Colour experts? Trying to match cedar with a RAL code

oranjeboom

I've ordered my front door from a continental manufacturer and need to provide them with a RAL or NCS colour code as I'd like them to match my cedar cladding. Any ideas what is the closest RAL match to unweathered Western red cedar is? I realise there will be colour variations in every cedar cut, but as long as it's a rough match....

The cladding won't be on the same face of the property, so a 100% match is not vital. I also realise that over time the cedar cladding will weather so eventually they won't match anyway.

TIA!

OB.

PS: Good to be back!

The cedar cladding on my house under the covered areas is still brown but in the areas washed by rain it's grey. That happened within 2 years. If your door and the surrounding cladding is protected then go for brown if not I'd go for grey. Whether it's brown or grey there are so may varying shades in cedar that IMHO you'll find it impossible to match with a RAL number.

If you can choose any colour in the spectrum, then please don't make it ral 9007 anthracite grey. It is the equivalent of magnolia. A colour for people who don't know what colour to choose. Western red cedar looks better with either darker or lighter greys if that's your thing. A brown painted door has the real potential to look terrible.

Thanks for the input....I can see myself painting the door every year as the cedar transitions from red brown to grey! Maybe I should just go for a completely different colour altogether....blue or pink!!!O.o  May be the safer way to go!