Another From The North Of Ireland (and a hell of a lot more information and self-build chat.)

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

Not going to let the minor issue of a change in forum derail this thread......so before we were interrupted.......

I have gone ahead with building the garage - single story, block build with a pitched roof facing due south. Build is due to start in the next week or so. We are to have a 4Kw in-roof PV array and are looking for suppliers. We have talked to Solamatix and are looking for other recommendations for in-roof installers -any ideas ?

We need to get a move on before the ROC payments drop again in October

They were my first option but by god did they not torment me with phone calls trying to push the sale through. Nearly a call every 2-3 days at all hours of the day. After that it was a polite no.

Sun renewables done mine and a few others here but I don't know about the in roof type.

• Like 1

Guest Alphonsox

The in-roof bit seems to be the issue, not many people offering it that I can find. I intend to contact Sun Renewables and see if they can help. Initial quotes from Solamatix seem high so we'll need to do some haggling to get the prices down.

This might be of use, it might not, but I had a company from Bolton, who were prepared to travel to Orkney and install an in roof system.  They currently advertise at £4K for a retrofit, £4.5K for an in roof, covering a large swathe of England and the Scottish borders.  Beyond that they add on some travel and accommodation costs.  PM me if you want their details.

Oh, and welcome aboard Declan.

4 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

The in-roof bit seems to be the issue, not many people offering it that I can find. I intend to contact Sun Renewables and see if they can help. Initial quotes from Solamatix seem high so we'll need to do some haggling to get the prices down.

It's good to be back! 

I can put you in touch with the guys that installed my in roof system if you'd like?

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Price wise how do the different types vary when you take into account not needing as many roof tiles and maybe less labour for in the roof system. 

Looked at the in roof systems and they come in about £30 for the panel holder plus another £15 for fittings and then flashings if needed. Worked out pretty similar to using tiles, and cheaper than slate !

Brilliant, it's back.

I was thinking of doing a copy on my intro thread but I see it's here!

I spoke to David from Sun renewables and he quoted me 5200 for the 4kw system with In-roof.  Said the inroof system could be hooked up to the MHRV but not sure if thats the best idea, as Jeremy mentioned it may unbalance the flow rates.

Have to contact him again to confirm counter batten sizes etc for roofer to get started. Trusses are getting ordered this week!

Damian

The road in. Don't do too much in case you have to change anything. Just have it all planned out and approx prices of blocks & concrete etc. Go round a few builders yards and see what kind of discount they can do for you. 

Have you pegged the outline out on site yet???

Guest Alphonsox

Basic services - have you contacted NI Water, Openreach, NIE, Environmental/ Sewage treatment, gas supply (depending on where you are)

I intend to get the road in and fencing done ready to get hedging in the autumn. Will probably get water supply sorted also and duct for electric cable pulls to gates at the same time. I probably can't get elec until wall box in place, I know roughly where it is coming from.

Never thought about pegging/painting outline.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alphonsox

Our plastering is proceeding at a very quick pace, so it's time to start thinking planning the second fix. We are intending to have the place spray painted internally, does anyone have any recommendations for who to contact for a quote ?

Guest Alphonsox

I found the following on Michael's blog from Dec 2015

"Quote for internal painting of the walls and ceilings came in at £780 if all one colour, or £860 for two tone. This is for a 3650sqft house and based on 3 sprayed on coats, inclusive of masking and materials. Price for the garage was £230 (approx. 1600sqft), but I'm sure we'd get both for under £1000 if everything is (off) white. "

Unfortunately no details of the company. Sounds like a good price to me.

Guest Alphonsox

Don't know - I don't have an email for him, we used the ebuild PM system. I have sent a text but no reply.

1 hour ago, DeeJunFan said:

sliders had a decent quote but i'm not sure if he has made it to the new forum yet.

I'm just getting scaffolding up today, so i'm no help yet.

The arms will be sore today dee. Def taps aff weather!!!! 

My arms are already fooked.

I'm in work today, a local fella is back from england for a few weeks and gave us a hand moving all the scaffolding over so he is going to put it up for me.

£70 per day so working out well.

We were planning on loading it all onto a massive trailer my uncle had but his van went bye bye and we couldn't pull it so it took 10 loads of a smaller trailer.

Was roasted moving it all over.