Another From The North Of Ireland (and a hell of a lot more information and self-build chat.)

Guest Alphonsox

4 minutes ago, Ryan85 said:

WeeGaz, I was in the exact same boat. We had three months to take the first draw down but Ulster bank allowed me some grace as I was just over the three month deadline. I do think they will give you a small bit of grace. I had huge problems with my solicitor and he near screwed us over. Horrid people

Thanks Ryan,

It will be close to offer period, but you know yourself how the panic can set in quickly on top of everything else as the deadline approaches.

Our solicitor has all the required info at the minute and is working through it.  We have until 12th Feb, so hopefully will be ok and hopefully UB work with us if required.

HI @Weegaz & @Ryan85  hope you don't mind me gate crashing your posts I am getting close to applying for my mortgage and starting the build soon.  One question I have, does the solicitor have to be involved in the mortgage process?  I don't particularly want to have to use mine as we had a few harsh words during the sale of my house and purchase of my site.

Got a letter yesterday informing me that all quarried products (block, sand, concrete, stone etc) are all increasing in price 1st March:-

£20 per 1000 block

£4 something a cube of concrete

£1.50 per tonne of stone

To name a few from memory from what was my chosen supplier, time to price around again or buy in a load of block to get started with.

2 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

@Shell820810 think it seems to be across the board, had another mate text me saying the same.  My supplier is/was stevensons, from memory your well up the country from me in co. down

Yeah ours was Creagh in toome. Do you want me to see if I can pull out our prices for comparison ?

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 09:17, vfrdave said:

HI @Weegaz & @Ryan85  hope you don't mind me gate crashing your posts I am getting close to applying for my mortgage and starting the build soon.  One question I have, does the solicitor have to be involved in the mortgage process?  I don't particularly want to have to use mine as we had a few harsh words during the sale of my house and purchase of my site.

VFR DAVE, I had a mortgage advisor set up my mortgage with Ulster Bank. The solicitor wasn't involved until I got the mortgage offer, once the mortgage advisor got me the offer I had to use a solicitor to accept the offer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alphonsox

Does anyone know a good place locally to source some trim to join vinyl to tile in a wetroom ? It seems to be known as "h" trim or "vinyl to tile capping"

This type of stuff

trim.jpg

I'm in Co. Down and I was wondering... can any of you good folk from NI give me your opinion on whether I should include a roof terrace or not in my build? It's currently included in the house design but I'm toying with the idea of building on up and having it as internal space instead, almost like a 1st floor sun room.

The few people I have spoken to say I'm mad having a roof terrace and that whilst the idea is nice, I'll use it very little, if at all.

Thanks

Could you do it as a sunroom but include sliding/inwards opening doors with a Juliet balcony so on the days the sun shines you can open the doors and enjoy it and on the days whens it's hurricane wind and horizontal rain you can still enjoy the view.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Could you do it as a sunroom but include sliding/inwards opening doors with a Juliet balcony so on the days the sun shines you can open the doors and enjoy it and on the days whens it's hurricane wind and horizontal rain you can still enjoy the view.

@Declan52 that sounds like a really good idea - Thanks

On 13/02/2017 at 19:14, vfrdave said:

Any of the NI contingent used the new liquid screed offering by CES Quarry

We've just had RTU Ultraflo screed put in a couple of weeks ago, builder dealt with it all so no dealings with any other companies, or even prices. It dried out enough to walk on and for sparks to get in for first fix within 48 hrs so seems ok to my untrained eye

46 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

We've just had RTU Ultraflo screed put in a couple of weeks ago, builder dealt with it all so no dealings with any other companies, or even prices. It dried out enough to walk on and for sparks to get in for first fix within 48 hrs so seems ok to my untrained eye

Hi @Weegaz can you share the cost of the RTU Ultraflo and why you chose this over regular sand & cement screed?

Also have you got UFH in the screed?

The reason I ask is that I sat in on a talk about Ultraflo at the Self Build show in Belfast on Friday and it was the first time I'd heard of it, but it looked good.

24 minutes ago, JohnW said:

Hi @Weegaz can you share the cost of the RTU Ultraflo and why you chose this over regular sand & cement screed?

Also have you got UFH in the screed?

The reason I ask is that I sat in on a talk about Ultraflo at the Self Build show in Belfast on Friday and it was the first time I'd heard of it, but it looked good.

Hi John, it was the builder who spec'd and installed as part of his full build so price wise I'm not sure. We have ufh heating on both floors and an air source heat pump for ufh and dhw. We're only at first fix stage

1 hour ago, Weegaz said:

Be interesting to hear how you get on with this, have heard of long drying time though that was without UFH to assist. The cemfloor stuff I referred to, which was also at the show @JohnW, is a different composition being cement based and very quick drying times.

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

How do they get it to dry quick and not shrink if it is cement based???

What's it like for sticking tiles too???

To be honest I dont know other than it dries from the top down rather than bottom up apparently.  It is a french product they have brought in and are sole suppliers in N Ireland at the moment.  They can also pour 100 m3 in one go without expansion seemingly.  In terms of tiling they report no issues and also report that you can tile on it after 5 days.

I am going to follow this up with a more indepth chat and visit to a few installs they have done.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steptoe said:

did you get a painter @Weegaz ?

I know a guy based in Portglenone that does my brother's work for him (and my brother is a fussy fkr), he happened to be doing some work for him when I was over just before Xmas.

I could ask him for his number if you want. 

That would be great if you could get number

On 2/20/2017 at 01:32, vfrdave said:

To be honest I dont know other than it dries from the top down rather than bottom up apparently.  It is a french product they have brought in and are sole suppliers in N Ireland at the moment.  They can also pour 100 m3 in one go without expansion seemingly.  In terms of tiling they report no issues and also report that you can tile on it after 5 days.

I am going to follow this up with a more indepth chat and visit to a few installs they have done.

I had got a brochure from them before the show and all looked good.  And spoke to them at the show.  They quoted roughly £15 p/m2 and said they would do a fixed price so no paying for an extra m3 of screed if they have mis-calculated.  

If all the things they say are true then it seems to have many of the benefits of the other liquid screeds but very few of the drawbacks.

Email Cemfloor brochure.pdf

2 hours ago, DeeJunFan said:

I had got a brochure from them before the show and all looked good.  And spoke to them at the show.  They quoted roughly £15 p/m2 and said they would do a fixed price so no paying for an extra m3 of screed if they have mis-calculated.  

If all the things they say are true then it seems to have many of the benefits of the other liquid screeds but very few of the drawbacks.

Email Cemfloor brochure.pdf

Yes they definitely talk a good story.  It looks great polished also though swmbo isn't convinced.

On another note you got your slate from slate supplies, which one did you put on? I was impressed with the quality of their slate at the show.