Foundation for outbuilding...please help....

Simon

Just a though - if you are going cart lodge style then you will have the weight taken by the posts not the walls. 

You could probably get away with big pads (i.e. 600x600x750) under each post and then a lightweight trench between. 

If there are openings rather than garage doors have you considered using a block pave or even bound hoggin surface as that won't need a structural concrete base in the garage. It would reduce your concrete substantially. 

44 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Just a though - if you are going cart lodge style then you will have the weight taken by the posts not the walls. 

You could probably get away with big pads (i.e. 600x600x750) under each post and then a lightweight trench between. 

If there are openings rather than garage doors have you considered using a block pave or even bound hoggin surface as that won't need a structural concrete base in the garage. It would reduce your concrete substantially. 

Or gravel.

We had something very similar to what @PeterW describes at our last house. Timber posts concreted into the ground, sleepers between posts to retain the type 1 upfill that was compacted and covered with gravel finished to the same height as the drive. Timber frame /studs at 600mm centres between posts to form the wall structure and provide bracing, clad with shiplap timber. Trusses and purlins, sarked with OSB then roof covering (onduline in that instance). Didn't bother with a garage door, just left it open. Worked really well, was inexpensive and looked good.

Thankyou all SO MUCH!

You guys are a mine of information, and we now see lots of possibilities open to us, not just a zillion metric tonnes of earth moving and concrete, as we had been (poorly) advised...we are very grateful, and if any of you want to drop down our very nice local, I owe you a nice cold beer!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Thankyou all SO MUCH!

You guys are a mine of information, and we now see lots of possibilities open to us, not just a zillion metric tonnes of earth moving and concrete, as we had been (poorly) advised...we are very grateful, and if any of you want to drop down our very nice local, I owe you a nice cold beer!

Mines a nice IPA - or if you're that way a pint of Uffa Gold if they are still brewing in Ufford ... @Nickfromwales only drinks cheap lager so he can drive ....

In all seriousness it's about what you will use it for - if it's to cover a car just so you don't need to de-ice it then an open fronted garage will work fine. Will also look better too than a row of doors ..!

Plenty of good sawmills in that neck of the woods too - waney edge chestnut boards or something similar stained black will blend right in. For the storage bit you may find just a floating slab is needed and build it up with blockwork and clad the outside, or even a quick TF and make it "touch" the garages but not be attached so everything can move. 

Quick sketch may be useful to get your ideas across ...

On 6/17/2017 at 16:45, Ferdinand said:

What was that sentence?

Paraphrasing : while our soil survey recommended steel sleeved concrete piles, the SE  pointed out they were  not mandatory - for example stone improvement columns would be acceptable. Price difference? Between £10 and £18.5K. 

He also pointed out that the piling mat we needed happened also to fit in beautifully with our landscaping design.

He didn't need to point out what to him was the blindingly obvious. But he bothered to engage with his customer.

That's why , even though he has been over cautious elsewhere on the design, I would have no hesitation recommending him (and this is the key bit in terms of this thread) for a similar design challenge. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PeterW said:

Mines a nice IPA - or if you're that way a pint of Uffa Gold if they are still brewing in Ufford ... @Nickfromwales only drinks cheap lager so he can drive ....

In all seriousness it's about what you will use it for - if it's to cover a car just so you don't need to de-ice it then an open fronted garage will work fine. Will also look better too than a row of doors ..!

Plenty of good sawmills in that neck of the woods too - waney edge chestnut boards or something similar stained black will blend right in. For the storage bit you may find just a floating slab is needed and build it up with blockwork and clad the outside, or even a quick TF and make it "touch" the garages but not be attached so everything can move. 

Quick sketch may be useful to get your ideas across ...

Can we introduce a Buy Ferdinand a Beer system?

I was looking for something for my sig :D. And that is nicely blog old-school.

For your storage you could at its simplest just put a shed inside one bay. Or get one if these garden buildings made to size to be a home office too if needed for 2-3k, and put that inside a bay.

@recoveringacademic Tx.

Edited by Ferdinand