Mvhr install - makita drill casualties

Just spent the last two days install the pipe work and some of the plenums for the mvhr system.

Definitely not a job to tackle on your own! Feeding the pipe, or 50m red python, through posijoists and holes in floors is a fiddle to say the least, towards the end finding a route for the 19th pipe was a challenge...

What amazed me most was the toll on our drills! Lots of 79mm holes to be drilled through floors and joists, but did not expect three, yes three, makita 18v drills to start smoking and subsequently fail, all were of a 2014 vintage. Clearly not a good year... Generally I have found their 18v range of tools excellent, but surprised at this failure rate.

Did not feel we were abusing them, very gingerly using the fourth at the end, as need to complete the task and get the insulation in before plasterboarding commences..

Heyho, on the grand scale not horrendous. 

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

I have a suspicion that there may be a difference between the black Makita drills and the blue and black ones.  One of the guys working on our build had a couple of the blue and black ones burn out, but his much older all-black ones were fine.  My 2011 vintage all black 18V one drilled all the 75mm holes for our ducting, and is still working fine.  It also pushed my 16ft cordless drill challenge boat around a lake at around 10 kts, although it did get a bit warm!

Anyone else got any evidence to support this theory about the two types of Makita drill?

One of my Dewalts blew up last week doing the same thing. Swapped to a 240v drill and it was like going through butter. 

Me being me took drill apart and found there was a plastic coating around the metal coils that had disintegrated. Cleaned it out and it works again. :D

Well done, running MVHR duct seems to be a self build badge of honour :)

I used an old hitachi 240v corded drill to go through our 22mm OSB floor deck  - surprisingly tough material. I used to drill 2/3 from above and 1/3 from below to get a neat hole.

Where I had a lot of pipes coming together, I used a jigsaw to do a square cut, can't say it was much easier though - got through quite a few blades.

Hindsight, is a wonderful thing! Although I must say the advice on here has helped immensely across the build.

Did consider four oblong slots for the pipes, but decided that individually holes would probably be easier to seal around with acoustic / intumescent sealant afterwards. Time will tell. Would certainly have been cheaper, as would using a mains drill, my build is circa 100 miles from home, don't leave any power tools onsite, and my 2 seater convertible has a rather limited load capacity!

Need to get a new drill today, was going to be brand loyal (?!), have lots of other tools in the range, and a couple of new batteries and a charger are always handy..

this is look a good bet?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp459sfe-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/6407p#product_additional_details_container

2 hours ago, dogman said:

Swapped to a 240v drill and it was like going through butter. 

It is always good to know with a corded drill that you have a power station (Hopefully alternative energy based) on the other end of the wire to keep things turning. 

1 hour ago, Jimbouk said:

Hindsight, is a wonderful thing! Although I must say the advice on here has helped immensely across the build.

Did consider four oblong slots for the pipes, but decided that individually holes would probably be easier to seal around with acoustic / intumescent sealant afterwards. Time will tell. Would certainly have been cheaper, as would using a mains drill, my build is circa 100 miles from home, don't leave any power tools onsite, and my 2 seater convertible has a rather limited load capacity!

Need to get a new drill today, was going to be brand loyal (?!), have lots of other tools in the range, and a couple of new batteries and a charger are always handy..

this is look a good bet?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp459sfe-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/6407p#product_additional_details_container

So I've been "blue all the way" with tools for 10 years - this year I've swapped one item as I've noticed that the Wickes own brand is remarkably similar to the Makita units side by side. I'm trying the 10.2v LiOn cordless as a trade off as it £29 vs £89 and I want to see how long it will take to "break" it...

8 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Could a sharper holesaw have saved your drills?

Good point.  I found there's a big difference when cutting through OSB between the hole saws that are designed for cutting holes in metal boxes to take conduit or grommets and those designed for cutting wood.  The ones intended to cut wood seemed to have a bigger kerf and this tended to clear sawdust away more easily.  The first big hole saw I tried when fitting the ducting was one from a set intended for fitting downlighters, and that made really hard work of cutting OSB, despite being a bi-metal saw, with hardened teeth.  It needed a lot more lifting and clearing for each cut, plus the teeth clogged very easily.

4 hours ago, Jimbouk said:

this is look a good bet?

Max torque given as only 45Nm.

My main cordless is a much abused BHP451with 80Nm. Love it.

I think I remember the 458 or 9  replaced the 451and for some reason was inferior.

• 4 months later...

Only fair to update this, finally got round to sending two of the dead drills back to Makita. Someone had thrown away the third.

They returned a few days later, fully refurbished, no charge. Great customer service!