MVHR and pollen

25 minutes ago, Vijay said:

As I'm suffering really badly with hay fever this year, I wondered if anyone with MVHR found it's helped at all with pollen?

Vijay

Try and find a beekeeper who makes honey LOCALLY to you i.e. it'll be from the pollen that's possibly causing your hayfever. My nephew (by marriage) has moved near to us out in the sticks and was suffering terribly. Works for him. We pay about £4 a jar for immediately local Kent honey. Know the beekeeper anyway.

11 minutes ago, Vijay said:

What would I do with the honey??

By eating small amounts of honey made from the flowers that have pollen you're allergic to, your immune system can get desensitised to the pollen allergens.  It takes time to work, but it is effective.  A former colleague found out about it a few years ago, after suffering from hayfever as soon as the rape seed plants were in flower.  Rape seed honey isn't that pleasant, but it was effective at significantly reducing her hay fever

3 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Oh, so to desensitize me over time.

Would MVHR help in anyway though?

Yes, an MVHR with a pollen filter on the intake would certainly reduce the level of pollen inside the house, as long as it's fairly well sealed and the doors and windows are kept closed when there is a lot of pollen around.  Our MVHR has a pollen filter on the intake as standard, and I think this is a fairly common feature.  If you get an MVHR that doesn;t have a pollen filter then you should be able to swap out the one it has with one that will filter out pollen.  I had a large batch of filters made up for our MVHR by Jasun Envirocare, and they turned out to be a lot cheaper than the standard filters supplied by the Genvex dealer, and a very effective at removing very fine particles from the incoming air.

The trouble is that if you seal yourself off completely from the allergen you might actually make your reaction worse when exposed to it. Try the honey trick, and yes EAT it! :)

Have a look here for London honey:

http://www.lbka.org.uk

I'm now wondering if I could make some mead with it!

I'm sure I saw on the forecast that weed pollen is high too and part of the problem with bad sufferers right now - you're not gonna try and persuade me to eat weeds off my plot are you :D

18 minutes ago, Vijay said:

I'm sure I saw on the forecast that weed pollen is high too and part of the problem with bad sufferers right now - you're not gonna try and persuade me to eat weeds off my plot are you :D

Stinging nettles are fantastic to eat. Pick the tops (with gloves ), boil and serve with butter and pepper. You won't get a stung mouth honest! 

Bees will take pollen from weeds to so it's all beneficial wherever it comes from.

• Like 2