Worst blog ever..

Trw144

1 hour ago, Frogeye said:

Well done. It looks spectacular - you must be really chuffed.

Was this your first project?

Looking forward to some pictures of your stove!

We did a build a few years back - but it already had detailed plans and we could nt change it much. This one was a complete blank canvas and we managed to get planning for exactly what we wanted. Believe it or not, I don't actually have a stove - we just could nt get the layout to work without the flue going right through the middle of one of upstairs bedrooms! 

Stunning - well done for getting the landscaping done also, really makes a difference.

Can't wait until I get my paving and turf down in a few weeks, getting bored of the rubble & weeds look!

Lovely stuff.  We have an almost identical balcony to our bedroom.

On that point, any chance you might share details (particularly sections) of your balcony, especially the balustrade mounting and flooring detail?

Your cladding looks a lot better than ours. We have Siberian larch. I've been interested to learn that weathering is at least, if not more, driven by exposure to rain than sun. This means that under every overhang we have a diagonal line where the rain gets to. I expected weathering gradients under the overhangs due to the sun, but thought they'd be a lot more of a transition than a messy line.

Just now, jack said:

I've been interested to learn that weathering is at least, if not more, driven by exposure to rain than sun. This means that under every overhang we have a diagonal line where the rain gets to. I expected weathering gradients under the overhangs due to the sun, but thought they'd be a lot more of a transition than a messy line.

We've got exactly that effect on our untreated cedar cladding. Rain seems to wash the colour out far more than UV affects it.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2017 at 16:35, Mr Punter said:

Looks fantastic.  Can you get rid of the kids toys or have them sprayed grey (the toys, not the kids)?

Kids toys are now in a couple of large grey outdoor storage boxes so that problems solved for now. Just need to tackle their playroom now as it's rammed full of stuff - downside of grandparents who adore them is too many toys. By the time you find a home for the Xmas stuff, it's their birthday!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jack said:

Lovely stuff.  We have any almost identical balcony to our bedroom.

On that point, any chance you might share details (particularly sections) of your balcony, especially the balustrade mounting and flooring detail?

Your cladding looks a lot better than ours. We have Siberian larch. I've been interested to learn that weathering is at least, if not more, driven by exposure to rain than sun. This means that under every overhang we have a diagonal line where the rain gets to. I expected weathering gradients under the overhangs due to the sun, but thought they'd be a lot more of a transition than a messy line.

I ll have to try and find the final detail - essentially it's a flat roof with firrings to give it a fall either side (high point in the middle), and it has been built up with a couple of timbers on the outside edge which the Epdm membrane runs up, across and down. The balcony has then been screwed down with coach bolts through the timbers, and every other screw it is going past the timbers and into a steel section below.

Edited by Trw144
  • Like 1

Interesting, thanks.  If you happen to come across it, that'd be great. I'm still puzzling over exactly how to handle mine, which is frameless glass like yours (into an extruded aluminium channel - is the grey strip along the bottom of yours a channel like that?)

On 19/06/2017 at 19:48, jack said:

Interesting, thanks.  If you happen to come across it, that'd be great. I'm still puzzling over exactly how to handle mine, which is frameless glass like yours (into an extruded aluminium channel - is the grey strip along the bottom of yours a channel like that?)

Here's some pics that hopefully help - the grey strip is a trim piece for the Epdm to give it a nice edge....

One of my final outstanding jobs is to put some composite decking down in the balcony. Need to measure up and work out what adjustable feet and frame I can use as the overall threshold needs to stay quite low.

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5404.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG

• Like 1

On 17/06/2017 at 13:25, Trw144 said:

Yes - the planning permission  was for two houses so I actually built two, and sold the other

Looks excellent Tom!  

Being in rural Hereford, are you able to say how much real interest there was when it came to trying to sell a 'modernist' house? Is there unsatisfied demand out there?

I don't think I have ever seen a Developer-built modernist house - so its great that the tradition (it all started in the 1930's after all) is being kept alive.

I know the standard of your internal fixtures and fittings was very high - it retrospect, are you able to say if that made a difference?

@Fallingditch

It probably turns on your definition of Developer and Modernist Houses !

Not something I know a huge aamount about, but there are eg small cul-de-sacs of half a dozen being done who I call developers (have those near here), or serial one-at-a-time developers who like modern - places like the South Coast and London. 

We have a coalition of 4 locals here who have PP for about 22 houses in a wooded area around an old manor house, who are selling it as acre-plots with houses custom built to customer designs. Could go modernist, but stonkingly expensive,

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/new-homes-to-be-built-for-affluent-area-of-mansfield-1-7985048

Here is one done as part of a 3 house garden development a few years ago near here:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43689787#eI6Pff4giHSQbvGt.97

Not really sure I call that "modern", and the HS2-East Coast Mainline link is going through 200m away.

I recall that someone did a couple of Solar Hemicycle houses (in the Home Counties?) inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's work in the last couple of years. 

Being simplistic, I am not actually sure that it was different last time round in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s - Council Estates and eg SPAN aside. Innovative construction techniques, yes ... the trad looking Boots Estate near Nottingham University are steel-frame and quite modular iirc. The well-known innovative stuff I remember is architects and well-off developers, then innocative Councils, then rather downhill as the accountants asserted control.

I would be interested to hear your further comments.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

5 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

Looks excellent Tom!  

Being in rural Hereford, are you able to say how much real interest there was when it came to trying to sell a 'modernist' house? Is there unsatisfied demand out there?

I don't think I have ever seen a Developer-built modernist house - so its great that the tradition (it all started in the 1930's after all) is being kept alive.

I know the standard of your internal fixtures and fittings was very high - it retrospect, are you able to say if that made a difference?

We sold in a week, after three people showed an interest. and then subsequently had a few people asking us if we would consider selling our own house!. Given we are in rural Hereford, then its not like you have lots of choice when it comes to buying a modern house so its hard to know if it was caused by large demand, or that supply is very small. We sold the house without the final internal finishes done - it suited me and it suited the buyer so cant say how much this had an affect.

Also, I m not sure if I classify truly as a developer - I just happened to find a plot with planning for two houses instead of one. Although, of course I was very much a developer when I was opening trade accounts left right and centre!

Edited by Trw144

5 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

7 minutes ago, Trw144 said:

We sold in a week, after three people showed an interest. and then subsequently had a few people asking us if we would consider selling our own house!. Given we are in rural Hereford, then its not like you have lots of choice when it comes to buying a modern house so its hard to know if it was caused by large demand, or that supply is very small.

A friend of mine is one of the owners of themodernhouse.net. He says that very modern houses put off a lot of people, but the ones that aren't put off tend to absolutely love them, and are willing to pay a significant premium not to live in a dull developer-type house.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jack said:

A friend of mine is one of the owners of themodernhouse.net. He says that very modern houses put off a lot of people, but the ones that aren't put off tend to absolutely love them, and are willing to pay a significant premium not to live in a dull developer-type house.

Yes, I would say that is probably true given how much I was offered on my own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Got to give you a warm feeling though. You looking to do it again commercially? 

I'd like to but its definitely a case of finding the right plots at the right price - I would only want smallish developments of say 1-3 houses, and I'm also conscious that I probably need to keep to the high end, price premium properties. Whilst I can organise, project manage and buy things at the right price - I work full time and couldn't make the labour savings that a builder could when doing the same thing. A builder doing it can effectively treat his wages whilst doing it as profit, or visa versa.

• 2 months later...

Could do with some lighting ideas - was thinking of a uplighters on each of the four bay/olive trees and some floodlights/spotlights onto the walls by the garage and the single story on the other side. Will be building a matching tiled step by the front door with a recessed spot light shining up from either side