Layout questions

Hey all,

Please see attached the original architects layout suggestion and also my *rough* alterations.

Any suggestions or comments on better use of the space appreciated.

The measurements are fairly accurate but I do have some concerns.

Measurements are from *outside* of timber frame so don't allow for thickness of it; originally it was 100m now 140mm.

This makes the ensuite shower very tight (originally a 80x80cm standard one); due to the walls thickening now maybe a 70cm wide one? . I can't increase the width of the ensuite as the french doors wouldn't line up with the doors beneath.

The bath. The bath in our current house is 1.8m ; i realise now this is quite a long bath. In the new bathroom I don't want the bath tight against each wall - always looks 'squashed' too me. I could widen the bathroom or simply get maybe a 1.4m bath instead?

Bathroom toilet. We plan on having a wall hung toilet. I understand that wall will need to be thicker to accommodate this; but how thick?. I have found a super slim wall cistern anyone installed one of these??

https://www.livinghouse.co.uk/acatalog/slim-concealed-toilet-cistern-and-frames.html

We plan to add an external porch to make up for the removal of the architects solution.

I'm planning all this ready for the timber frame. What width should I allow for a door fitting? 100cm??  (to allow for lining , fixing, packing etc.?

Cheers

IMG_5519.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.42.38.png

Edited by pocster

That en-suite is too squashed.

Could it go the other side of the room. where you have "storage" taking in also the cupboard off the landing (which is where I would put the shower. Then the WC can go towards the left with the room stepping in if necessary or not going all the way to the windows so avoiding that constraint.  Have your "storage" instead where the en-suite is presently shown.

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That en-suite is too squashed.

Could it go the other side of the room. where you have "storage" taking in also the cupboard off the landing (which is where I would put the shower. Then the WC can go towards the left with the room stepping in if necessary or not going all the way to the windows so avoiding that constraint.  Have your "storage" instead where the en-suite is presently shown.

Hey!

Yeah the ensuite is a squash - TBH it's larger than our current ensuite.

It could go the other side and replace the storage & cupboard. Bathroom and ensuite were all put on the same side because the sewer access is that side. Not sure there would be enough of a fall to run from one side to the other for waste etc. beam and block floor.

I was concerned about 'stepping' on ensuite/storage not sure it would look right (hence why running right across)

Certainly would make for a nice larger shower.

But how do I get the waste across? also how does the wet underfloor heating pipes 'cross' the (presumably pumped) waste?.

Or do I take the waste high ? (via the ceiling ) across then down?

Edited by pocster

Cannot get my head around the ensuite yet - what are the internal dimensions please (1060 x 2090 ish?), but you do *not* imo want a loo cistern used by other people on the back of your bedroom wall. Move the bath by 90 degrees and put it on the outside wall?

Backing onto the ensuite may be OK.

Flushing noises at 3am or on a lazy Saturday morning while having B-in-B if people are visiting or if you have kids? 

For a small ensuire, if I have the dimensions right, that does not seem really tight. I thought anything from about 1x1.5m was doable.

It looks like a feature bedroom so have you considered eg a freestanding roll top bath facing the windows?

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

Cannot get my head around the ensuite yet - what are the internal dimensions please (1060 x 2090 ish?), but you do *not* imo want a loo cistern used by other people on the back of your bedroom wall. Move the bath by 90 degrees and put it on the outside wall?

Backing onto the ensuite may be OK.

Flushing noises at 3am or on a lazy Saturday morning while having B-in-B if people are visiting or if you have kids? 

For a small ensuire, if I have the dimensions right, that does not seem really tight.

It looks like a feature bedroom so have you considered eg a freestanding roll top bath facing the windows?

I did wonder about the bathroom loo against a bedroom because of noise.

Once someone had replied about how 'thick' that wall needs to be I was then going to ask about sound proofing.......

Wife didn't want freestanding roll top bath in bedroom - so that ended that conversation real quick !O.o

I did consider rotating the bath but it felt most 'efficient' across the bathroom width. Wife might also want his & her sinks (:|) so must allow for that possibility!!!

Ensuite as it stands dimensions internally are (allowing for frame + plasterboard etc. ) 70cm x 330cm

It won't be quite 330 because some boxing in must be allowed for the flue.

So a 70cm shower tray would fit. But allowing for the shower door opening i.e. clearing the sink - might be tight - or might just be my imagination!

My concern is a 70cm wide shower is tiny. If you re going to keep it that side, swap the shower and loo over, so the loo is in the narrow bit by the window, and the shower can be where the loo is shown, with the room from door stepped outwards.  We had the same in the last house and that "limited" us to a 1200mm shower.

Agree loo in main bathroom adjoining the bedroom will be an annoyance.

How thick is that stud dividing wall?

Remember the conversation about walk-in-wardrobes some time ago, when we talked about how thin a stud wall can be made. Around 65mm should be possible.  That will give a little extra.

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/14367-building-a-thin-partition-wall-how-thin-can-i-go/

Another possibility is a triangular ensuite across the corner.

Or to treat it like a kitchenette and have wardrobe type doors which are open to the bedroom when in use - so you borrow the floor space from the bedroom. The problem there is how to fit in the depth of a shower cubicle.

Also your "step" could be a sweeping curve. Didn't someone here do one?

Or you *could* turn it into his n hers posh WHBs on the bedroom side of the bathroom wall, and create a direct door into the bathroom for loo and shower.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

44 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

How thick is that stud dividing wall?

Remember the conversation about walk-in-wardrobes some time ago, when we talked about how thin a stud wall can be made. Around 65mm should be possible.  That will give a little extra.

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/14367-building-a-thin-partition-wall-how-thin-can-i-go/

Another possibility is a triangular ensuite across the corner.

Or to treat it like a kitchenette and have wardrobe type doors which are open to the bedroom when in use - so you borrow the floor space from the bedroom. The problem there is how to fit in the depth of a shower cubicle.

Also your "step" could be a sweeping curve. Didn't someone here do one?

Or you *could* turn it into his n hers posh WHBs on the bedroom side of the bathroom wall, and create a direct door into the bathroom for loo and shower.

Ferdinand

Hey

Thanks for the ideas.

I will make the internal dividing stud wall as thin as possible!

Not sure how a triangular ensuite would work ; can you sketch or explain?

I did see another thread with a nice curved wall - I took the logic that straight walls are easier for me xD

Cheers

Edited by pocster

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

My concern is a 70cm wide shower is tiny. If you re going to keep it that side, swap the shower and loo over, so the loo is in the narrow bit by the window, and the shower can be where the loo is shown, with the room from door stepped outwards.  We had the same in the last house and that "limited" us to a 1200mm shower.

Agree loo in main bathroom adjoining the bedroom will be an annoyance.

Yeah could do

i agree 70cm is too tight .

regarding loo against wall is there no sound proofing method I can use ??

Here is one idea for something more towards the triangular - the corner could be chopped off more eg if you used a corner whb and a corner wc. I could see this gong down to say 1.7x1.7m. That is a big shower. I do not see the this shower meeting the "big enough for 3 people" test, however.

Revolves around a quadrant shower.

It comes beyond the french window line, but leaves a useful space in front

bathroom-corber.jpg.7e9c5d456e0dd36845664eef081d66e6.jpg

If you google on things like "small ensuite designs" there are oodles of everything.

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

Here is one idea for something more towards the triangular - the corner could be chopped off more eg if you used a corner whb and a corner wc.

Revolves around a quadrant shower.

It comes beyond the french window line, but leaves a useful space in front

bathroom-corber.jpg.7e9c5d456e0dd36845664eef081d66e6.jpg

If you google on things like "small ensuite designs" there are oodles of everything.

Hey!

Now that's a neat solution for the ensuite!. The window positions aren't set in stone so could be moved to accommodate.

Are you suggesting this arrangement goes 'flue' side?

Here's the current bath room layout; and yes I agree with you all now that a toilet on a  bedroom wall is a bad idea. This limits things a bit.

Attached a suggestion; but is it too tight? (could wides the bathroom a bit to accommodate....

Thanks all!

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 16.32.03.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 16.37.33.png

• 4 months later...