Another From The North Of Ireland (and a hell of a lot more information and self-build chat.)

Guest Alphonsox

48 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Thanks Declan,

I have been looking at 1000mm x 8" high x 5" wide - £13.00 + VAT (per metre) from a company in Newry.

Haven't yet priced around.  It will be a two man job, my brother will be helping......whether he likes it or not :)

You will need a kerb lifter for them and a spare back!!!

Like every job its all in the preparation that makes it easy. Lifting the kerbs is the quick bit.

I have seen a lot of houses using garden edges instead of kerbs. Gives a nice cleaner look than a big chunky kerb for the wife to scrape the car wheels on.

Edited by Declan52

16 hours ago, Declan52 said:

You will need a kerb lifter for them and a spare back!!!

Like every job its all in the preparation that makes it easy. Lifting the kerbs is the quick bit.

I have seen a lot of houses using garden edges instead of kerbs. Gives a nice cleaner look than a big chunky kerb for the wife to scrape the car wheels on.

Do you mean like a pin kerb Declan?

17 hours ago, vfrdave said:

Hi @Weegaz good to hear you have moved in how things settling down for you?

Those are fairly beefy kerbs, I assume they are granite?

Things are good Dave, just getting used to the increase in space mostly. We have the stairs to finish off properly and also looking at the outside works at the minute.

yes kerbs are granite I have been looking at but up for other suggestions if anyone has any.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any issues getting upc downpipes in the 7016? And more so brackets in that colour? Need brackets that are close to the wall (as no fascia) and trying to avoid an s bend between the gutter and the downpipe.

Any help appreciated .

Morning all, how much would you expect to pay for second hand kwikstage scaffolding approx the following:-

40 9'9' standards

50 4'2' transoms

30 8' ledgers

36 8' planks

20 adjustable base jacks

Thanks in advance

45 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

Morning all, how much would you expect to pay for second hand kwikstage scaffolding approx the following:-

40 9'9' standards

50 4'2' transoms

30 8' ledgers

36 8' planks

20 adjustable base jacks

Thanks in advance

I sold  a batch just slightly less than that amount (only 30 boards and only 10 base jacks) for £1100 last year

don't forget to get some diagonal braces as well.

46 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I sold  a batch just slightly less than that amount (only 30 boards and only 10 base jacks) for £1100 last year

don't forget to get some diagonal braces as well.

So £750 would be a good deal if it is in reasonable condition

38 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

So £750 would be a good deal if it is in reasonable condition

I would say so. Check the condition of the boards. When I bought my first lot, I then stored it (badly) for nearly 2 years, then found half my boards were rotten, so I had to buy a whole load more.  My "test" was to support both ends of a board on a concrete block so just a few inches off the grounf and then jump up and down on the middle of the board. If it didn't break, I used it. If it did break then it was only a few inches to drop and no harm done.

BT connection, were any of you charged for site surveys, cabling and ducting?  In the past i have heard of people getting this all thrown out for free.  Looking at the online new site connections form it is quoting prices for all of these.

15 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Nope. Bt guy came out and dropped me off the length of cable needed and told me where he wanted it brought to. Came back a few days later and hooked it up.

Did BT pull cable for you Declan?

Our ducts are in and the 2 rolls of cable are lying in the garage

Guest Alphonsox

We got charged for our BT cable - It was a reasonable long length so that may have had something to do with it.

7 hours ago, Weegaz said:

Did BT pull cable for you Declan?

Our ducts are in and the 2 rolls of cable are lying in the garage

Yes, double checked this when the guys where fitting ducts. Will have a go at it one of these weekends.

On another note, we have to get our level access to doors for building control. Does anyone know if me putting down sand and a few flags would suffice as a temporary measure as the paving won't be completed properly for at least another 3 months

• 1 month later...

I'm planning to use a Main Contractor and am about to go out to tender.

I'll be asking for an elemental breakdown of costs so I can hopefully compare quotes.

Have any of you got a good example of an elemental breakdown that you could share with me?

Thanks.

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 13:36, JohnW said:

I'm planning to use a Main Contractor and am about to go out to tender.

I'll be asking for an elemental breakdown of costs so I can hopefully compare quotes.

Have any of you got a good example of an elemental breakdown that you could share with me?

Thanks.

Hi John,

What house type are you building and what is the floor area. I had a QS do an elemental breakdown at the beginning I could send you. In saying that PIR insulation has went throught the roof and is going up again shortly.

Hi @Ryan85, it's a block build, 200mm fully filled cavity, 2 story house total floor area about 230 sq metres.

Thanks for the heads-up on the PIR prices, it seems ALL materials are going up in price. Gives me a feeling that the sooner I get started, the better.

Good idea to use a QS to compare gender prices. In our experience contractors are unwilling to tender for works which require a detailed breakdown. With demand high for a contractors some won't even look at plans. All our responses included PC sums, some have been estimated ok and others such as electrics and plumbing have gone up. Ours is 2600 sft with a PC sum of 13500 for plumbing UFH and rads upstairs, MHRV but PC sum was revised and is now 15,000. PC sums are way out, budget 20 percentage for increases and unforeseens