Steel framed apartments

jamiehamy

These are on the way up near our current flat. I'm trying to work out what the make up is here - the walls are steel framed, but can't quite make out what is sheathing it - some sort of board that is taped? Assuming insulation is packed into the steel and PIR or similar on the inside?I see the steel sections arriving every morning when i head to work. 

I think the exterior is to be rendered, so assuming this will be straight onto the boards? Seems all very lightweight. 

It's an extremely exposed location - hope it doesn't suffer the problems countless other new build flats down the Clyde have suffered with damp and moisture penetration. 

Would be interested if anyone knows any more about this?

Thanks, J 

DSC_0051.JPG

Its a "timber framed" type of construction but using steel for the wall frames. There are diagonal bracing members so they are not relying on the cladding for racking strength.  I doubt it's going to be directly rendered as they are wrapping it in Tyvek.

I've seen similar systems to this used in France, where they seem to use more steel in buildings anyway; most "stud" walls in French houses seem to be made using steel.  I suspect there's going to be a brick or rendered block external skin on that building, as there doesn't seem to be an easy way to fix cladding.  Be interesting to see what it looks like when a bit more work has been done.