Another From The North Of Ireland (and a hell of a lot more information and self-build chat.)

Guest Alphonsox

My four stages with the ulster bank where, 1st wall plate, 2nd roof on, 3rd plastered out, 4 th complete.

Each cert than my architect wrote out went something like, I can confirm that following an inspection of the building at, house address, it has been plastered out and the building is in accordance with building regulations. 

Copied below from ebuild which may be of help (posted july 2014)

Teplo wall tie for 200mm cavity ~£1.75 each
GRP wall tie for 200mm cavity ~£1.28 each (200mm cavity max)
Stainless steel wall tie for 225mm cavity ~£0.62 each

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/13941-cavity-wall-in-new-build/page__p__93473__hl__teplo#entry93473

There is a company in Limerick (Southwest Ireland) that manufactured wide stainless wall ties. I have no idea what of cost, but I'd imagine they are reasonable priced. The company is Shannon coiled springs if anyone wants to check them out.

Folks in terms of NIE doing the final connection how pinnickidy are they? my spark has 90% of the work done bar a few pendants and low level lights. Will they still switch the power on if I put block connectors on the remaining cables.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my NI Water connection price through, on the face of it its not too bad:-

Connection: £888

Building Supply: £20

Infrastructure Charge Water £314

Total: £1222

What confuses me is they have stated that the watermain is 27.47 meters from my property.  My house will be alot more than that distance from the road.  From my boundary to the watermain, which is the other side of the road, would be 5.5m.

I do recall others having issues like this @slidersx200 definitely mentioned something similar on ebuild but I couldnt find an outcome.

Going to phone them and query but thought I would ask the wise on here first.

• 4 weeks later...

Evening folks, our new build is coming on rightly, timber frame is up, roof on and external block work going up.

we have to get a decision made on heating and current proposal is ashp, ufh to both floors and mvhr system.  It seems good setup and visited a few properties with same system installed.

Before I make the decision has anyone any comments on system or installed and can give feedback?

Guest Alphonsox

We have a similar system but have chosen not to install UFH on the first floor. This decision was reached on the basis that the house is near passive spec so the UFH wont be needed too often. We also like thick bedroom carpets which are not a good mix with UFH so instead we are using small electric panel radiators to take the edge off if and when required.

Currently we are working with a company who will supply and install:-

Hitachi Yutaki Monobloc ASHP 11Kw

300l unvented cylinder

UFH to both floors

Electric / plumbed towel rads to main bathroom, en suite and WC

Zehnder Comfo MVHR

Central Vacuum System

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:36, Shell820810 said:

Airtightness testing - recommendations and prices please? 

I'm using Atlantic air for mine. Having the test carried out towards the end of next week. They are usually 200 for the air tightness test Shell.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Spotlight tonight all about the rhi scheme, should be a good watch.

Thanks for the heads up. I will watch or record that.  I assume NI has the same RHI scheme as the rest of the UK?

I mentioned in another thread a friend of mine has paid £16K to have an air source heat pump installed.  I calculated the parts cost and a reasonable estimate (no a generous estimate) of the labour it took to install it would work out at £6K.  Therefore it appears to me he has paid a £10K premium to have it installed by a registered company in order to claim the RHI payments, which I hope for his sake add up to a lot more than £10K