Reducing The Potential for Error

Our windows order is important partly because of the value of the order. And so the scrutiny of detail, intense.

The whole process of creating an accurate order has been made so much more difficult because of the lack of attention to detail on the part of some  involved in the administrative process. Notably not in the case of our supplier. Austrian company - nuff said.

I am keen to reduce the sources of error, and, among other things I have decided to spray the window designation on each structural opening.

wg5.thumb.jpg.18e96a257c6fe43fb7e4a1a0428e1b60.jpg

With any luck when the company comes to fit the windows, the fitters won't have to ask which window goes where......

Which simple site-based practical strategies have you used to reduce the potential for error? I'm not thinking about high level stuff like Prince2. Just nuts and bolts practical stuff.

You've completely outdone me. I used a Sharpie marker:-)

I also added all the dimensions, FFL detail etc so that MBC were absolutely certain what they were doing (as the upper floor openings were made wrong in the factory).

Our windows arrived on a lorry 20 minutes ago! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

I also added all the dimensions, FFL detail etc so that MBC were absolutely certain what they were doing [...  ] 

Our windows arrived on a lorry 20 minutes ago! 

What a good idea! Good luck with the fitting. 

Ian 

21 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

I chalked it on, but there's no substitute for being there walking round making sure everything is happening as you expect it to

The number of little things I have picked up because of simply walking round, sharing a laugh and a joke, handing out iced water.... bit of encouragement, fetch, carry. Works for this team, might not for others 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

The number of little things I have picked up because of simply walking round, sharing a laugh and a joke, handing out iced water.... bit of encouragement, fetch, carry. Works for this team, might not for others 

I have a Tesco Metro on the way to the current site. They have a special price-engineered £1 Cornetto, which are popular.

Well they seem like a nice enough bunch of lads.

First coffee delivered and a little "tool box talk" about the importance of getting the FFL right.

First comment from the team leader "have you got a drawing with the window numbers on them?". Me: "Yes, here you are and they're all written on the walls too".

This "lack of drawings" issue is one that seems a reoccurring theme. Just how much effort would it be for them to include a packet of drawings with the delivery?

Heard of a great method for setting out brickwork on tf-

drop a plumb line from the eaves at each corner and measure off at the frame at each floor level. This will give precisely give you your dim from frame to front of wall & allow you to correct yourself as you come up if you're wondering off plumb by a mil or 2.

Anytime I've had people in,  I have Multiple sets of the drawings printed in A3 and laminated. Their faces tend to light up! Works really well for the ground work as they kept their shape and didn't get affected by dirt or water.  

Not cheap but well worth it. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

Anytime I've had people in,  I have Multiple sets of the drawings printed in A3 and laminated. Their faces tend to light up! Works really well for the ground work as they kept their shape and didn't get affected by dirt or water.  

Not cheap but well worth it. 

Ditto. Even better if missus can get it done for nowt

as above, put it on an UP TO DATE drawing and give them a copy. (note the emphasis on up to date), 

A3 would be ideal but a4 will be fine as long as you can still read everything,

assuming you have a list/schedule from the manufacturers, copy as much info from that list onto your drawing as practical. 

as for writing on the walls, this might be helpful but you really must make sure this doesnt contradict anything on the drawing you have given them, 

having said all that, you really cant beat being on site to ask questions. 

how many windows of similar sizes have you got? or to be more precise how many potential mix ups have you got......

most of the time it is pretty obvious which window fits in which hole. 

I always have up to date plans available. I'm also very fortunate that I have an A1 printer/plotter at home!

But that's not really the point I'm making. I've spent nearly 40k on windows, the fitters work for the supplier, the windows were delivered from the suppliers warehouse (which I know is round the corner from their offices) on transport organised by them. So surely it is not unreasonable for me to expect the fitting team to have a set of drawings? 

A I've said though I've experienced the same from others (Even the first guys onsite from MBC to do the slab had no drawings).

I guess it's just the accepted norm in the industry. 

I'm not ranting by the way. Its a problem easily overcome. I guess I just find it surprising.

A friend's building a large extension, the planning drawings only had two dimensions on them, length and width. When he queried this with the architect he was told that fully dimensioned construction drawings would be an extra £1500. So he and the builder are making it up as they go along!

Edited by Triassic

27 minutes ago, Triassic said:

A friend's building a large extension, the planning drawings only had two dimensions on them, length and width. When he queried this with the architect he was told that fully dimensioned construction drawings would be an extra £1500. So he and the builder are making it up as they go along!

Perhaps he needs to explore the dimensions for a gallows ... 

25 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Happens all the time. I can't remember the last time we actually built anything from the plan. 

It is bloody frustrating as the builder though. They are essentially saying " I'd rather not pay £1500 for the architect to un hide a layer on his cad drawing, so....... how about you do it for free and if I think I would have done it differently you can just change it. "

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Happens all the time. I can't remember the last time we actually built anything from the plan. 

It is bloody frustrating as the builder though. They are essentially saying " I'd rather not pay £1500 for the architect to un hide a layer on his cad drawing, so....... how about you do it for free and if I think I would have done it differently you can just change it. "

It's the first time he's done anything like this, a fairly simple rectangular box of an extension and the architect has failed to impress him, so the request for an additional £1500 for some dimensions to be added to show the setting out of an internal wall and a few windows was too much for him.

31 minutes ago, Triassic said:

It's the first time he's done anything like this, a fairly simple rectangular box of an extension and the architect has failed to impress him, so the request for an additional £1500 for some dimensions to be added to show the setting out of an internal wall and a few windows was too much for him.

I don't blame him at all, unfortunately, its just the way it is,

the frustrating part is (assuming the drawings were done on CAD) it is more than likely the architect already has all the dimensions on the drawing, they just decide to hide that layer when they print it the first time so they can charge a bit more. 

I did my own drawings on Sketchup and I reckon it would take me 5 mins max to add the dimensions to my drawings including starting up the computer, changing the ink in my printer and having a 4 min chat in the middle of it :) 

12 hours ago, Barney12 said:

This "lack of drawings" issue is one that seems a reoccurring theme. Just how much effort would it be for them to include a packet of drawings with the delivery?

Back to your question - Janex did provide drawings to accompany our spec - although in reality it only made things slightly quicker rather than any easier. In the end it's a rectangle with two dimensions.

Just to underline @recoveringacademic point.

I'm about to head to site to deal with a potential issue with our big (and very expensive) bi-parting doors where the FFL is a good 5mm higher than agreed (and a good deal higher than the other 4 doors on the same level). Currently the window company are blaming MBC recess detail and the general slab level.

I have a sinking feeling that I'll be left with the problem of working out if I can lose 5mm in the tiling. I might need help from the tiling legend aka @Nickfromwales as to whether that's possible.

Window and door detailing. It's been a headache from the very start :(