Another From The North Of Ireland (and a hell of a lot more information and self-build chat.)

Guest Alphonsox

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

My current Draytek will do ADSL and VDSL as well as sharing or dropping back onto an attached USB dongle. Their latest (2860Ln) has the 3G/4G built in.

Have you a Vodafone sim in the Draytek dpmiller?

3 hours ago, Ryan85 said:

Have you a Vodafone sim in the Draytek dpmiller?

No,  I've neither dongle or sim for the 2850 currently but I fear it'll come into it's own when we move to the new place as the kilometre of copper down the lane doesn't offer brilliant sppeds I believe.

On 03/10/2017 at 09:20, Ryan85 said:

WeeGaz,

What 4G Router did you buy and how are you finding it. I still have the Sky broadband that me nor the wife use as the download speed is slower than dial up lol.

Ryan, we got a huawei b315 router with a 50gb pay monthly sim with Vodafone.  Really good job, only down side is that internet is that fast it eats data, we haven't even wired up sky to it yet and use the full allowance each month.  Range and service are both excellent but we have to keep it at a window at the front of the house to get the network service.

I still want to pull our BT line up and get it wired up also, but currently pleased with the 4g router.

• 1 month later...

Ok - we've received our tenders, reduced our spec and received our revised tenders and I'm delighted to report that the bottom 3 prices are within 1% of each other. Either they are all colluding or we can be pretty confident that the prices are fair (hope it's the 2nd one!) 

So now that we can choose a builder, someone has suggested that we need to employ our architect during the build to sign-off the build at certain points. Apart from sign-off for mortgage purposes, can any of you give me any good reasons why I should employ our architect DURING the build?

One advantage is that they would ensure works are undertaken to the specification i.e. Plans. We debated this also, we decided to go alone, We have a good relationship with builder who has an excellent reputation and saves money. 

I used my architect to sign of the stages of my build. He will come out have a look and then write a letter confirming your build is built to wall plate/first fix/plastered out etc and is built according to the relevant standards. This is the proof your mortgage company needs to release the next stage payment.

If you are not using him for this then why pay him any more. If you are still on good terms with him and  he has already been paid up for what he has done then he should answer any queries you might have and I would say he would be more than happy to call out and have a look at what you have done.

Think I paid £1600 for mine to write what was basically 3 very short worded letters confirming I had got to each stage and was done correct. You are really only using him for his indemnity insurance. It was a stipulation of the Ulster Bank so just had to pay up to get the money released. 

Who do you plan to use if you don't go with the architect to use to release the funds.