Best value paint?

Crofter

Plasterer is finishing on site tomorrow and I'm quite excited about getting the paintbrushes out! I'm going to be very boring and just go for white everywhere, at least for the first few coats. Seems to make sense to do this now, before moving on to flooring etc.

I'll have to see what's available locally, but in general are there any brands or types I should be looking for, or avoiding?

We've only painted the kitchen - used Screwfix Leyland white for watered base coat and second coat,  followed by McPhersons Trade paint which went on well. 

For one wall,  we used Valspar dark blue which was brilliant - we could have got away with one coat one the base white which was impressive.  

The stuff we're using on site at the moment is superb but I can't remember what it is at the moment - I'll update later. For reference, my dad is a painter and decorator and he/we have used pretty much everything decent on the market over the years - this stuff is up there. One constraint is it only comes in limited colours but fortunately one of those is white!

Note that paint on new plaster has very different requirements to that on other surfaces :) 

5 hours ago, dpmiller said:

not spraying?

Probably not worth it for a DIY job on a small house, I think?

3 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

The stuff we're using on site at the moment is superb but I can't remember what it is at the moment - I'll update later. For reference, my dad is a painter and decorator and he/we have used pretty much everything decent on the market over the years - this stuff is up there. One constraint is it only comes in limited colours but fortunately one of those is white!

Note that paint on new plaster has very different requirements to that on other surfaces :) 

Yes I was assuming that painting fresh plaster might have certain requirements. The plasterer suggested simply a watered down base coat, but he's no decorator. I've only ever painted onto paper before.

Thanks for all the suggestsions- Toolstation have some Leyland trade stuff at reasonable prices. I've also got a paint shop locally so will see what they stock.

Leyland High Opacity brilliant white Matt for me every single day. Goes on to new plaster without the grief of watering down and messing around and covers like you'd never believe. 2 coats in the same day and you’d swear it has had 4. 

This is NOT a finish coat btw, but rather almost a filler primer paint which will need light sanding before applying a quality ( Johnston's etc ) colour / white finish coat.

A product like 'Diamond Matt' from Dulux may suit you well for finish coat as its a scrubbable hard wearing top coat that can be cleaned rather than touched up ;)   

• Like 1

I went with Armstead Trade contract matt emulsion for the mist coat (thinned 1 litre water to every 5 of emulsion) and 1st full coat, then finished with Armstead Durable Matt as the final / finish coat.  Seems to be a pretty robust / cleanable finish.  

Although it's a bit more expensive, I've been impressed with the rooms where we used Dulux Durable emulsion.  I've washed marks off those rooms a few times now, whereas the rooms painted in the other finished have needed touching up where I've tried to wash marks off.

Agree, the Armstead durable was likewise considerably more expensive than contract matt, but does seem to work as a washable surface.  

It's certainly can't be scrubbed, but then I doubt any painted surface could be.

I'm presuming the right/best paint to go straight over the plaster will not be the same stuff that I want as the final surface. There's a bamboozling amount of choice out there!

How do people find the coverage guides? If it says e.g. 12m2/litre, is it generally best to assume it will only actually give you, say, 10m2?

Washable/scrubbable paint as a final coat is certainly the plan. We've got some 'wipeable' paint on the bathroom here and it's great- I think that one had some sort of antifungal properties too, and certainly doesn't show any signs of getting mouldy.

If I stick to my favoured vendor, Toolstation ("the pound shop of the building trade") then my choices seem to be:

- Leyland Trade Acrylic Eggshell ('10 times tougher than conventional matt and silk')

- Leyland Trade Hardwearing Matt (washable, scrubbable, extremely durable... stain and moisture resistant)

- Leyland Trade Vinyl Matt Emulsion (smooth, hard-wearing, durable... wipeable finish)

The quantities I'm talking about aren't enormous, and as I'm doing the work myself I'm happy to pay a bit extra for something that's easier to apply and/or longer lasting.

Valspar trade contract matt - this is 1 coat directly on to new plaster, not watered down. Also suitable as top coat. (Mrs used to work for Valspar and insisted on it, I had doubts, had to eat my hat!)

£24 for 10L

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

I used Wickes plaster sealer then two coats Brewers own emulsion. On the woodwork I used Brewers own primer and then two coats of their eggshell. I used the plaster sealer based on its reviews and it was excellent.

41 minutes ago, Grosey said:

Valspar trade contract matt - this is 1 coat directly on to new plaster, not watered down. Also suitable as top coat. (Mrs used to work for Valspar and insisted on it, I had doubts, had to eat my hat!)

£24 for 10L

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

Hmm... Might need to give it a go. It adheres okay and no issues with rubbing off? 

i have usually used Leyland Trade, which has been satisfactory - from a local Johnstones Centre where they were willing to give an account from cold despite a smallish purchase (-15% iirc). But I think there were other places more compettive, but they were good in matching colours. I think the white was available at a lower price elsewhere.

One question - if the current paint is too easily ruboffable, will that have much impact on the top coat, or should I be OK?

I will have to try the Valspar one.

Cheers

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

Hmm... Might need to give it a go. It adheres okay and no issues with rubbing off? 

I'll be doing a couple of coats myself this evening so I'll report back with first hand experience. So far it is all her handiwork but she seemed to get it going on ok. I feel if we can get away with 2 coats of this over the whole house it would be a false economy to use anything else. 

5 minutes ago, Grosey said:

I'll be doing a couple of coats myself this evening so I'll report back with first hand experience. So far it is all her handiwork but she seemed to get it going on ok. I feel if we can get away with 2 coats of this over the whole house it would be a false economy to use anything else. 

This stuff? http://www.diy.com/departments/valspar-trade-white-matt-wall-ceiling-paint-10l/971878_BQ.prd

Not too expensive... has to be worth a go!

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

@Grosey How did you find the coverage? I've got about 140m2 total to do.

Hard to say due to the nature of the room in roof that we are currently painting, funny angles and wardrobe sections etc. 5L got 1 coat pretty much all over that bedroom in the photo which is approx 5m x 6m x 2.4m - this includes the ceiling.  We will probably be sticking to this stuff now, I've said to her if it's 10L per room at £24 to a fully decorated finish then I'm happy. 

Quick calculations suggest we are probably around the 10m2/L I think - which seems acceptable?

Will be easier to give feedback back on the coverage when we are out of the roof and in to the bigger open plan sections downstairs. If I forget to post a reply feel free to give me a nudge if anyone is interested?

Edited by Grosey
Added calculations