clearly indeed.  The two rectangles in the glazed panels either side of the glazed door are samples of solar reflective film, showing just how dramatic the effect is.

img_thermal_1465564738284.thumb.jpg.b1062b7af13e023439fc63f81ea45344.jpg

Edited by JSHarris

On 22/06/2017 at 18:02, Barney12 said:

Ours is bi-parting. The price was a smidge over £6k fitted (as part of a much bigger order). I have to say it is a thing of beauty! 

As for the other doors well they would be if they were right :( 

IMG_1099.thumb.PNG.461734b1df75f98b1116f23037ca7b61.PNG

We are having a 3.5m wide slider to that spec  (except we went for laminated glass) .....when it eventually turns up! It was about £4500 ex vat and part of a larger order.

That's just the marking to show that the glass is laminated/safety glass, it doesn't indicate any coating.  The coating type isn't usually marked on the glass, AFAIK, but only on any sticky labels there may be on the glazing units (our glazing units all had sticky labels on giving the spec, not sure if this is common practice or not).

18 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

our glazing units all had sticky labels on giving the spe

so did ours they said Argon gas. When pointed out they were removed and went missing but i did get photos. The company were challenged and confirmed again in writing they had Krypton and the stickers are the standard stickers as they don't have krypton labels in the factory.

If i can prove there is no coating then i have them over a barrel. To be honest if that's the case it amounts to a deliberate deception so will go to trading standards, and seek a prosecution.

As above, the easy to prove where there is an externally reflective coating is to get someone with a thermal imaging camera to take an image of the outside face of the glass, on a sunny day.  If it isn't externally reflective then it will show the temperature behind the glass (as in my image above, that shows the inside temperature of the house at 21 deg C).  If it does have an externally reflective coating then the temperature will be a lot higher; in the image above it looks like the two rectangular patches of coating are around 30 deg C, for example.  That's not the true surface temperature, it's just heat from the sun being reflected back to the thermal camera and fooling it into thinking the surface temperature is a lot higher.

28 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

get someone with a thermal imaging camera to take an image of the outside face of the glass, on a sunny day.

Seem to remember our parish council bought one for some eco club to test local houses will see if i can get them to come round and check

If you get stuck, then you're not that far from me, I suspect, maybe an hours drive, so I could possibly bring my thermal camera up and take some images. 

Ideally you'd want to try and position one of the new glazing units next to one that doesn't have the externally reflective coating, facing towards the sun, if possible, with a colder surface behind.

• Like 1