SteamyTea

Grenfell Tower fire

I found this article that goes into reasonable detail about it.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/grenfell-tower-fire-millions-spent-14435366

It seems that the council have bought 307 homes but they are not all occupied yet.

It is not clear if they have actually bought more houses than needed and are planning to house other people.

It appears that they have spent around £765,000 per home. They have also spent around £25m on hotel accommodation.

This is not a high amount to spend in that area where house prices are extremely high. Of course this then gets you to the question of should tax payers pay to house people in areas where the average tax payer themselves could not afford to live. This isn't really relevant to Grenfell but more of a general question.

Posted (edited)

I listened to a R4 Today Programme interview on this report with the author, before it was released, last Thursday.

The today interviewer spent the entire interviewer obsessed with getting an admission that “combustible” materials should be banned. Dame whatever wanted to have a serious conversation.

Reminds me why I now listen to R5. At least they do not pretend that they are trying to be serious.

You will need to press play on the link, but the start point is correct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2gspb#playt=02h10m06s

Edited by Ferdinand

Posted (edited)

Someone called "lineweight" posted this detailed expert witness report on how the tower did/did not comply with the Building Regulations...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f9679e7k0yppyj/Dr Barbara Lane report_1.pdf?dl=0

It's full of horror stores so I just pick out.....

"11.18.22 I have found no evidence that proprietary cavity barriers were specified at any stage of the design or installed during construction to close the openings created in the external cavity walls by the windows."

snip

"11.18.29 I therefore conclude that every window opening in Grenfell Tower was not compliant with the provisions made in section 9.3 of ADB 2013 to provide cavity barriers to close around openings in the external wall"

Edited by Temp

That fits with the sectional drawings that were dug out shortly after the fire, before the companies involved started trying to cleanse the internet of any of them.  There were clear gaps shown where fire escaping from a window opening could directly access the void between the rainscreen cladding and the insulation in this drawing you posted back then, @Temp:

Cladding.jpg