I am planning to try one of these reflective films, as discussed recently, om a couple of roof windows.

This is my Velux window type. Questions are:

1 - This looks to me as if the beads cannot be snapped off. Correct?

2 - Is there anything else I need to think about?

Cheers

IMG_0261-s.jpg.d2c1f12a89eadb8c3c6d0fe8a67e6745.jpg

IMG_0262-s.jpg.feb80d636764c5ac136d325c1fbde375.jpg

The guys that fitted our film just used a very thin stainless steel straight edge and a scalpel to trim the film very close to the edge of the glass.  The film is maybe half a mm away from the external bead, but in practice that isn't at all visible.  I can't see those beads being a problem, they will just hold their thin stainless tool against the edge bead and trim the film to a neat line just inside it.

I can vouch for the external film being very effective in this hot weather.  The inner panes of glass are barely getting warmer than room temperature, and the solar gain has been massively reduced, to the point where the cooling systems are not coming on until mid to late afternoon on the last couple of days, when it's been over 32 deg C outside.

53 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The guys that fitted our film just used a very thin stainless steel straight edge and a scalpel to trim the film very close to the edge of the glass.  The film is maybe half a mm away from the external bead, but in practice that isn't at all visible.  I can't see those beads being a problem, they will just hold their thin stainless tool against the edge bead and trim the film to a neat line just inside it.

That is the industry standard (architectural and automotive). Trims are rarely removed.

The industry bodge by poor fitters on darker tinted films is to use a sharpie marker to hide poor trimming to stop the light coming through so you don't notice the gap!!

9 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

we are the cool bit of the country.

Penzance has just had a drop in temperature of 5°C (26° to 21°) in 3 hours 22 minutes.

That is 1°C every 40 minutes.

Inland a bit at Carnkie, it has dropped 1°C every 27 minutes.

May have to put my jumper on.